Fishing near Coogee beach?

trigunner54

I think there are quite a few good spots around that area, though you should go with a partner and pay attention to safety if you intend to fish off the rocks.

Others here can probably give you some good pointers as to specific locations!

7 hours ago, Mike89 said:

I think there are quite a few good spots around that area, though you should go with a partner and pay attention to safety if you intend to fish off the rocks.

Others here can probably give you some good pointers as to specific locations!

Some fine advice Coogee Beach has some top fishing spots but i would have a talk to a local to fine out the best places to go to fish there .

I normally fish Gordons Bbay myself as I find it easier to escape the swell there. It feels a bit safer, more protected. I've caught mac tuna, rats, bream, wrasse, eels, garfish, all sorts there. It's just a matter of timing. It's chocka block with squid and cuttles too usually.

Otherwise, the northern point at Clovelly is very popular. Plus I reckon there would be a tonne of good spots between Coogee and Maroubra.

There are no fish in the videos below but you can see the spots I fish.

2 hours ago, BrassRoots said:

I normally fish Gordons Bbay myself as I find it easier to escape the swell there. It feels a bit safer, more protected. I've caught mac tuna, rats, bream, wrasse, eels, garfish, all sorts there. It's just a matter of timing. It's chocka block with squid and cuttles too usually.

Otherwise, the northern point at Clovelly is very popular. Plus I reckon there would be a tonne of good spots between Coogee and Maroubra.

There are no fish in the videos below but you can see the spots I fish.

mate, people take surfboards onto the bus. A 10' rod is not a problem.

I looked at the life preserver rules the other day. Randwick is one of the councils trialing the new rules but only in areas deemed "high risk" like Juliennes etc. They have a fact sheet on the DPI website somewhere.

Edited by BrassRoots

20 hours ago, UnderFisher said:

You now need a lifejacket to fish basically any rock ledge in the Randwick City LGA. They have declared the whole area as high risk. This goes from Clovelly all the way south to Cap Banks and around the Botany Bay shore to Yarra Bay.

I think that I might have heard that this was a 'trial' of sorts that might be implemented state-wide. Do you know any more about this?

3 hours ago, Mike89 said:

I think that I might have heard that this was a 'trial' of sorts that might be implemented state-wide. Do you know any more about this?

So far a trial yes

i think its better if it is implemented statewide. As my mate who cannot swim does not want to buy a pfd.

Edited by xerotao

On 14/12/2016 at 2:28 PM, trigunner54 said:

In the end didn't end up fishing but snorkeling and saw a male grouper, stingrays, lots of wrasse and bream haha

Thats the best way to learne about an area you plan on fishing, I found some solid kings in close last week where I've never seen any fish before.

I have caught Spanish Mackerel off Shark Point,aka Clovelly point but it can be a dangerous spot as one forum member here found out.

Coogee beach at night,try it,it is deep water.

Coogee the aboriginal word for bad smell is part of Randwick council

Edited by D.G
add info

15 hours ago, D.G said:

I have caught Spanish Mackerel off Shark Point,aka Clovelly point but it can be a dangerous spot as one forum member here found out.

Coogee beach at night,try it,it is deep water.

Coogee the aboriginal word for bad smell is part of Randwick council

Or "Poogee" as we like to call it at home.