Rally weekend the upper Nambucca

dirvin21

Got an invite to camp on a mate's aunt's property to spectate the World Rally weekend, and as I am not a big racing fan the property also backs onto the North arm of the Nambucca River.

Once the cars started on Sat morning and the crowd was occupied, grabbed my gear and off to the river, the water looked incredible literally as clear as glass, the bass were everywhere but had a severe case of lock jaw and after numerous frustrating casts of follows it was time to switch tactics.

The catfish were thick, and so I decided to sight cast some vibes the trick being to land the vibe as close to the fish as possible without spooking it (not an easy feat) and then twitch it as the fish is facing towards it after some frustration and near misses finally had a willing taker, he went like a demon

P1020731.JPG

Some kids came down to play in their inflatable boat just as I hooked the fish and like any responsible adult I told them I had a bull shark on the line.

As the weather heated up (pushing 40) the river became popular for other Rally spectators to come and swim so I moved a little further upstream, the fish were very spooky but after a while managed to crack another cattie another solid specimen

P1020735.JPG

P1020736.JPG

Then it was time for a beer and a swim with the kids and wait for the arvo session

hit the water again late in the arvo again lots of activity with people swimming, found a few secluded pools and tried a popper and behold after lord knows how many follows a single bass not big but still satisfying

P1020739.JPG

With light fading and a spit roast lamb calling one last go at a cattie and managed one final fish a really striking golden coloured fish a very satisfying way to finish a tough but enjoyable days fishing

P1020740.JPG

for each fish caught I would have dropped 2 catfish are very difficult to set trebles in

all the catties were caught on a "Sebile flat shad" and the bass a "Sebile popper"

cheers for reading

Dave

17 hours ago, big Neil said:

. Any signs of Eastern Cod in there? Caught plenty in the Nymboida way back (longum time ago). Cheers, BN

no cod, they are only in the Clarence catchment apparently they are quite thick past Dorrigo way I will hopefully be heading up there in the next month to have a crack at some XOS bass and maybe a cod

The Eastern Cod are a protected species so don't get caught targeting them. XOS Bass on the other hand???? I've never caught Bass but from what I read they are great to target on spinnerbaits and plastics. Is that what you use? Cheers, BN

18 hours ago, big Neil said:

The Eastern Cod are a protected species so don't get caught targeting them. XOS Bass on the other hand???? I've never caught Bass but from what I read they are great to target on spinnerbaits and plastics. Is that what you use? Cheers, BN

mostly use diving hardbodies in the 40-60mm size range for bass (and most other fish) most of my local freshwater is fairly small and clear and I find hardbodies a bit more versatile, don't use a lot of plastics in either fresh or salt although I have nabbed some nice bass on 2.5" zerek live shrimps and I know plenty of guys who use nothing but and do well and as for spinnerbaits they are the bane of my existence I have seen many bass caught on them just not by me