Catch and Release Fishing

foolforjesus

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G'day Chris. You've certainly got people chatting (and thinking) about the catch and release debate. You have acknowledged the difficulties with catching Trout (personal experience). I'm sure that most of us can relate to particular time frames where catches were more plentiful than they are at present. 

Major inroads are being made by the powers that be with size and bag limits now being applicable to most species. We recreational anglers need to encourage everybody into playing their part in complying with the rules and regulations which apply. We don't have to agree with the regulations but we do have to abide by them. Teaching the next generation of anglers that catch and release is a good thing, but that having an occasional feed of fresh fish, is also fine. I live in an area which is highly subject to ignorance and "she'll be right " mentality. An area where people feel victimised by being told that set lines ,drum nets and gill nets are a thing of the past. I take every opportunity that I get to enforce my views that we all have to do the right thing and play by the rules... IF we want the resources to be sustainable for future generations.

On the subject of fish and pain, etc. Fish eat other scaly, bony, spiny fish and crustaceans in order to survive. They are well equipped to do this on a regular basis. It's reasonable to assume that they don't have the same feeling of pain which we humans have. We couldn't do the same thing, could we? I caught a Murray Cod recently which I had caught in exactly the same spot the night before. It still had the hook down near to its gills where I'd cut it off. Not only was that fish feeling no adverse effects of being caught, but it (obviously) had no memory of being caught 24 hours earlier. Indeed it was still hungry enough to take my next bait.

Anyway, I could go on for ever...but enough said. Good topic, BNIMG_6166 (1024x768).jpg

4 hours ago, big Neil said:

G'day Chris. You've certainly got people chatting (and thinking) about the catch and release debate. You have acknowledged the difficulties with catching Trout (personal experience). I'm sure that most of us can relate to particular time frames where catches were more plentiful than they are at present. 

Major inroads are being made by the powers that be with size and bag limits now being applicable to most species. We recreational anglers need to encourage everybody into playing their part in complying with the rules and regulations which apply. We don't have to agree with the regulations but we do have to abide by them. Teaching the next generation of anglers that catch and release is a good thing, but that having an occasional feed of fresh fish, is also fine. I live in an area which is highly subject to ignorance and "she'll be right " mentality. An area where people feel victimised by being told that set lines ,drum nets and gill nets are a thing of the past. I take every opportunity that I get to enforce my views that we all have to do the right thing and play by the rules... IF we want the resources to be sustainable for future generations.

On the subject of fish and pain, etc. Fish eat other scaly, bony, spiny fish and crustaceans in order to survive. They are well equipped to do this on a regular basis. It's reasonable to assume that they don't have the same feeling of pain which we humans have. We couldn't do the same thing, could we? I caught a Murray Cod recently which I had caught in exactly the same spot the night before. It still had the hook down near to its gills where I'd cut it off. Not only was that fish feeling no adverse effects of being caught, but it (obviously) had no memory of being caught 24 hours earlier. Indeed it was still hungry enough to take my next bait.

Anyway, I could go on for ever...but enough said. Good topic, BNIMG_6166 (1024x768).jpg

Hi Neil,

Mate as you said, there is certainly a level of ignorance when it comes to doing the right thing.

I think its important to change the way we think a bit...Just because I can, should I got me thinking.

Good point on the types of fish/food fish eat, often very spiny, which would certainly cut us to shreds.

Having personally felt the affects of ignorance, and the she'll be right mentality, around the fisheries I frequent, it has led me to generally releasing most of what I catch.

I value the fishing I have available, and whilst putting back my catch may seem like it's not going to put a dent in the trend, if more people jump on board, things will turn around for the better I believe.

Yes that info of fish feeling pain is very good, and your recent capture suggests it is most likely accurate.

Good stuff Neil.

Cheers,

Chris

Hey Chris, such a shame to see that fella keep his 2 fishfingers the other night mate!

5 competent fly anglers and 1 good fish to show for it!

2 years ago we wouldve caught and released 25kg between the 5 of us (used to to that almost weekly) instead of 2kg

maybe next year or the year after or the year after that lol!

the most astonishing thing is its mainly local folk who seem not to give a rats!

"got meat buuuuurp"