Shimano TDL15

Snapper81

Hi fishos,

as always I need your opinion and why not your help too.

Recently I bought a Backbone elite 6/10kg 213cm and a Shimano TDL15.

I would like to start to catch kings and so on....

My question is: 

Can I use this rod and reel for casting on the beach too? 

Thank you 

Andrea

Edited by Snapper81

I have a TLD 15 that i have had for over 20 years and i love it. But i only use it in the boat. You could technically use that outfit to cast on the beach but it would be not be very well suited.

Firstly - If you are not fluent in casting overhead reels then the TLD 15 will probably be difficult for you to cast and you will have many overruns and limited casting distance for quite a while as you learn to cast it.

Secondly - if you are fluent in casting the overhead then the reel would be ok but you would probably want to consider a rod at least 10 feet long. Possibly up to 13 feet. The longer rod will give you better casting distance and help keep the line clear of the shore break so your bait sits happier in the surf and you can feel bites easier.

Sound I can't used it ......

I was asking but fortunately I bought both for rock fishing with ballon and live bait.

i was wondering if I could use it for beach too, but at this point I'm going to buy a spinning reeel.

What about if I buy a spinning reel 8000/10000 and put on this rod? Should it work?

Ok thanks 

It is not always as simple as using an overhead rod with a spin reel and vice versa due to the "back bone" of the rod. When you bend a rod blank it will naturally "roll" to a certain orientation (it will naturally have a top side and bottom side when it is bent) you will feel it try to twist in your hands if it is not orientated this way. This is how they figure out which side of the blank the guides go on depending if it is going to be a spin rod or overhead rod. The spacing and size of the guides will also be designed based on whether it is for an overhead or spin reel. This doesn't mean you cant use it for both applications it just means that it isn't designed to be universal and will be better (stronger, better action and more comfortable) being used for its correct intention. I have swapped them around before and they do obviously work you just need to be aware, especially if you intend on maxing out the load on it.

The rod is way too short for beach fishing in any case. The reel is not a casting reel either. Aside from being a bit on the big side it is a lever drag with all of the drag washers attached to the spool. This makes the spool heavy and hard to control when casting (high inertia and flywheel effect once it starts spinning).

So for beach fishing I suggest starting from scratch and getting a new rod and reel. 

Hi guys,

sorry if I replying only now but I have been in holiday.

Anyway, the rod and the reel I found out are good for rock fishing specially using live bait, which was my mission ahahah.

I was curious to know if I can use both on the beach but definitely I can't and I believe you all of you experience fishers. 

So thanks for your help as always.....you are the best guys

I will buy a rod and reel for beach fishing.

Ciaoooo