Sydney summer season. Everything seems to be pretty quiet.

jarvis689

Sydney is full of fishos obssesed with "going wide" , its amazing how many times you will hear on the radio- "saw heaps of bait in 70 fathoms but there is nothing going on out past Browns or at the Hill"- why drive past bait?

The bait is usally holding wide round my way, and if the bait is in close its usally because there is nothing chashing it and they feel safe.In saying that I refer to "out wide" as being 15km or so and further. Im sure others wouldn't consider out wide till the shelf. I wish we had regular captures in close. Might have to live in Scratchies garage for the summer. 

Last two seasons ive caught 10 marlin off Sydney and hooked about another 18- most in the 70-80 fathom area where the bait holds- some as close as 2km offshore- my son and I went 4-3-1 one hectic morning about 2km off South head Feb 2015 - we had boats driving past us all morning - and spend the rest of the day whinging on the radio about nothing happening out wide. Blacks can be anywhere, Stripes tend to hunt the edge of the shelf . Caught one black off Coffs a few years back in 10M of water. Key to nearly every marlin ive hooked has been the presence of bait- I will add one thing to my comments- I know nothing about blues. 

Amazing how over the years the small boats and motors have got better and everyone thinks the good fishing is out past the shelf because they can now reach that area fairly safely. You can still catch big fish in  60 to 100 Fathoms there are no fences out there. Always fish with the bait.

6 hours ago, Raymondo said:

The bait is usally holding wide round my way, and if the bait is in close its usally because there is nothing chashing it and they feel safe.In saying that I refer to "out wide" as being 15km or so and further. Im sure others wouldn't consider out wide till the shelf. I wish we had regular captures in close. Might have to live in Scratchies garage for the summer. 

I love the inshore program up here! It gives even the smallest boats a good chance! 

most off the hard core marlin fishos are chasing blues on the edge off the shelf and beyond blue marlin make strips marlin like the difference between bream and big snapper 

having said that to me a marlin is a marlin and only having a 5 meter boat i have to pick my days and it has to be a good day for me to go to browns

the run we do is as follows south head to the peak to the 12 mile to the shelf run along the shelf north to monavale head in to long reef wide past the wave rider buoy the fad and back in at north head

this is a good 8 hour troll and i have marks all over this run were we have caught marlin mainly stripes and the odd blue along the shelf

if we hit bait or birds working we work that spot always on the lookout for action off any sort

note;; if the water is sloppy and i can only do 8 kn well i chuck the spread out and I never bring it in till were inside north head

you never know when your going to hook up we caught a stripe 2 km off south head  dropped a big wahoo inside the peak and hooked small blacks 600 meters off blue fish point