Every angler should read this

big Neil

Here's a link to a series of 4 short videos by Dr Greg Vinall. He explains how colour is impacted in different water depths, wave conditions and discolouration levels. I found it interesting, what do you think? BN                        www.makewoodenlures.com                           www.makewoodenlures.com/color.html                    

IMG_6142resize.jpg

7 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Thanks for sharing Neil.

what about white is that visible in deep water or also grey?

G'day Luke, All the colours in the spectrum, put together form "white light". So they all go grey in deep water...BN

Guest Guest123456789

Thanks BN.

Does white go grey before or after blue? And Im confused about the colour changing vs visibility. Is a blue a less intense grey than say yellow in deep water?

G'day Luke. White is what we see when we receive all 7 colours  at the same time. (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet). Because white contains all 7 colours it will go grey earlier than blue (on it's own). That's also the order that they become grey when submerged into the depths. I e...red appears grey long before blue or indigo or violet. The different colours appear grey earlier (shallower) in freshwater than in saltwater. It's all about the amount of available light at different depths.

The intensity of the grey would only be marginally different for any of the colours because of the wave length of each colour.

What I got from the article was what I believe to be the case...colour of lures is only relevant /effective at the appropriate depth and conditions for that colour to appear as that particular colour. In other words a red lure is ok in say 5 m of water whereas if you were using it at 25m, it would only appear grey (and not red) anyway.

Much more important than colour is how the lure is presented in front of a hungry fish. Hope that helps. BN

On 12/1/2016 at 8:57 PM, savit said:

I actually read that most of the fish see the things like dogs i.e. black&white - therefore most of the coloured lures are made to catch fisho's wallet rather than a fish.

I think you're right too Savit. Colour has little effect in deep water, but probably has limited effect in shallower waters. BN

• 2 months later...

l think you guys are bang on. Colours mainly catch fishermen

On Sunday, December 04, 2016 at 7:28 PM, big Neil said:

I think you're right too Savit. Colour has little effect in deep water, but probably has limited effect in shallower waters. BN

. But i think contrasts catch fish. Stripes, spots,bleeding gills and contrasting tails. Flouro seems to make a difference in dirty water but as for pink or yellow flouro I'm not sure.  Gold and silver are an exception as thats flash not colour. Any thoughts or am i way off?

Matt

2 hours ago, Mr Mullit said:

. But i think contrasts catch fish. Stripes, spots,bleeding gills and contrasting tails. Flouro seems to make a difference in dirty water but as for pink or yellow flouro I'm not sure.  Gold and silver are an exception as thats flash not colour. Any thoughts or am i way off?

Matt

Hi Matt. I don't think there's a single answer to the question "does colour impact on fish taking or leaving a lure?"

For instance squid have big eyes and amazing vision. They can even change colour themselves. So (most likely colour plays a big part in catching them). 

Where I fish in freshwater there's always some level of murkiness in the water. Fish are very efficient at picking up movement and vibration via their lateral line. In this case I don't think that colour makes as much difference as movement and vibration.

Don't forget that you don't have to go very deep in water to be in total darkness. True, fish that live in these environments can see much better than we can, at that depth...but I still think that in many cases fish respond instinctively. If they don't attack it another one may.

You're right about colours catching fishermen LOL. Myself included. Cheers, Neil

On Sunday, December 04, 2016 at 7:28 PM, big Neil said:

Matt

• 5 months later...
On 2/24/2017 at 6:00 PM, Mr Mullit said:

Matt

I work on the principle that if it is working, keep using it...if not, change it and try something else. Too many variables and none of us can think like a fish, eh? BN

5 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

I fished for cod two weeks ago.slightly dirty water overcast day.every expert says dark lures for these conditions but we could only get fish on bright lures  go figure..rick

G'day Rick. The only experts on whether a fish will take a particular lure or not, at any given time, IS A FISH. You and I know that we can use some theory as a starting point, but sticking to it when it's not working, is a dumb option. If fishing was as simple as some "experts" make out, we'd soon get bored by it. Cheers, BN

• 6 months later...

hey turtletown  of the thousands of salt/freshwater/marlin/tuna lures hanging on shop walls the majority of colours are designed to catch fisherman   not fish....classic example; marlin lure ice cream yumyum colour..there is nothing in the ocean that looks like this but it catches fish because people put it in front of hungry fish..when contemplating lure purchases  look at lures favoured and used by others for your target species;ie;look at fotos of captures and read what fishos recommend..hope this helps..rick

48 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

hey turtletown  of the thousands of salt/freshwater/marlin/tuna lures hanging on shop walls the majority of colours are designed to catch fisherman   not fish....classic example; marlin lure ice cream yumyum colour..there is nothing in the ocean that looks like this but it catches fish because people put it in front of hungry fish..when contemplating lure purchases  look at lures favoured and used by others for your target species;ie;look at fotos of captures and read what fishos recommend..hope this helps..rick

Yep I can second that I'm definitely keener on my lures than the bloody cod that's for sure... I'm hoping my infatuation rubs off onto them and they start taking notice Bahaha 

1 minute ago, rickmarlin62 said:

twenty years ago I used to make poppers/stickbaits out of broomstick...drilled holes thru them  twisted up s/steel wire right thru and tied in a swivel an a hook..didn't even paint them..kings and tailor loved em...hmm might go make some on the weekend...rick

I found one of mine today, too. Gave it a swim in the pool. Doesn’t swim too bad... occasionally flipped on its back... might need to tweak it. I made it when I was a teenager out of a broomstick. My poor Nan thought she was getting taller... it was a long time before she realised I was trimming a few inches off the bottom of her broomsticks! ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Very true, to be honest hadn't thought of looking at other peoples photo's for lure selection purposes, a good idea that !