Electric Trolling Motors

eli

Hi Guys,

I'm looking into getting an electric trolling motor for the rig coming into summer, would love to hear your thoughts and experiences.

I've got a Stessco catcher sfx 450, with 40 Suzuki 2 stroke, I do a fair bit of live baiting and throwing stick baits / poppers around headlands and offshore reefs + prospecting reef with soft plastics for snapper too - the trouble is first of all with a tiller steer it makes it hard to fish solo as I'm having to largely do drifts then keep repositioning if I'm throwing lures; otherwise I'm just hugging the smelly loud engine dragging a live bait around for hours which isn't loads of fun.

As I won't be affording a new rig or 4 stroke engine anytime soon, I'm thinking a solid electric trolling engine might make things more efficient, plus I throw lures around the estuary a bit too so that part is a no brainer.

I'm looking at a 55lb Watersnake (with foot pedal and remote), as I'm looking to use it offshore a fair bit would love to hear from anyone that uses theirs offshore like this?

• Do they hold up offshore against the current, would it be suitable for my use? 
  • Is 55lb thrust going to cut it?
  • Are the GPS versions worth it? I can see how useful spot lock could be, but there's big price difference.
  • Recommendations for battery setups for this type of use? How long should I expect to get out of it?

Thanks Raiders, really appreciate your help!

G'day eli. I'm a little unsure of how to answer your questions. I have that particular brand and model (without spot lock) on the bow of my tinnie and it works well in rivers and estuaries PROVIDING the current isn't TOO STRONG. I certainly wouldn't be relying on any electric for hugging in the wash around headlands or such areas. They are very responsive and allow for great manoeverability in calm conditions but I've never used mine in swell or decent wave conditions...so can't comment there.

Regarding how long the battery lasts is an unknown variable. Mine lasts for days of intermittent use, when I'm lure fishing for Cod. Usually the current isn't strong at that time of year though.

I have seen suggestions on this forum that people rig their petrol motor to steer straight whilst idling and that may be an option for you to look at. I used to do it in the estuaries with my 15 HP Yamaha which had a locking capability to set the motor in a particular line. Some people have used "hockey straps" to secure the position of the motor as it idles along. Hope there's something of use in this post. Good luck, BN

Hi Eli,

I agree with Neil, if you are fishing a headland wash that is powerful, an electric may not be your best bet. However, fishing offshore and inshore reefs and using it to position the boat should be fine.

I just installed a Watersnake Shadow MkII 65lb/54 inch shaft on my 3.7m tinny and it flies. I only need to run it on low speed (speed setting of 2 or 2.5 from a possible top speed of 7) to easily manouvre the boat around. Was easy to install and easy to use. I decided not to get a GPS one as I didn't see the need for it for what I was doing. Also didn't get a remote control one as the foot pedal was plenty for what I needed. Got it from BCF (member discount) for $699.00.

Good luck with your search, it can be difficult making a decision!

Guest Guest123456789

Hi Eli,

What sort of oil to fuel ratio are you using on your outboard? Do you wear ear muffs?

i have a 30hp 2 stroke tiller steer and I used a 50:1 mix. I bought some safety ear muffs from Bunnings and also changed the ratio to 75:1. Made a huge difference - much more enjoyable and I don't get the headaches/ringing ears after a day on the water. The ear muffs have the added benefit of holding your hat on your head too. You can still hear it just limits noise to 25 decibels which is well below the 80 decibels that permanently damages your hearing.

That said an electric motor is handy for trolling, I've not downrigged for kings yet but have trolled for tailor along barrenjoey headland and pearl beach and it works a treat. While trolling I would sit up the bow and cast a lure also. The minn kota I use has spot lock but more importantly for you it has bearing lock, which means it holds your heading so you don't accidentally run into the cliffs! There is a feature where you can record your trail and then press a button and the motor will take you straight back over that trail. I haven't used it yet but might be handy for you.

the battery in use is a lead acid deep cycle battery, the century n70t. Costs about $250 and I could literally run the electric full speed for 12 hours before running out of charge. Lead acids are annoying in that you have to top it up once a month with demineralised water but it doesn't bother me much. The charger I use is a 5 amp ctek which cost $130 and a good 7 stage charger like this is a must. Most Raiders probably run AGM batteries and 10amp chargers so probably a good idea to look at those also, though they do cost more.

ive never used the water snake with a foot pedal but frankly I would hate to give up spot lock and a Bluetooth remote they're sooo awesome and make boating much more enjoyable. But not cheap either unfortunately so I know where you're coming from. 

My boat is a 430 stacer rampage - the 55lbs thrust is fine, but it may be underpowered for your larger boat.

Good luck with it - hope the his helps. Cheers,

Luke.

Hi eli,

I have a 54/54 Watersnake on the front of my 4.9m Bayliner Element (fibreglass).  I only use it for inside the Harbour so I can't comment about offshore use (although I am contemplating trying it offshore very soon).  I’ve had the unit for about 5 years and this is the third boat I have used it on.

In answer to your questions:

1.  Yes, but within reason.  What bothers me more is the unit popping out of the water with each swell.  Mine will pop out when going over a ferry wake.  Gets annoying real quick and probably isn’t too good for the unit being under load, no-load, load, no-load continually.  Glad I didn’t go with the 48” shaft as it would be out all the time!

2.  Maybe – I think my boat size is at the upper limit of what this unit can do.  Works fine but I need to use full power if trying to travel any distance into the wind (I just tell myself that slow = stealth).  I think offshore may be demanding on 55lb particularly if the current and wind are both against you.

3.  In my experience trying to manage the foot control, while looking at the GPS/sounder and keep your balance (and maybe put in a cast) in a bit of a swell is like trying to dance after WAY too many drinks.  For chasing bream on the flats or moving around a bridge or wharf the foot control is perfect.  Once you add boat wakes, a bit of a breeze and trying to sit right on top of a GPS mark I find I’m concentrating on too much other stuff and no longer fishing.  ie, it’s great for moving/prospecting but hard work sitting in one spot.

4.  I have a 120 AH deep cycle and it lasts all day running all my accessories (sounder, stereo, watersnake, lights etc).  Recently I have hooked the accessories battery up to a VSR to charge it when the engine is running.  Main reason was to have a backup in case something went wrong with the start battery.

Don’t get me wrong, the 54/54 has been faithful for quite a few years and having it on makes a massive improvement to how I fish.  But, if I found myself in the position of having to buy another unit now I would go for the GPS so I could concentrate more on fishing.  I would also be looking at the length of the shaft and maybe going up to 60” for my boat.

I hope my random thoughts help you out a bit. 

With any luck I’ll be taking the Watersnake offshore later this week so can report back on how she goes.  David

4 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Hi Eli,

What sort of oil to fuel ratio are you using on your outboard? Do you wear ear muffs?

i have a 30hp 2 stroke tiller steer and I used a 50:1 mix. I bought some safety ear muffs from Bunnings and also changed the ratio to 75:1. Made a huge difference - much more enjoyable and I don't get the headaches/ringing ears after a day on the water. The ear muffs have the added benefit of holding your hat on your head too. You can still hear it just limits noise to 25 decibels which is well below the 80 decibels that permanently damages your hearing.

That said an electric motor is handy for trolling, I've not downrigged for kings yet but have trolled for tailor along barrenjoey headland and pearl beach and it works a treat. While trolling I would sit up the bow and cast a lure also. The minn kota I use has spot lock but more importantly for you it has bearing lock, which means it holds your heading so you don't accidentally run into the cliffs! There is a feature where you can record your trail and then press a button and the motor will take you straight back over that trail. I haven't used it yet but might be handy for you.

the battery in use is a lead acid deep cycle battery, the century n70t. Costs about $250 and I could literally run the electric full speed for 12 hours before running out of charge. Lead acids are annoying in that you have to top it up once a month with demineralised water but it doesn't bother me much. The charger I use is a 5 amp ctek which cost $130 and a good 7 stage charger like this is a must. Most Raiders probably run AGM batteries and 10amp chargers so probably a good idea to look at those also, though they do cost more.

ive never used the water snake with a foot pedal but frankly I would hate to give up spot lock and a Bluetooth remote they're sooo awesome and make boating much more enjoyable. But not cheap either unfortunately so I know where you're coming from. 

My boat is a 430 stacer rampage - the 55lbs thrust is fine, but it may be underpowered for your larger boat.

Good luck with it - hope the his helps. Cheers,

Luke.

Hi Luke,

Yeah I've taken the mix to 75:1, haven't worn ear muffs yet but could be an idea haha, especially stick baiting in the wash, next step I'll have to find some smaller ones to put on the spooky shallow water snapper, and estuary Jew too.

Mate that's exactly what I'm thinking re the track recording, that would be a game changer if I had enough power behind it. Unfortunately for the wallet, I think I'm looking at he 80lb Minn Kota i-Pilot.

Thanks so much, this is extremely helpful.

10 hours ago, big Neil said:

G'day eli. I'm a little unsure of how to answer your questions. I have that particular brand and model (without spot lock) on the bow of my tinnie and it works well in rivers and estuaries PROVIDING the current isn't TOO STRONG. I certainly wouldn't be relying on any electric for hugging in the wash around headlands or such areas. They are very responsive and allow for great manoeverability in calm conditions but I've never used mine in swell or decent wave conditions...so can't comment there.

Regarding how long the battery lasts is an unknown variable. Mine lasts for days of intermittent use, when I'm lure fishing for Cod. Usually the current isn't strong at that time of year though.

I have seen suggestions on this forum that people rig their petrol motor to steer straight whilst idling and that may be an option for you to look at. I used to do it in the estuaries with my 15 HP Yamaha which had a locking capability to set the motor in a particular line. Some people have used "hockey straps" to secure the position of the motor as it idles along. Hope there's something of use in this post. Good luck, BN

Hi Neil,
Okay great thanks for your input, sounds like I need up my power a little to the 80lb just in case, as I'm pretty keen to turn off the noisy 2 stroke, no matter what you've always got to be ready to jump on the throttle and move around that kind of headland country, so definitely won't be relying on the electric too that point, and I generally only head out in good conditions being in a small boat.

5 hours ago, TheFoosh said:

Hi Eli,

I agree with Neil, if you are fishing a headland wash that is powerful, an electric may not be your best bet. However, fishing offshore and inshore reefs and using it to position the boat should be fine.

I just installed a Watersnake Shadow MkII 65lb/54 inch shaft on my 3.7m tinny and it flies. I only need to run it on low speed (speed setting of 2 or 2.5 from a possible top speed of 7) to easily manouvre the boat around. Was easy to install and easy to use. I decided not to get a GPS one as I didn't see the need for it for what I was doing. Also didn't get a remote control one as the foot pedal was plenty for what I needed. Got it from BCF (member discount) for $699.00.

Good luck with your search, it can be difficult making a decision!

Hi @TheFoosh,
Yeah I guess it's just a matter of being aware of the conditions on the day, and being aware of your distance from the rocks. Some days I'm sure the electric motor will hold up fine, other days not, I tend to only fish the headlands on decent days as the backwash can be pretty dodgy.

Just to be sure though, I might try and find the 80lb Minn Kota as mentioned, also could hurt for when I do upgrade the boat to something a little bigger.

Thanks mate, super helpful, will check out BCF too, hopefully club membership helps. 

4 hours ago, Ocean Addiction said:

Hi eli,

I have a 54/54 Watersnake on the front of my 4.9m Bayliner Element (fibreglass).  I only use it for inside the Harbour so I can't comment about offshore use (although I am contemplating trying it offshore very soon).  I’ve had the unit for about 5 years and this is the third boat I have used it on.

In answer to your questions:

1.  Yes, but within reason.  What bothers me more is the unit popping out of the water with each swell.  Mine will pop out when going over a ferry wake.  Gets annoying real quick and probably isn’t too good for the unit being under load, no-load, load, no-load continually.  Glad I didn’t go with the 48” shaft as it would be out all the time!

2.  Maybe – I think my boat size is at the upper limit of what this unit can do.  Works fine but I need to use full power if trying to travel any distance into the wind (I just tell myself that slow = stealth).  I think offshore may be demanding on 55lb particularly if the current and wind are both against you.

3.  In my experience trying to manage the foot control, while looking at the GPS/sounder and keep your balance (and maybe put in a cast) in a bit of a swell is like trying to dance after WAY too many drinks.  For chasing bream on the flats or moving around a bridge or wharf the foot control is perfect.  Once you add boat wakes, a bit of a breeze and trying to sit right on top of a GPS mark I find I’m concentrating on too much other stuff and no longer fishing.  ie, it’s great for moving/prospecting but hard work sitting in one spot.

4.  I have a 120 AH deep cycle and it lasts all day running all my accessories (sounder, stereo, watersnake, lights etc).  Recently I have hooked the accessories battery up to a VSR to charge it when the engine is running.  Main reason was to have a backup in case something went wrong with the start battery.

Don’t get me wrong, the 54/54 has been faithful for quite a few years and having it on makes a massive improvement to how I fish.  But, if I found myself in the position of having to buy another unit now I would go for the GPS so I could concentrate more on fishing.  I would also be looking at the length of the shaft and maybe going up to 60” for my boat.

I hope my random thoughts help you out a bit. 

With any luck I’ll be taking the Watersnake offshore later this week so can report back on how she goes.  David

Thanks so much David very helpful info, great point regarding the multi-tasking in swell / chop, I think for what I'm looking to do that's a big factor, no point getting one just to have to spend too much time steering and running the thing and end up not fishing again, I think I'm definitely going to need the GPS function so I can really focus on fishing. From what it sounds like the 55lb is borderline, so I'm better to go for the 80lb Minn Kota for offshore work, and make sure the shaft length is generous to contend with bouncy headlands.

Re the battery as long as I get a full days fishing I'm not too phased about recharging, might need an extra battery with the 80lb though I think.

Again great tips!

I have been using a 55 motorguide with gps for about 12 months now. It has changed the way I fish, or am able to fish. Spot lock is amazing. I have my favourite spots locked in to it so I only need to press the right button and it takes me there and anchors on that spot. I use the petrol motor to get me close first of course. I can then move up down right or left 1.5 meters every time I push the right button also, This lets me fine tune my position on the day. I use it for trolling, just point it in the right direction and hit the heading lock button.  The 80 would be your best choice.  Regards Howard. 

Instead of an extra battery another option is a DC-DC charger. If you go for the 80lb unit you are already up for 2 batteries I think as they are 24 volt. A DC-DC charger can be connected between your crank and the deep cycles, and every time you are under power it will charge the deep cycles as soon as the crank is topped up. I don't believe you can do this with a VSR as the deep cycles need a trickle charge.

I run one on my 55lb (12v) Minn Kota and love it for trips away where the boat is on the water for a week.

Hi Eli, I  did this approximately 4 months ago on a 460 Dory. I fish in strong current 3 - 5 people in the boat. I originally  bought a 55lb motorguide and after using it one day, I  was lucky enough to be able to return it. I now have a 60" 80lb motorguide with remote. I spent just shy of $1000 on two 12 volt 105 amp hour batteries .  A wise old bloke on this site told me what I'm going to tell you. You can't do this a cheap way. Be prepared to spend $4500 - $5500 and then some. You'll need a  C tek charger also to look after the batteries. Does it work and is it worth it. You bet. I wouldn't go out in my boat with out it. Save your pennies though and do it properly the first time. I wired mine myself and saved some money. the rest of it is expensive though, but I won't ever own a boat without one. Cheers, Nathan.

21 hours ago, nwatson said:

Hi Eli, I  did this approximately 4 months ago on a 460 Dory. I fish in strong current 3 - 5 people in the boat. I originally  bought a 55lb motorguide and after using it one day, I  was lucky enough to be able to return it. I now have a 60" 80lb motorguide with remote. I spent just shy of $1000 on two 12 volt 105 amp hour batteries .  A wise old bloke on this site told me what I'm going to tell you. You can't do this a cheap way. Be prepared to spend $4500 - $5500 and then some. You'll need a  C tek charger also to look after the batteries. Does it work and is it worth it. You bet. I wouldn't go out in my boat with out it. Save your pennies though and do it properly the first time. I wired mine myself and saved some money. the rest of it is expensive though, but I won't ever own a boat without one. Cheers, Nathan.

Thanks mate top advice, you've got me super keen. Yes I've done that a couple of times before, best to do it properly saves in the long run. Cheers! 

3 hours ago, onearmedfisho said:

I'm running a Motor Guide Xi5 80lb on my 485

Everyone seems pretty happy with the Xi5, while the Minn Kota's have mixed reviews, sounds like a lot of them end up in the repair shop pretty regularly. How do you find it? Do you use it offshore?

20 hours ago, eli said:

Everyone seems pretty happy with the Xi5, while the Minn Kota's have mixed reviews, sounds like a lot of them end up in the repair shop pretty regularly. How do you find it? Do you use it offshore?

mainly rivers, estuaries etc. but my Xi5 has been perfect over the last 18 months since new