A new law that begins in NSW on 1 December 2016

Yeah- knew that but that's the problem with the whole "Rockfishing Safety" BS being foisted on us by the SLSA and certain local councils and MPA's (like the Bodaree National Park). People think that rockfisho's are dying like flies- at the end of the day life is not without risks and neither is rockfishing , but in general it is no more dangerous than a whole bunch of other activities. As i keep harping on-the safety aspect is being used as a precurser to a whole bunch of lockouts- just watch! And I can tell you I am really against lockouts- as a generallly offshore fisho these days- I still dont want to see ANY fisho locked out - even if it doesnt effect me personally

• 9 months later...

In my younger days when I regularly fished the rocks around Coogee and Maroubra I never put myself into situations when things were dangerous. In heavier seas, we fished Mistral Point or The Blessings, or a high ledge at South Coogee. There were plenty of places to go to in probably 75% of the conditions. When I didn't fish, I spearfished or I surfed regularly. This also meant I was able to read the water and as per my first sentence not put myself into dumb situations. In those years I have seen my fair share of silly people taking stupid risks for the sake of a fish or two. Yesterday, I watched a bunch of Asians (true) fishing at Shark Point and while most had the right footwear and lifejackets, one had neither and he attempted to cross dangerous section without even looking at the water movements nearly falling into the drink before my eyes. Incidentally, I am also an immigrant in Australia and had to learn all this water sense for myself through participating in SLSA, surfing etc...

The only time I had ever come anywhere close to drowning when I went surfing at The 'Bra in massive swells with no one else out at all and I got caught inside a monster set of waves. It was the most horrifying thing I have ever experienced and while it scared the absolute shyte out of me, I still kept surfing in big waves after the event...  

Personally, I disagree with having to wear a lifejacket because big brother wants to protect me from harm. I also doubt that there will be a mass enforcement of this law. Maybe at the more popular locations, but certainly not the more remote ones.

I will abide by it though, because I am compliant. But a law will not make for rockfishermen with common sense. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

The Central Coast Council has also decided to enforce life jackets for rock fishermen.

After many years rock fishing, surfing and surf lifesaving I am confident in my ability to know when  and where not to fish which I think is the most important aspect of rock fishing safety.

Whenever I see stories about fisherman washed in, I am usually saying to myself , "What on earth were you doing fishing off those rocks in this swell?"

It's often the case that those who have lost their lives rock fishing were poor swimmers with little or no experience of swimming in ocean surf/waves.

Like a matteroflight I too have had a near drowning experience surfing the big swell the day after Cyclone Colin hit the coast. You have to respect the ocean.

My only concern with life jackets would be my inability to dive under an approaching wave, something most surfers know how to do instinctively using the wave's energy to propel you under the swell and get out past the breaking waves to safer water.

KB

Edited by Koalaboi
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Koalaboi said:

My only concern with life jackets would be my inability to dive under an approaching wave, something most surfers know how to do instinctively using the wave's energy to propel you under the swell and get out past the breaking waves to safer water.

KB

Have a look at  Manual Inflatable PFD  -  does not restrict much body movements,  you can still dive,  and activate/inflate it if you change your mind.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I spoke to the Central Coast Council today. There will be an Education Program regarding safety on rock fishing.The program will last for six months. Other Councils have joined including Lake Macquarie. The NSW Government is going to fund some of this venture along with the Councils. The biggest problem Councils have is people go rock fishing and they can't swim. When the law comes in all life jackets must be approved and you must wear one when rock fishing.

Cheers.

35 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Hi All,

I spoke to the Central Coast Council today. There will be an Education Program regarding safety on rock fishing.The program will last for six months. Other Councils have joined including Lake Macquarie. The NSW Government is going to fund some of this venture along with the Councils. The biggest problem Councils have is people go rock fishing and they can't swim. When the law comes in all life jackets must be approved and you must wear one when rock fishing.

Cheers.

Good news. So, likely free PFDs (inflatable and foam) - if someone needs them, and meetings with Alex again.

We often enter the water from rocks diving, spearing and doing underwater photography, also surfers enter from rocks. Hopefully maritime can follow us around to look after our life jackets while we dive :)

• Haha 1

Hi All,

The news I received from the Council was not aimed at us. The Central Coast Council is worried about the people who visit our area  and do not know the dangers of rock fishing.  A lot of you know this area and the dangers, but the visitors don't and that worries the Central Coast Council.

Cheers

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

FYI

This has also now been implemented on the Northern Beaches. Only found out yesterday when I saw lifejacket signs where I was fishing at Fairlight pool. A spot I wouldn't consider a dangerous rock fishing spot. Might have to give up fishing this spot now.. 

1 hour ago, BuckWild said:

FYI

This has also now been implemented on the Northern Beaches. Only found out yesterday when I saw lifejacket signs where I was fishing at Fairlight pool. A spot I wouldn't consider a dangerous rock fishing spot. Might have to give up fishing this spot now.. 

Or just wear a jacket 🙄

Is it such an inconvenience or just te fact that your being told you have to?  

I go outn boats where I am not required to wear a jacket but I do so because I choose to & a see so many examples of where people lose their lives at sea because they weren't wearing one when it counted.

Edited by kingie chaser

1 minute ago, kingie chaser said:

Or just wear a jacket 🙄

Is it such an inconvenience or jus the fact that your being told you have to?  

I don't actually rock fish anymore. I actually have no problems with the life jacket law, but the spots that I fish aren't what you would call traditional rock fishing spots and aren't subjected to big swells. It's why I lure fish those areas. It is also an area utilised by a lot of sunbathers, so it will be interesting on how it will be policed. 

Because I'm a landbased lure fisho, I only carry a backpack and am constantly moving. So to answer your question, yes it is an inconvenience to wear a PFD and carry a backpack just to fish that area

I don't want to appear dumb but when I go to a shop looking for life vest for rock fishing there is a rack full of vests of all shapes, sizes and colours but nothing to indicate what is suitable for which situation, in my case rock fishing. The best vest is the one you will always wear so it has to be comfortable and fit for purpose. So what is a vest suitable for rock fishing and what colour .

Regards Jim

48 minutes ago, jot said:

I don't want to appear dumb but when I go to a shop looking for life vest for rock fishing there is a rack full of vests of all shapes, sizes and colours but nothing to indicate what is suitable for which situation, in my case rock fishing. The best vest is the one you will always wear so it has to be comfortable and fit for purpose. So what is a vest suitable for rock fishing and what colour .

Regards Jim

Most manual inflating level 150 vests are not very bulky at all & are not very expensive.

Marlin.jpg.de764cc97f0386e0d31ea7f31d28b1dc.jpg

Then again you could go the other way & get a manual inflated full jacket which you could remove the sleaves if desired, more exxy though but what is your life worth 

820308749_Jacketvest.jpg.1ea1acdce7645057d5c90c64c2b0ee85.jpg

Edited by kingie chaser