Kayak virgin

thirdtimelucky

Hello kayakers.

I would appreciate thoughts and advice from fishraider's kayakers.

I would like to be kayaking in botany bay with an electric or petrol motor (if thats possible). Im 110kg, if that has any bearing on the type of kayak. Anchor options for reefy spots would be nice. Some thing I can strap down to the back of the ute if possible (are they heavy?) 

The yaks that will accomodate big guys like us and also a trolling motor with a 30AH or more battery weigh in at over 30kgs. I find them easier to throw onto a ute than my FJ cruiser ?.

For anchoring, you install an anchor trolley so when you anchor you have the choice of where the Yak points.

Trolling motors come in many thrust choices, depending on what you are using the motor for, anything above 20lb should work for the Yak. Once you have chosen the motor pick out a suitable battery with enough AH to last you for your session X 1.5. 

Battery over petrol as petrol expires when you don't use it and it's cheaper to recharge a battery. Also you can run other devices like fish finder, bait tank, lights and charging ports off the one battery hence the X 1.5.

10 hours ago, Lungfai76 said:

The yaks that will accomodate big guys like us and also a trolling motor with a 30AH or more battery weigh in at over 30kgs. I find them easier to throw onto a ute than my FJ cruiser ?.

For anchoring, you install an anchor trolley so when you anchor you have the choice of where the Yak points.

Trolling motors come in many thrust choices, depending on what you are using the motor for, anything above 20lb should work for the Yak. Once you have chosen the motor pick out a suitable battery with enough AH to last you for your session X 1.5. 

Battery over petrol as petrol expires when you don't use it and it's cheaper to recharge a battery. Also you can run other devices like fish finder, bait tank, lights and charging ports off the one battery hence the X 1.5.

Thanks for the info mate. Is there any models or brands of yak you recommend?  

For pedal powered with options of adding in motor I'd recommend the Hobies, benefit of swapping in a mirage drive if the battery run flat is ?

Paddle powered with options to add on motor Ocean Kayak and Hobies.

But those ones are up there in price. Plenty of other options in the currently flooded market for Kayaks so decide on the budget then shop around. Remember the motor won't be the only mod you'll be doing to the Yak......rod holders, fish finder, anchor, led lights, bait tanks, drift chute, camera mount, bait chopping board, sump pump, fridge, speakers, and my list grows every time I look at my Yak ?

• 1 month later...

You can get a new trolling motor design called Bixpy jet. This unit combined with lithium battery weights only 5 kg. My trolling motor and battery weights more than 30kgs.

Expensive but ideal for cutting down weight.

Very interesting concept. 

Its just manufacting the  designs

preorder now.

Www.bixpyjet.com

I liked it so much i ordered one for my Hobie pa 14 2017 model. 

Edited by Rah