Advice needed

smc2010

Hi my fellow fisher's, I'm looking to buy a kayak and do a bit of fishing in it. I'm based in Sydney. I'm wondering if anyone had any advice on what sort of kayak to buy and if the fishing in Sydney area is good from kayak. I intend on using it around the bays, ports, harbour's etc... is it a good idea? All info/advice is welcome. 

Mate, best thing you could do is buy a Yak. As for which.....Hobie, but I am biased ?

You can fish from any Yak, I used to borrow a mates paddle powered to go fish from....think is was an elcheapo from BLAH BLAH BLAH. Then I got a Hobie for my 40th and fell ?. Saving arm stamina to fight the fish is way better than using it to get to your fishing spot.

I reckon Mother Nature design Sydney Harbour with kayakers in mind ?

I used to launch at Rhodes to fish for Jews. 

But you can launch anywhere you fancy, any boat ramp, any sandy/rocky/grassy bay/beach so long as you can drag your Yak from where you park. I recommend getting a kayak trolley with fat beach wheels so you can drag your Yak over any surface.

Thank you any recommendations on a good stable yak with decent storage. I'm considering a two man one as I always have mates wanting to tag along. Second hand is what I'm thinking, around the $1000 mark as I'm Irish on a work visa, and cash is scarce for the next while paying for more visas etc... 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Jackson "Big Tuna" with a 50lb Minn Kota on the back, and absolutely love it. Picked it up on eBay, fully loaded with oar, rudder kit, 2 seats, motor and battery for $1600. The same set-up with Hobie, would probably set you back well over $2k 2nd hand. I think Jackson gets over-looked a lot because for a little more you can get a Hoblie, but the thing with the jackson is that they are just as stable, around the same weight and turn on a dime. Loads of storage, I can fit the girlfriend, dog, all my gear and still fish comfortably.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the Hobie kayaks, and if I saw one at the right price, I would find it hard to pass it up!

I suppose i got a boat too but I have a little Malibu Mini X which is great in the bays and up the river its smaller but i wouldn't take on ferry traffic no matter how big my yak was.

Rozelle bay, lane cove river, iron cove are all lower traffic areas that i use else i take the boat .

Hey Mate i bought my Hobie PA14 Last year and i cant be happier with it there fast and easy to use there is very little need to pimp it most people have there preference on the hobie or the native crafts these 2 brands are by far the market leaders best bet is to keep an eye out for the try before you buy days i know penrith Bass Angler do it also there is another place in north sydney i think do it . 

personally i found the pa14 had more room and was more stable and @ 120kg im no light weight and i find it very easy to stand in and cast till my hearts content 

good luck with your choice and remember to post picks and brag about your new yak in the forums

• 1 month later...

Hi there fellow fishers. I am long time land based fisher decided to get a cheap paddle 3.6m kayak and pimped up the kayak its good enough to fish in but found be unstable on rough conditions so i research alot on you tube and decided on a new Hobie PA 14 mirage drive 180. Its awesome . My advice on any boat or kayak always upgrade to couple of level up.

Second hand is a great option in my case i had to get the new 2017 model with reverse  peddling option fishing is so much easier.

Price is an over kill on Hobies but there are one of the best kayak fishing kayaks.

20161212_013327.jpg

Edited by podtrailler