smoke reduction

Tony_reve

First of all what Outboard are you running ??? Most outboards run an oil tank That self mixes the correct ratio & if your adding in extra oil to the fuel this will cause it to blow smoke , So unless the oil tank has been disconnected there is no need to be adding oil to the fuel .  And again need to know what outboard your running as some use a 50:1 mix .

Guest Guest123456789

How old is the fuel you're using? What octane rating? What sort of oil are you using? When was your last service? 

I used 25:1 while running the outboard in and as per owners manual switched to 50:1 after the last service. I did notice significantly less fumes and smoke after doing so.

27 minutes ago, flatheadluke said:

How old is the fuel you're using? What octane rating? What sort of oil are you using? When was your last service? 

I used 25:1 while running the outboard in and as per owners manual switched to 50:1 after the last service. I did notice significantly less fumes and smoke after doing so.

Agree with this.Your 25:1 mix is very oil rich usually recommended for running In procedures and will smoke considerably.Given that your outboard is a 90's model I think that occurred a little while ago now.Give the 50:1 mix a try using fresh fuel and oil as stated above.

My motor runs on a mix of 100:1 with very little smoke using Yamalube.

When I ran it in using 25:1 I could see 10ft behind me,50:1 a lot better and 100:1 hardly any smoke.

I don't run full throttle at 100:1 though and 99% of the time I'm at 75:1 for a good compromise.

If your not doing it already give the tank a good shake prior to any trip if your running a portable tank.

Good luck with it all.

I run my fuel tanks to empty every time I go out so he fuel is always brand new and I only put unlended 98 in it with the outboard oil from caltex in it. 

My last service was about 40 hours ago.

but next time I go out I will try a 50:1 ratio mix and see how I go.

thanks for the advice guys. 

See yous in the water 

Guest Guest123456789
7 hours ago, NaClH2OK9 said:

Mine used to smoke like a bugger on caltex oil.  I switched to the manufacturer recommended (expensive evinrude)  runs MUCH cleaner now.  

I can vouch for quicksilver oil. Big fishing and tackle stores stock it and it's a lot cheaper than the Suzuki brand outboard oil