PVC adjustable berley buckey

Fab1

Hi Guys my previous berley dispenser got eaten by the prop because some tired imbecile took of without it so I decided to make one out of PVC that I could lower on the anchor rode if I want or float it out the back of the boat that I could close off in between fishing spots to save berley and mess.

It's just a 100mm length of PVC with a cap on one end and a screw lid on the other with holes drilled around it.

Then I made a slotted sleeve and cut a slot in the outside pipe to take an eye bolt that serves two purposes.

It works as a handle to slide across to open and close the holes and an attachment for the Carabina to use on the anchor rode.

Here's the dispenser and my frozen burley slugs that I just uncap,slide out then I remove the freezer bag and put in the dispenser.

The berley slugs are slotted for easy removal too and all is reusable.image.jpg

A image.jpgslug is loaded. 

On the anchor rode.image.jpg

In the closed position.image.jpg

Just an idea and works great to keep the mess contained.

Fabian.

You remind me of my neighbour Fabian. He's a diesel mechanic, all round inventor, outside the box thinker, jack of all trades and master of each. If there's a problem to be solved where a single solution may appear unlikely, he will come up with a list of possible solutions that few others would even imagine. He's adventurous, an adrenaline junkie, workaholic and I often think he's closely related to Evil Knievel. On the upside (LOL) we enjoy having a few cold ones while he bounces his ideas off me...at the end of a long day wrestling with giant mechanical plant and equipment. He's a genius with a bottle! Cheers, BN

4 hours ago, big Neil said:

You remind me of my neighbour Fabian. He's a diesel mechanic, all round inventor, outside the box thinker, jack of all trades and master of each. If there's a problem to be solved where a single solution may appear unlikely, he will come up with a list of possible solutions that few others would even imagine. He's adventurous, an adrenaline junkie, workaholic and I often think he's closely related to Evil Knievel. On the upside (LOL) we enjoy having a few cold ones while he bounces his ideas off me...at the end of a long day wrestling with giant mechanical plant and equipment. He's a genius with a bottle! Cheers, BN

There's always more than one way to skin a cat.Maybe I should of come up with Facebook or Youtube?That would of been nice.

I would get on real well with your neighbour mate as I use to have a neighbour like that.My mrs nicknamed me hose reel then because I was permenently stuck to the fence yarning with this bloke.lol.

Cheers.

That looks like a well planned and engineered bit of kit.

My concern having it on the anchor line is the burley would be to far from where I'm fishing. When anchored in 60-80m of water I often have all my 250m of rope out, this would put me a long way from the burley pot.

I drop mine down on my canon downrigger right where my baits go. When I dive and take burley I find the fish we feed don't actually move far.

Jon

54 minutes ago, JonD said:

That looks like a well planned and engineered bit of kit.

My concern having it on the anchor line is the burley would be to far from where I'm fishing. When anchored in 60-80m of water I often have all my 250m of rope out, this would put me a long way from the burley pot.

I drop mine down on my canon downrigger right where my baits go. When I dive and take burley I find the fish we feed don't actually move far.

Jon

Using the anchor line is an option only as some times the line for the berley pot gets in the way in a small boat like mine with a few rods out when landing a fish.(I use the anchor line in less than 20m of water).

For the depths your fishing I'd use your method or lower it down by hand or use half an old rod and reel.(I use brickies line as it's thin and strong).

You can clip it on your downrigger like you do which is great or lower it out the back by hand or take the lead out and float it.

The main thing I like is you can close it off in between spots,It's easy to load with a frozen slug without the mess and stores loaded for next time in the freezer and in the boats esky nicely and get 1hr to 1.5hrs from a slug depending on water temperature.

cheers.

Guest Guest123456789

Fantastic design and build quality there Fab thanks for sharing.

The frozen burley 'slugs' in particular I'm interested in. Do you have a photo of the mould? What ingredients do you use? 

For deep water burleying, have you tried just throwing the slug out the back of the stern? I see that approach being advantageous in that you don't have the pvc container to worry about storing or retrieving. The potential problems are it breaks up too quickly or a larger predator could eat the whole thing. Also, a strong current could drift the slug out of your fishing zone. If you had scuba gear you could throw it out and observe how long each slug burleys the zone as well as how much it drifts. Another possible option is a cheap, disposable, biodegradable, easy to manufacture casing for the slug that stops a large predator from eating the whole thing and prevents drift. Maybe just a metal coat hanger simply wrapped around the slug.

5 hours ago, Ojay Samson said:

Thats awesome Fab, might try replicating this in the future, good work!

Go for it.

5 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Fantastic design and build quality there Fab thanks for sharing.

The frozen burley 'slugs' in particular I'm interested in. Do you have a photo of the mould? What ingredients do you use? 

For deep water burleying, have you tried just throwing the slug out the back of the stern? I see that approach being advantageous in that you don't have the pvc container to worry about storing or retrieving. The potential problems are it breaks up too quickly or a larger predator could eat the whole thing. Also, a strong current could drift the slug out of your fishing zone. If you had scuba gear you could throw it out and observe how long each slug burleys the zone as well as how much it drifts. Another possible option is a cheap, disposable, biodegradable, easy to manufacture casing for the slug that stops a large predator from eating the whole thing and prevents drift. Maybe just a metal coat hanger simply wrapped around the slug.

Here's a photoimage.jpg and as for ingredients I use chook pellets,pillys,prawns:7:),whitebait,tailor,yellowtail,mullet,aniseed oil,Molasses,garlick powder and the list goes on and on depending what I have available at the time in various mixes.

Just use a bit of chook pellets,pillys and a splash of tuna oil or aniseed oil and experiment from there.

You can just throw the canister loaded with a slug unweighted out the back and it will float for what your asking for a surface berley.If you just throw a slug out on its own it will still float and go with the current miles away while breaking up taking the fish with it and you can't retrieve it and move spots like you can with the slug in the canister.

Besides for deep water you want your berley to get down and disperse deep in the water where you have your baits,not on the surface.I'm anal about things and have my Pots line marked every meter which gives me the right depth to lower it.I look at the sounder and if I'm in 20m I lower it 16-18m off the bottom as you want it raised of the bottom a few metres where the current is.

I've made 4l ice cream container slugs using rope and fencing wire and it's the same result as just chucking a slug in the water,they float and surface berley while breaking up.

Guest Guest123456789

Thanks for sharing Fab. I was googling and thought about frozen burley in a 2 litre ice cream tub but you're saying this frozen block of burley would float? If so, buggar! I thought I had a good idea.

1 hour ago, flatheadluke said:

Thanks for sharing Fab. I was googling and thought about frozen burley in a 2 litre ice cream tub but you're saying this frozen block of burley would float? If so, buggar! I thought I had a good idea.

Yes it will float,that's why you need to weigh it down with a chunk of lead.

Guest Guest123456789

Ok thanks Fab that saves me one failed attempt.

What about lashing it to a brick with some twine? That should work and not harm the environment.

Edited by Guest123456789

1 hour ago, flatheadluke said:

Ok thanks Fab that saves me one failed attempt.

What about lashing it to a brick with some twine? That should work and not harm the environment.

You could do that if you want but personally I think there's better options.

What exactly are you trying to achieve?If you want to float berley,send it down to the seabed,suspend it at any depth,adjust the berley flow or use it at the front,sides,rear of the boat that canister I'm showing you will do it all.

Floating a open berley slug you have no control over where it goes,how much disperses,and will be taken away for miles in a mild to strong current.

Guest Guest123456789

Thanks Fab.

There are some shallow inshore reefs around the 30 metre mark I fish from the bottom. To date my burley efforts have not worked. I bought one of those burley pots from the tackle store. Tried attaching it to rope and also a large rod with heavy line. It was annoying retrieving the damn thing all the time, not to mention messy and also when I got connected to a fish I would invariably get wrapped around the burley line. Also I wasn't happy with the rate the burley would release (sometimes too fast or too slow) and it's annoying having to jiggle to pot around periodically. Also my little boat doesn't have much spare space.

i don't want to use an anchor as at the moment I use a minn Kota to hold position and also I've been told sharks can bite you off meaning a whole new anchor!

ill give the brick, twine and frozen burley slug a go and let you know how it works out.

BTW shallow water burley I have finally mastered! Ground up bread crumbs, aniseed pellets, tuna oil and water. I use an old soup ladle. Brings the fish in from miles and doesn't really feed them much too. Here's a pic, the burley bucket fits nicely into my live bait tank.

IMG_0802.JPG

Guest Guest123456789

What about this Fab? A burley pot straight  to the d shackle where the anchor normally goes? I have about 2 metres of chain so the shark can't bite through that and the weight of the chain should hold the pot in the zone. I could wait until the chain hits the bottom then just wind it up a couple of metres. Hopefully the chain won't crush the pot but I think the chain would sink faster anyway and hit the sea floor first. Just need to make sure the burley line won't get caught in the prop of the electric.

2 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

IMG_0803.JPG

As you found out the store bought berley dispensers have their flaws.

You can stuff around taping some of the holes to slow down the rate of dispersion in higher currents but they are messy and need to be stored in a bucket when moving about.

Don't use rope as the line will be effected by water drag too much but  use the thinnest line possible.Hence why I use brickies line as it's both thin and strong.

I've lowered and raised my berley by hand in 40m no worries in less than a minute easy.

The bigger the berley the more it will weigh obviously,the more lead you'll need to get it down,the more it will be affected by currents and be more of a chore to raise when the time comes.

like I said my slugs are roughly a kilo a piece and last 1 to 1.5 hrs depending on water temp,currents etc.There's a lot of variables playing a part.

All berley methods will work to some degree and none that I know are 100% shark proof when attaching them to an achor line.

Either the shark will rip the pot of the anchor line(If you've had the foresight to attach with a weaker line),Bite through the line and lose the lot including anchor (if directly attached),or take you for a ride without using any fuel whatsoever if it's tangled in the line.

Try different methods and see what you prefer as everyone has their own ideas and methods they like.

I happen to like this as I've tried them all for the type of fishing I do.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...

I have a the same burley pot as Fab, without the inner piece.

my tips:

dont fill the container full of chook pellet mix as it swells when wet and you don't get much spread as it compacts.

i have a couple of steel barrels in the bottom to weight it down.

every now and then I give the line a sharp pull and I can see the burley spread.

it can be messy if you don't put it in a bucket, when moving.

My mix is chook pellets, white bread, tuna oil, old pilchards mashed up.

i have thought of tying a 20lb line and baited hook to it just to see.

Edited by jeffb5.8

• 2 months later...
Guest Guest123456789

Hi @Fab1

what you've been saying about frozen burley has finally sunken in. Your system is the way to go!!

here are my half litre frozen burley logs. The container is a $3 microwave soup mug from Kmart with holes added to the lid. To stop leaks in freezer i clamped some plastic cling wrap. 

My testing shows I'll get 30 mins at least each log. It's just aniseed burley pellets broken up using boiling water, then some fish oil and water added. My shallow burley is just a burley bag attached to a short rope to a side rail and my deep burley is a $5 Kmart hand reel with 100 metres of 15kg mono to a burley bag and a 24oz sinker in the bag.

thanks for your help mate this will help no end bring the fish in I think!

IMG_1679.JPG

1. we have been using frozen blocks for years for sharking..just put blocks in fish keeper bag an hang off back of boat.give a shake now and then..if you want burley to sink more use bigger chunks in block and use snapper size net to let chunks fall out..rick