Advice of Marlin fishing

I've been chasing my first marlin for about three years its been a learning curve and I am at the stage that we have the spreed right reading maps and are able to find and raise marlin and get a strike. But i keep dropping the fish soon after the strike.  

Can anyone give me some advice I'm thinking that when I get the strike I need to speed the boat up or maybe look at changing the point angle on the hooks.

Any advise appreciated

dogbox

Edited by dogbox

Live bait and circle hooks work best for me.

If you keep loosing them it sounds like you may need to set he hooks harder, remember you are trying to set those hooks into something like a piece of hardwood. Make sure the hooks are ultra sharp.

Jon

Striped marlin are notoriously hard to hook on lures. They will make you think you are doing everything wrong, but its just the way they take a lure from behind while swimming towards the boat. Skip baits and live baits are best but you need to be on the fish as you don't travel far at the slower speed. I like switch baiting them as you get lure speed coverage with bait hookup rates. You just need the right people to fish with who will stay alert.

Down here on the south coast we are a little spoilt for stripped marlin as the seem to congregate inside the shelf only around 16 km offshore in places. Another big plus is the area I target them is where the local lobster fishermen set their traps, meaning floats and dolphin fish.

I often work my way through these chassing dollies untill I find large bait balls with beakies. 

On ‎30‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 0:07 PM, dogbox said:

I've been chasing my first marlin for about three years its been a learning curve and I am at the stage that we have the spreed right reading maps and are able to find and raise marlin and get a strike. But i keep dropping the fish soon after the strike.  

Can anyone give me some advice I'm thinking that when I get the strike I need to speed the boat up or maybe look at changing the point angle on the hooks.

Any advise appreciated

dogbox

What type of hook are you using

Well I'm not to sure on hooks my fishing mate is the one who has invested in all the gear. We are going out again on Wed I'll check with him and discuss our current techs.

On another question the bait station 17NM off Nth head is this a place you can catch bait or this a place just to drag lures or float lives?

dogbox

its an area where you can get a bit of bait congregating-just inside the shelf- its more a general area than a specific spot. Just on the SL12's- they are a great hook- but 1. you need to wrap them in anode tape to stop them corroding away very quickly and 2. after you have hooked/caught a fish on them - chuck 'em in the bin- once they are stressed they fail- I can usually straighten them on the leader which makes for an easy release- I have had a reused one break on a fish too.

• 2 weeks later...

You can use standard game hooks but a good idea is to file away most of the barb. The large barb requires a lot of pressure to penetrate and is the reason for a lot of failed hook-ups. Also if you can rig the hook stiff instead of free swinging on the shackle this may help. Using bait and a drop back avoids the poor hook up rate but it is often more convenient to put lures out.