Murray cod late spawning season

Hi raiders 

Just back from a cod trip. Raised a few on the fly but could not connect and that happens! 

Talking to my mate who is a go to for anything cod and he has noticed a lot of fish still on the nest. A few he hooked had it's mate follow. He's basically decided to lay off the cod till after Christmas. His thoughts are the waters only just started to warm and hence it's only been the last month the fish have gotten very frisky! 

Now im not saying don't chase cod as it's in season but raiders please be mindful to not target visibly nesting cod much as you don't target trout in the redds. The man m reason is if you stress a cod on the nest it may abandon it and any eggs are eaten by shrimp etc. or they absorb inlaid eggs. Potentially risking a good batch of fry hatching for future generations. 

On a side note there are plenty of early season fish being taken and cod numbers look healthy.

Thanks for that information Royce. Very interesting photo too. 

Not wishing to disagree with the information which you have provided (on good authority)...but I've always believed that after the male fertilises the eggs which she lays, the female Cod has nothing more to do with the process and that the male Cod takes over the role of looking after the hatching and subsequent welfare of the fingerlings. I've also thought that if a Cod is inadvertently (hopefully) caught in the closed season period...that it is unlikely to return to its duties at the nest. It would appear, and the photo would seem to support the argument, that my understanding could be flawed. It is quite hard to get definitive information about these fish as there is still a lot of mystery associated with the habits of Murray Cod, particularly in the different regions /environments, in which they live.

Unfortunately, in much of the regions which are near to where I live, the water clarity is so poor that one would have no idea what was going on under the water... Your picture would certainly appear to support an argument that both male and female tend the nest until the fingerlings are left to their own devices.

Thanks for sharing the post Royce, every bit of info helps. Cheers, BN

All good mate. We are not going to as fishers be able to not disturb fish. But more so I put this out there for when fishers can see it occurring to leave those fish alone. In Blowering many fish can be seen nesting in clear water. It's these situations we can leave fish to their devices.

When you're speaking to your mate Royce will you please ask him about the male and female fish tending the nest. I'm curious cos I think the info I was told came from a hatchery, that was (supposedly) well informed in the habits of spawning fish. I like to try to understand as much as I can about the fish in this region as they live a very precarious existence anyway...and are always struggling against the odds. Unfortunately the fishing here has been very poor and not what I'd expected after the floods. Cheers, BN

Thanks for that Royce. I'd no way of knowing what happens other than believing people who you think know what they're on about. Curious as to what the "flies" look like that would be used for Cod. Do you have any photos at all? Cheers, Neil