Soft plastics ans lures

Deekay87

Hey guys ive relised that this topic was covered not long ago buy another fellow fisher and lots of great reviews  and tips. I think im in a simlar boat. Ive watch and read every article and video i can possibly find. I know how where etc but cant nail it on the head. I have bought everything and more that id need and still cant land consistant fish on lures and plastics. Ive caught 3 flat head on a drop off from a flat but that was luck. Is there any fisho who wouldny mind teaching? I have other types of fishing covered ie jewies etc and all fish on baits. Just want to learn how to on lures and sack the baits. I fish at least 2 times a week. Every weekend 1 day without fail. Only lure fishing im a pro at is squidding. I know time and effort pays off so im willing to do what it takes. Ive had fish follow and they dont touch it ?

You might be referring to my post (if not, you should read it!). What I've learned is:

1. Target flathead as a starting species. 

2. Target drop off points and channels, likely to hold flathead.

3. need to cover a large area - I.e. be methodical with the casting arc (10 o'clock, 12 o'clock and 2 o'clock) before moving 10metres or so along the edge and repeating it.

4. Go with friends, together you cover a lot of area quicker - sharing the experience of the catch is great and boosts confidence.

5. Use 1/8oz size 1 or 1/0 jigheads for most applications. Berkeley power minnow 3" (colours; watermelon, pearl blue, pumpkinseed). Fairly light line (6-10lb braid, 8-12lb FC leader). Light rod where you can feel when the jig head has hit the bottom. Important to cover lots of range , use a heavier jigheads (such as. 1/6oz or 1/4oz) if it helps.

6. Standard cast, let it drop with a loosely tight line (so that you know when it hits the bottom), hard flick up once it hits the bottom, slowly reel line in sync with the speed of the drop so that you can maintain a loose tightness in the line without affecting the drop - again so that you can feel when it hits the bottom or gets hit. keep repeating till you retrieve all the way. As you can probably tell, keeping constant connection and feel with the jig head is important (but without impacting the way the jig head drops). This is a fairly reliable method - other variables may be to use two flicks instead of one. 

Hope that helps mate, I'm still yet to catch bream on sps, but can reliably catch flatties now. 

As flatheads are bottom feeders - you might also consider metal vibe/blades lures:

- Easy to cast the distance

- Easy to maintain the contact  with lure,

- Perfect in windy condition or areas with current

- Does not require very sensitive/light $$ rod

- Just replace trebles with double hooks if fishing in area with snags.

6 hours ago, anthman said:

You might be referring to my post (if not, you should read it!). What I've learned is:

1. Target flathead as a starting species. 

2. Target drop off points and channels, likely to hold flathead.

3. need to cover a large area - I.e. be methodical with the casting arc (10 o'clock, 12 o'clock and 2 o'clock) before moving 10metres or so along the edge and repeating it.

4. Go with friends, together you cover a lot of area quicker - sharing the experience of the catch is great and boosts confidence.

5. Use 1/8oz size 1 or 1/0 jigheads for most applications. Berkeley power minnow 3" (colours; watermelon, pearl blue, pumpkinseed). Fairly light line (6-10lb braid, 8-12lb FC leader). Light rod where you can feel when the jig head has hit the bottom. Important to cover lots of range , use a heavier jigheads (such as. 1/6oz or 1/4oz) if it helps.

6. Standard cast, let it drop with a loosely tight line (so that you know when it hits the bottom), hard flick up once it hits the bottom, slowly reel line in sync with the speed of the drop so that you can maintain a loose tightness in the line without affecting the drop - again so that you can feel when it hits the bottom or gets hit. keep repeating till you retrieve all the way. As you can probably tell, keeping constant connection and feel with the jig head is important (but without impacting the way the jig head drops). This is a fairly reliable method - other variables may be to use two flicks instead of one. 

Hope that helps mate, I'm still yet to catch bream on sps, but can reliably catch flatties now. 

Very good advice anthman. Only thing I'd add would be to keep at it. Lots of fishos expect a result, especially when they read reports from others. S/P and lure fishing isn't easy...it often takes time to get results, but persistence pays off, usually.