Trailer Wheels

lambo

Gday. I hv a problem. Doing some trailer maintenance before going away in Jan. I have alloy rims on steel hubs. I am replacing the bearings. I cant get the rims to separate from the hubs - they are frozen on. The nuts came off fine. No amount of gentle persuasion will budge them. I dont want to really get the big persuader out (sledge hammer) as that wud probably crack the rims.

Any ideas ??

Cheers

10 minutes ago, lambo said:

Gday. I hv a problem. Doing some trailer maintenance before going away in Jan. I have alloy rims on steel hubs. I am replacing the bearings. I cant get the rims to separate from the hubs - they are frozen on. The nuts came off fine. No amount of gentle persuasion will budge them. I dont want to really get the big persuader out (sledge hammer) as that wud probably crack the rims.

Any ideas ??

Cheers

If your worried leave the wheel attached to the hub and just remove the castellated nut and pull the assembly off as a unit.

You really need to give them a good whack to free them from the hub with a block of wood or hammer.

If they're really stuck gentle heat persuasion often helps.

In future anti-seize or a luck of grease on the hubs flange works wonders to eliminate what your dealing with.

I have a post up on changing wheel bearings if you need help.

Goodluck.

Edited by Fab1

4 minutes ago, lambo said:

thanks. i hv bearing buddies fitted so i cant get the pin out of the castellated nut. i suppose i coule cit the pin ??

cheers

Remove your bearing buddies first with a block of wood and hammer which will expose your castellated nut and split pin for removal.

Have you done bearings before?

1 hour ago, lambo said:

done the bearings several times before. due to the shape of the alloys, i cant get the bbuddies out as they are nearly flush with the outside of the rimthe

Have you got a photo of your wheel and buddy so we can see what your talking about?

2 hours ago, fredflathead said:

Don't leave the forum FAB1 what we do without you, there  must be a lot of newbie that use you advice.. great thanks norm

Cheers mate.That's what's great about this forum as there's a wealth of knowledge we can all learn something from newbie or not.

problem solved. 30 yr old son (who is a plumber) and much stronger than me, called around. no heat needed. just a big hit with his big persuader (on a block of wood) cracked the seal with 1 hit each side. bearings now done.

cheers

2 hours ago, lambo said:

problem solved. 30 yr old son (who is a plumber) and much stronger than me, called around. no heat needed. just a big hit with his big persuader (on a block of wood) cracked the seal with 1 hit each side. bearings now done.

cheers

Good to hear mate.Have a safe trip.