Easiest Soft Plastic to Use

youngfisher10

Hi,

I am a wanting to get into soft plastics, and was wondering what are the some of the easiest and most effective soft plastics to use. Am mainly targeting species like bream, flathead, basically any fish that can be found in NSW rivers. Specific brands, types and colours would be greatly appreciated

Thanks! 

Rather than suggest a particular soft plastic and jig head that will work I'd like to suggest that you have a look on Youtube ...how to use soft plastics. It's really more about technique than a particular brand, size or colour. If there's a hungry fish there, you will most likely catch it by using the right technique. This may appear unhelpful but if you have a look at the process and then get the gear, you will have much better results than filling a tackle box with every soft plastic available. Put the time in doing your research and you will start off much further down the road to success. Look forward to seeing how you go. Good luck. BN

you have asked a small question with large answers..every different waterway has different sps that work better..i use 5 and 6 inch grub tails in lake Macquarie but use smaller sizes in port stephens..jig heads vary in size as to size of lure .current.drift speed.so many variables that its hard to honestly say use this one particular sp..everyone has favourite colours...we can have three guys fishing in one boat with three different colours and all catch fish...you havnt said where you are fishing..some good colours at the moment im having success with are...nuclear chicken/satay chicken/pumpkinseed/watermelon/hot pink/then some no name sps in browns and gold fleck natural colours also clear or black and gold prawn imitations..as neil said technique is the major factor in instigating a reaction from fish..if you ask on here im sure there would be a raider in your area willing to show you the ropes...good luck

Thanks guys! Sorry for the lack of information that i provided.  but i am mainly going to fish places like the Georges River and Port Hacking, but am also planning to go the places like The Entrance and Jervis Bay. I have bought a Shimano Sienna 2500 with a Shimano Catana 702 rod. 

The most challenging thing about starting with plastics is being confident that you have put it on the hook (Jig Head) correctly. Get this down pat first then you will be confident you are presenting correctly. I found the Berlkey Gulps that come in the container of fluid were really easy to rig, you can get them at KMART and you can get them in packets as well. You can also cheat as they have a long cut out underneath for weedless rigging. You can put the hook end in and bring it down then pop out in the cut out. Then spin around and pop back where you have measured. See video. This is the easiest way to start rigging and therefore be confident your doing it right. 

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with the comment about the process being important. My local library (Hurstville) has a copy of Starlo and Bushy's On Soft Plastics & How To Use Them which is well worth a read. I went through it a couple of times when I first started using SPs and it helped my confidence enormously. It obviously uses examples from their range of plastics but the techniques are generic.

The local guide up here starts clients off with a Burkley Swimming Mullet in 3" Pumkinseed , , it is from the Gulp range so has built in scent, on a jig head heavy enough to keep in contact with the bottom., and a slow lift and drop ..   This combination catches a lot of fish and I use it a lot.  Best fished along drop offs and rock walls.  Howard.

Hiya,

Now that I'm starting to get a bit more experienced I thought I'd chime in with some of my past mistakes and experiences.

I moved over here in August of 2014, and bought 2 rods at BCF for over 250 bucks. Turns out, they are pretty crap and never used them. They will be going on Gumtree for 50 bucks tonight, should probably get around to doing that.

Bought a 2-4kg bushy bait something from Shimano. Nice rod, about 8 foot or so in length. Paired it up with a 2500 sienna and 8lbs braid. For the first 6 months or so of fishing, I only every caught one Trevally, the rest of the fish were Flathead, and all under 40cm. The Trevally went 43cm. I was exclusively using 1/8 and 1/6oz jigheads, with 1/0 to 1 hooks and squidgy wrigglers (100mm).

Fast forward to today, I fish with a 2-4kg Shakespeare spin travel rod (4 piece), with a 2500 sienna, 6lbs braid and 4lbs leader (very important, using the light leader). I pair it up with 1/8oz to 1/21oz jigheads depending on the current and the depth (usually fish the 1/12 oz or 1/20oz, even in fast run-in or run-out, as that catches the bream!). As for bait: variety is key! I usually pack 4 or 5 varieties of z-man grubz in the 2.5 or 3 inch size (motoroil, bloodworm, watermelon red are my staples). I also pack plug tail and wrigglers from Squidgies. I've recently started adding 4" and 5" zman minnows for the surf. 

Basically, I'm trying to stress the importance of testing, failing, changing, testing, failing, catching, testing, failing. 

My new challenge is converting from a pure SP fisherman to using bait (been experimenting using chicken, but I've noticed, although I'm catching more fish, they are usually far smaller (20cm bream vs 30+ cm bream).

Anywho, if you want to head out one day and have a fish, let me know, I'm always keen to fish with others :)

Hi YF, I have just joined this forum and happy to offer some suggestions.... to answer your question start with a paddle tail or a vibe.

Paddle Tail - I like the 10x stretch material, this material is now used in a few different brands.... if you use the generic rubber compounds then you will find the pickers destroy them in no time, not to mention its probably not doing the fish much good either having chunks of plastic in their stomachs...so you will be forever re-rigging lures and watching $$$ disappear quickly replenishing your lure stocks. A 3-4inch plastic paddle tail is a good size, small enough for a big bream, large enough for a big jew and a good all round size for any size flattie. Lift and drop, touch the bottom and repeat - Its that easy. Make sure the lure is set straight on the hook, if the lure spirals as you drop it then re-rig - if your fishing in 10 meters of water use a 3/8 jig head, if your fishing in 5 meters of water use a 1/4. You want several seconds of suspension time after your flick before you touch the bottom....

Vibes - A single slow lift, you will feel the vibration of the vibe in the rod tip...find that point where you no longer feel the vibration, add a touch so you can just feel the vibration and that's the sweet spot. Again drop and hit the bottom. and repeat. A tight line should be kept with the vibe so when it sinks it doesn't spiral... by nature vibes will want to spiral if they are given too much slack... keep in contact with the vibe and it should sink nicely. I like to follow the vibe down with the rod tip... this way I keep in close contact at all times. Vibes are an excellent way to start plastics fishing, very productive and easy to use... these days you should pick vibes relatively cheap... forget the $30.00 trans-am price tag. Go online and you should be well under $10.00 each for decent vibes. Most cheap lures catch just as many fish, its how you use the lures that matters. Strike up hard if you feel the bite.. I find the smaller bites are often the bigger fish. Good Luck and I hope you make the call Fishonn.:)

Edited by Fishonn

• 4 months later...