Tips for installing Fish Finder/Transducer

TheFoosh

Hi,

About to install a new fish finder. Never done one myself before.

Any tips to make sure I get the best outcome? It's a small tinny so I know where I want the head unit to sit but I am worried about getting the transducer in the right spot.

Appreciate any help, or if someone would like to assist I am located in Baulkham Hills.

Regards

Nick

G'day Nick, if you search Google that should give you an idea of the rough place to install it. 

The basic idea is to have it not too close to the motor, and away from any messy wash from anything under the hull. 

But my main bit of advice would be to install either an adjustable mount (if available for your tranny) or before mounting the tranny, in the rough area pre install a wide mounting plate first to screw the tranny to on the hull. That way if you find the first position is not working then you can reposition it on the plate without making more holes in the transom. 

What sort of transducer do you have and I'll try find a diagram. 

Jamie

Hi Mate, take a photo of the back RHS of your boat and we can give you an idea. Like someone above said. Investing in an adjustable bracket will save you a lot of heartache if you need to move it up or down.

Bracket like this one http://www.bcf.com.au/Product/Transducer-Bracket-Flat-Alloy-Small/115524 cheap as.

The transducer will likely look something like this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/301326437772?lpid=107&chn=ps

Here is a video of one installed with commentary , different brand same principle.

4 hours ago, mob0103 said:

That's the info I would use. 

Nick, I had a quick look at the link you put up, is that where you purchased it from becacause I can't see any reference to a ducer being included ? 

Im guessing you will end up with something like a generic HSTWBL style ducer, then the instructions above from mob0103 would be a good start. 

Ok - from another post i am guessing you have a small tinnie?- dont try and bolt directly to the hull, best option is to get a small bracket welded to the back of boat- ill take a pic of my set up and then screw to that-no holes in the hull. Second best option is to Sikaflex a lump of timber to the back of the hull and then screw the trannie to that. 

I Sikaflexed and bolted 4x 35mm 316 marine grade stainless steel screws with nylon lock nuts through a 20mm thick polyethelene chopping board.

Once you put the board on, you can then screw the 20mm screws through the bracket to hold it to the board but make sure you use some sikaflex on the screws so that they hold the bracket nice and firm. 

This is what I did with the advice of some Raiders on this site.....

Transom finished 1.jpg

Transom finished 2.jpg

Edited by Sigma

Guest Guest123456789

It's an easy job, I installed a lowrance elite 7ti transducer to my tinny. Bolted it straight to the hull  with sikaflex and stainless washers on one side. Never had any issues the manual is straight forward. Here is a pic if it helps.

IMG_0793.JPG

1 hour ago, TheFoosh said:

Thanks for all the help guys. Got mine installed easily with the adjustable transducer mount and some s/s nuts/bolts and sikaflex.

Transducer install doesn't look pretty but it works fine! 

20161126_000530824_iOS.jpg

20161125_081707748_iOS.jpg

What's the go with the sikaflex all over the bung hole?Previous weld repair by the looks of it inside the transom.

What about the sika all over the wall?Leftovers?Just kidding.

If you have leaking bungs a quick way out is drill the old rivets out and sikaflex or install O rings either side and re-rivet using stainless rivets.

Good on you for having a crack.

Fabian.

On 24 November 2016 at 3:11 PM, Sigma said:

I Sikaflexed and bolted 4x 35mm 316 marine grade stainless steel screws with nylon lock nuts through a 20mm thick polyethelene chopping board.

Once you put the board on, you can then screw the 20mm screws through the bracket to hold it to the board but make sure you use some sikaflex on the screws so that they hold the bracket nice and firm. 

This is what I did with the advice of some Raiders on this site.....

Transom finished 1.jpg

Transom finished 2.jpg

Neat install mate.

I only just bought it a month or so ago so will definitely get around to fixing the bungs. They work for now which is what matters most to me lol.

Not sure about the weld? They all looked like original manufacturers welds to me. If you can point it out I'll take another look and post some close up pics.

6 minutes ago, TheFoosh said:

I only just bought it a month or so ago so will definitely get around to fixing the bungs. They work for now which is what matters most to me lol.

Not sure about the weld? They all looked like original manufacturers welds to me. If you can point it out I'll take another look and post some close up pics.

That just to the left of the port side bung inside the transom(Round patch).Looks like weld to me but it's not clear on my phone.That boat hasn't had issues with electrolysis has it as far as you know?

6 hours ago, TheFoosh said:

I checked out that spot closer. Its just a glob of old silicone. There is no corresponding hole on the outside so it must have just landed there and never been cleaned up.

20161128_190601861_iOS.jpg

That's great!It looked like a weld patch to me in the other photo.