Browns Mountain Sunday - My first blue eye on jig

Chaohuang

It was a good day to head out wide yesterday, tagged along with a friend and went straight to browns, still quite a few blue eye to be caught, with some gemmies,an alfonsino and a bass groper (not shown in pic) added to the mix. I jigged the whole day, caught three fish in total, nothing worth boasting about in size, but at least the blue eye is a first for me. As I am typing this out right now, my whole left arm feels quite sore...

PB190003.JPG

PB190004.JPG

785395531637724138.jpg

Edited by mshuangchao
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, blackfish angler said:

Hard work with out one of these Electric Fishing Reel .

maxresdefault.jpg

blue-eye-cod.jpg

Pretty sure he jigs with his rod and reel instead of using electrical reel

seen a post on another forum where he was jigging browns even tho the charter operator pleaded him not to

yet he still caught fish......

Haha, thanks for the reply guys, yeah I was all manual. The thing is, this jigging thing is addictive... and now my addiction has gone so far that I'd rather not catch fish than use bait. Not that I am saying there is anything wrong with using electric reels and real bait, I must admit it is much more efficient. But fooling these big fish with fake stuff and then pulling them up with your own hands just feels... special.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mshuangchao said:

Haha, thanks for the reply guys, yeah I was all manual. The thing is, this jigging thing is addictive... and now my addiction has gone so far that I'd rather not catch fish than use bait. Not that I am saying there is anything wrong with using electric reels and real bait, I must admit it is much more efficient. But fooling these big fish with fake stuff and then pulling them up with your own hands just feels... special.

Well done man love your work some top fish

14 hours ago, mshuangchao said:

Hard to argue with that, using electric reels seems more like going to the fish shop, wait too see some movement then press the catch button, whereas you are catching them unassisted. Well done. :-)

Thanks again for the replies guys, appreciate your support!

6 hours ago, Ravinggg said:

Wow you are dedicated. How long did it take for the jig to hit the bottom and to bring it back up with the fish on?

It takes around 5 mins to hit the bottom and probably double to get it back up.

Great result on the jig!

We went out Sunday and found it difficult to escape the gemfish, even moving to 6 different locations. Never found so many residents for this time of year. The only place we escaped them was on the northern side of the second rise catching the perch that always hang out up there and a troll for stripeys. that will be turned into droppers on the next trip. On the jigging side of things are all your lures lumo's for browns, as its pitch black down there or do you have another  method?

On 11/23/2016 at 8:08 AM, letsgocrabbing said:

Great result on the jig!

We went out Sunday and found it difficult to escape the gemfish, even moving to 6 different locations. Never found so many residents for this time of year. The only place we escaped them was on the northern side of the second rise catching the perch that always hang out up there and a troll for stripeys. that will be turned into droppers on the next trip. On the jigging side of things are all your lures lumo's for browns, as its pitch black down there or do you have another  method?

We got two gemmies as well. I use lumo squid skirts, but not for the jig.

• 1 year later...

Hi Chao

I am also thinking of getting gear to slow jig browns, wondering how heavy is the jig you used and what rod were you using?

Can you still use a slow pitch rod for eg Poseidon PSLJ at that depth or do you need to purchase a high pitch rod PHPJ?

Thanks

Edited by whiskey299

On 11/22/2016 at 10:24 PM, mshuangchao said:

Thanks again for the replies guys, appreciate your support!

It takes around 5 mins to hit the bottom and probably double to get it back up.

Not bad... I think many of us have fought fish for ten minutes in a lot less water!

Great effort