Hawkesbury River trip

mammoth64

Hi all, I hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas and that Santa was good to you all. I'm a first time poster on reports, so hope I don't sound to much like a whinger:unsure: but I'm an avid fan and hope to be adding more successful reports over the 2017 year and hope to get into the annual Hairtail event this year, couldn't last year because of work commitments.

Took the family for a fish yesterday Thursday 29/12 and decided to launch the boat at the ramp beside the F3/M1, I've been fishing on the Hawkesbury for a few years now although still have lot to learn. Been chasing the elusive Jew for a few years now, only soapies so far biggest to date is 690mm but I keep trying.

We arrived at the ramp at about 7am and was greeted by complete chaos, while the wife and the young fella went of the toilet, I readied the boat to drop in the water. I managed to get in beside a parked car and a Mobile home that had decided that the boat prep area was the best place for him to park. After backing the boat down to the ramp and launching it was now time to find a park for my car and trailer. What a wondrous adventure this was, cars were parked in the trailer parking area preventing anyone from parking a car and trailer, mostly people camping along the back tree line and of course more motor homes. Place looked more like a caravan park than a boat ramp. (I am truly surprised they haven't started charging to use the area by now)

I noticed 4 people sitting in their 4wd and asked them if they could move and go round to the carpark area so that I could park my car and boat trailer as that is what the area is reserved for, I was told rather abruptly where to go. I noticed a Highway patrol car and started walking over toward him, at that point they did decided to move, and I managed to park the car and trailer. I spoke to the Highway patrol officer and was informed that the police have no jurisdiction over the carpark and they cannot tell people where they can and cannot park, and here was me thinking it was a public domain.

We finally set off although, tried fishing near the oyster leases but the wind kept pushing us away so near the top of the tide we tried under the Rail Bridge, unfortunately nothing on the chew apart from undersize Bream and Tailor, still young fella got to christen his new rod and reel on some smaller fish (start out small only, way is up from there). We decided to head upstream and found a nice little beach to have a picnic and a soak in the river. 

After arriving back at the ramp and finally managing to get back on the jetty, we were greeted by nothing short of complete and utter chaos, there were cars parked in the prep area 2 deep, as well as special mate with his motor home, I spoke to a couple of guys waiting to launch, (they had been waiting for nearly 1/2hr to get their boat in the drink) boat owners were now having to line up beside the fish cleaning area down past the toilets so they could either launch or retrieve their boats, which in turn lead to the exit being blocked. The whole area was pretty much stuffed, more cars parked in the trailer parking area than boat trailers. I told the blokes I was talking to that I would wait til they launched before moving my car so they had somewhere to park.

After a 3/4hr wait I finally managed to retrieve my boat and I had to drive up to the roundabout to clean up and get the boat ready for the road trip home. 

The area is shocking especially considering it is designed and laid out as a Boat ramp for boats, If the police can't do anything about it, whose job is it, are the RMS responsible for it or Council. I know the area was opened up so as to enable more boat trailer parking but all this has done is attracted more cars to the area and made it nearly impossible for boat owners. 

Anyway happy to report was an excellent fun, family day out fishing. Wishing everyone tight lines and a Happy New Year.

Unfortunately you just have to roll with the punches or take it on the chin. The ramp is far better than it way a couple of years ago

at least the ramp itself is now above average.

Just a bad time of year to be wanting things to go smoothly as they should, everyone is out for a good time and unfortunately most people are only thinking of themselves and their own familys and will grab any spot available weather it's the appropriate spot or not. The early bird gets the spot.

I can understand your frustrations but don't let it deter you from enjoying boating and fishing with your family, and keep the reports coming.

Frank

38 minutes ago, mammoth64 said:

Hi all, I hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas and that Santa was good to you all. I'm a first time poster on reports, so hope I don't sound to much like a whinger:unsure: but I'm an avid fan and hope to be adding more successful reports over the 2017 year and hope to get into the annual Hairtail event this year, couldn't last year because of work commitments.

Took the family for a fish yesterday Thursday 29/12 and decided to launch the boat at the ramp beside the F3/M1, I've been fishing on the Hawkesbury for a few years now although still have lot to learn. Been chasing the elusive Jew for a few years now, only soapies so far biggest to date is 690mm but I keep trying.

We arrived at the ramp at about 7am and was greeted by complete chaos, while the wife and the young fella went of the toilet, I readied the boat to drop in the water. I managed to get in beside a parked car and a Mobile home that had decided that the boat prep area was the best place for him to park. After backing the boat down to the ramp and launching it was now time to find a park for my car and trailer. What a wondrous adventure this was, cars were parked in the trailer parking area preventing anyone from parking a car and trailer, mostly people camping along the back tree line and of course more motor homes. Place looked more like a caravan park than a boat ramp. (I am truly surprised they haven't started charging to use the area by now)

I noticed 4 people sitting in their 4wd and asked them if they could move and go round to the carpark area so that I could park my car and boat trailer as that is what the area is reserved for, I was told rather abruptly where to go. I noticed a Highway patrol car and started walking over toward him, at that point they did decided to move, and I managed to park the car and trailer. I spoke to the Highway patrol officer and was informed that the police have no jurisdiction over the carpark and they cannot tell people where they can and cannot park, and here was me thinking it was a public domain.

We finally set off although, tried fishing near the oyster leases but the wind kept pushing us away so near the top of the tide we tried under the Rail Bridge, unfortunately nothing on the chew apart from undersize Bream and Tailor, still young fella got to christen his new rod and reel on some smaller fish (start out small only, way is up from there). We decided to head upstream and found a nice little beach to have a picnic and a soak in the river. 

After arriving back at the ramp and finally managing to get back on the jetty, we were greeted by nothing short of complete and utter chaos, there were cars parked in the prep area 2 deep, as well as special mate with his motor home, I spoke to a couple of guys waiting to launch, (they had been waiting for nearly 1/2hr to get their boat in the drink) boat owners were now having to line up beside the fish cleaning area down past the toilets so they could either launch or retrieve their boats, which in turn lead to the exit being blocked. The whole area was pretty much stuffed, more cars parked in the trailer parking area than boat trailers. I told the blokes I was talking to that I would wait til they launched before moving my car so they had somewhere to park.

After a 3/4hr wait I finally managed to retrieve my boat and I had to drive up to the roundabout to clean up and get the boat ready for the road trip home. 

The area is shocking especially considering it is designed and laid out as a Boat ramp for boats, If the police can't do anything about it, whose job is it, are the RMS responsible for it or Council. I know the area was opened up so as to enable more boat trailer parking but all this has done is attracted more cars to the area and made it nearly impossible for boat owners. 

Anyway happy to report was an excellent fun, family day out fishing. Wishing everyone tight lines and a Happy New Year.

Welcome to Xmas holiday chaos.You guys have the patience of a saint.That would put me off fishing for life!!!

Then again I would take one look at that and head for home real quick.

Glad you got some enjoyment in the end.

On 12/31/2016 at 5:36 AM, Day's Fishin said:

That has become the norm at that ramp. Mobile homes in the launching area and 4wd's with awnings off the side parked in the trailer  bays having a picnic and sleep over.  It's about time the council rangers earned their pay!

Jeff

True Jeff, Look at Botany Bay Ramp, it has full time Security during weekends and holidays, it works very successfully for all, surely a system like that would prove itself good for all.

Edited by mammoth64

On ‎30‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 7:50 AM, mammoth64 said:
41 minutes ago, mammoth64 said:
On ‎30‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 7:58 AM, blackfish angler said:

Thats fishing for you mate sometimes it can be a real bummer its happens to all of us .

True Jeff, Look at Botany Bay Ramp, it has full time Security during weekends and holidays, it works very successfully for all, surely a system like that would prove itself good for all.

I think there is security at foreshore every day.

I only go fishing during the week because its a shambles on the weekends.

The other option is to pick another ramp.

There are more in the area!

I drove past there heading north to Gosford on 27th December and it was packed then. Saw heaps of campervans and cars parked there at that time too. Very popular spot for everyone.

Hope you had a great day on the water anyway. Put that one in the memory bank for later.

12 hours ago, Day's Fishin said:

There is only one more in that area and is very busy on weekends, anyway why should a mobile homes/caravans and campers be allowed to block boat ramps and take up car and trailer parking areas?

Jeff

That's according to the current RMS site but are these others still in operation?

Hawkesbury ramps.png

Same problem occurred at the Swansea Boat ramp with cars parked in the spots allocated for cars with trailers, went for an afternoon fish yesterday and the newly upgraded carpark was almost full except for 1 spot, which luckily had my name on it.  

It can be tuff during the holidays!

Parsley bay boat ramp isn't to far from there? I always use that ramp and apart from a couple of cowboys i have never really had a problem. Although i have had to give my fair share of uppings out to wankers who moor up at the loading pontoons, nothing frustrates me more!

Hi Mammoth, I hear your frustrations, I also use this ramp and have noticed a considerable increase in camping traffic since the new amenities were built. There really isn't anyone to blame other than the council as they have no signage up.... if there are no signs then people will always please themselves and its difficult to argue the point.

The boat trailer loading bays should be signed as a boat and trailer only with a 10 minute restriction. The other longer trailer parking areas should also be well sign posted as trailers boat trailer only. I really don't mind campers and RV owners using the area are a lay over...I would rather see this than people driving long hauls becoming fatigued and adding to the road toll, I also see this as added security when our boats and trailers are sitting unattended all day. I think hot fingers are a bit cooler when eyes are about!!

I just keep well away during silly season, besides with all the skis and boats it shuts the fishing down anyway making what should be an easy relaxing and productive day very frustrating.

For what its worth write the council a letter, if enough people do it then they might do something about it.

Cheers

Fishonn

Thanks for all the replies good to hear I am not the only feeling the frustrations and not the only ramp feeling the snarl. I will definitely look at Parsley Bay next time, and some of the other ramps mentioned by Kingie Chaser although I think the RMS have included a couple of private ramps owned by Boat Hire mobs. (I know 2 are) 

I did write an email to the Gosford Council, who apparently are the authority responsible suggesting that they sign post the area and maybe even rangers/security visit the car park from time to time during peak times, but over all I think finding another option is the best approach. I travel out there all the way from Campbelltown area so it does make it extremely frustrating. 

Cheers all 

Greg

Greg another option is Apple Tree Bay boat ramp, this puts you in Cowan creek and a 15 min boat ride will have you at the front of the Hawkesbury. Alternatively contained within Apple Tree Bay are some nice spots and good fishing...with the added bonus of speed restrictions in some of these areas, so cowboys on Jet Skis and hoons in high powered ski boats are less likely to bother you (unless you are fishing in the main river section)

The boat ramp itself is excellent and I would go as far as saying one of the best in the Upper North Shore Area, its wide, plenty of parking and a jetty that runs along its side for boat parking... and located within the National Park, so rangers are about and no campers are permitted. However like all ramps it does get busy on a summers Sunday/public holiday. Just be aware you do need a parks pass or pay for the day.

Happy to provide more detail, just PM if you need more info.

Agree with Apple Tree BAy- was there yesterday for a family trip and even with heaps of jetskiers and us doing an 8-4 day (worst launch and retrieve times) we were in the water in about 7 minutes and out in 10. If i am going up to Pittwater or out to sea from Broken Bay its an extra 7-10 minute run on the water compared to Brooklyn. If I am working the Hawkesbury itself then Berowra is a good choice- its also only about a 10-15 minute run to Bar Point.

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Fishonn said:

Mammoth, just thought i would let you know that the boat parking areas at Brooklyn are now well marked and sign posted. 

but never policed! Signs don't work if people don't read them or care about them. I've been there with a half empty carpark and people still parked in the boat unloading zone!

I was at Gosford boat ramp the other day and was pleased to see officers booking cars for parking in the car+trailer locations. Maybe if enough people complain to the Gosford council about Deerubbin they might start to enforce it there.