Livies rig

blaxland

Hi raiders,

Relatively new to boat fishing sydney harbour fishing solo out of 4.3 mtr runnabout. Just wondering if its better to have a running sinker above swivel to leader or put the sinker between two swivels.

Hoping to catch Kingfish with either live squid or yakka using 15kg rod and Shimano 8000 baitrunner. At the moment 15lb mono to 40LB leader upgrade to braid coming soon.

Cheers Billy

I don't bother with the top swivel but if you want to stop the sinker going too far up the line you can tie half a rubber band on the leader above the sinker with a stopper knot. You can adjust the position of it and it can go through the guides if you want it further up. Possible problems from no top swivel or stopper are when you let line out too quickly as the sinker sinks it pulls line off the spool and the bait doesn't sink as much, meaning the sinker ends up at the bottom and the bait somewhere in the middle. As you wind up the bait goes down or the sinker can twist and cause a tangle mid way. Easy solution is to lower your hard earned live bait slowly so he doesn't get dizzy or tangled. 

53 minutes ago, Raymondo said:

All hail the rubber band, works a treat. So many uses for a rubber band on the boat. Just keep em out of bildges, they ruin pumps.?

Very true. I have had hair, short bits of braid (ever mine) and a piece of busted ballon (all seperate occasions) break live bait pumps by getting sucked up the inlet.