Howdy folks, a quick report from the 'Bidgee (for those interested) and those visiting the area over the holiday period. I've been out at all times of the day and night to try to pick a pattern and maximise my results. It appears that the darker hours are the only time that Cod are actively feeding. All of the fish caught are well nourished, that's for sure, however they are proving to be very elusive...no matter the offering. Have tried baits and also lures and spinner baits. Nothing so far on the latter offerings. Only managed 10 fish so far and 2 of these were legal size. Nothing big (as yet) and all have been released to get bigger, and hungrier. The river heights are up and down like a yoyo and there's always been a good flow happening. I'm still a bit puzzled as to why the results have been so poor, but will keep plodding on trying to crack the code.IMG_6174resize.jpgIMG_6161resize.jpgIMG_6171resize.jpgIMG_6166 (1024x768).jpgIMG_6174resize.jpgIMG_6174resize.jpgIMG_6174resize.jpg

1 hour ago, frankS said:

The cicadas are at full voice here in Sydney so should be a good time, try surface poppers at dusk and into early darkness.

Frank

G'day Frank. I'm not sure the Cod out here can hear the cicadas in Sydney, Frank. JOKE!  Fairly hard finding water that's running slow enough to use any sort of lure or spinner bait at present. Full moon tonight and an overcast, rainy day so I'll be out there up to and after dark. Fingers crossed that this weather change may get the fish biting and the mozzies not. Just got to keep trying, bound to pay off eventually. Cheers, BN

4 hours ago, Rah said:

Some great pics there Big Neil

Hopefully some more fish will come soon.

Cheers

Tara

Thanks Tara. Read of the theft of your gear Tara. Some real low lives around...opportunistic bastards. Hope you are able to claim insurance and replace your precious gear. Better still that they catch the lowlife and give them heaps. Sad, BN

Update... went out last night and bait fished for about 4 hours. Very overcast and the full moon was never sighted. Stayed till after dark and ended up with 3 Cod to 53 cms and a small Trout Cod. The first fish caught was the same one that I caught in exactly the same spot, the night before. It had swallowed the hook and I had carefully cut it off and released the fish. I recall thinking, at the time, that the fish was quite pale in colour. What pleases me about that, is that the fish can and do overcome swallowing hooks, with no fatal result ensuing. That is heartening to know. 

Also I have this electronic gadget which (supposedly) emits some sort of frequency that keeps mozzies at bay. I have to say that I am finding it excellent and haven't had a single mozzie bite since I started using it a month ago. I do take the added precaution of using OFF! tropical strength as a back up. For anyone interested the electronic device is MOZZIGEAR...works for me! BBFN, BN

20 hours ago, big Neil said:

Thanks Tara. Read of the theft of your gear Tara. Some real low lives around...opportunistic bastards. Hope you are able to claim insurance and replace your precious gear. Better still that they catch the lowlife and give them heaps. Sad, BN

Thanks Neil,

On the plus side i spend nearly a grand replacing tackle, rod and reel yesterday and that was fun. I will hopefully only be a grand out of pocket once the insurance comes through.

Cheers

Tara

7 hours ago, Rah said:

Thanks Neil,

On the plus side i spend nearly a grand replacing tackle, rod and reel yesterday and that was fun. I will hopefully only be a grand out of pocket once the insurance comes through.

Cheers

Tara

Good onya Tara. Hope you're soon back into it and that the insurance coughs up. Have a good Christmas, BN