Father and son new to fishing - what to buy and where to go

mikeyandmary

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this should be posted here or in the tackle section.

We saw some people fishing on a recent camping trip and my son (6yo) has asked me to take him fishing. Last time I went fishing was almost 30 years ago when I was a kid and while I had fun, I never caught anything.

We currently have no gear. I was thinking of something cheap and simple to start with just in case it doesn't work out. I saw this at KMart http://www.kmart.com.au/product/6ft-saturn-junior-fishing-rod--reel-combo-kit---2-4-kg/780315

We live in the Upper Blue Mountains so Lithgow and Hawkesbury/Nepean areas are easily accessible.

So... my question is what to buy and where to try.

Thanks heaps...

Michael

Hey mike,

go to the big camping, fishing store at Penrith and get a sienna combo for about $80. 

The nepean river under the bridge across from the log cabin is a great area to target bass! Shallow divers in this area early morning and late afternoon should provide a few fish!

cheers scratchie!!! 

Mike, avoid the cheapest combos - whether its from Kmart or the same 3xpriced stuff from tackle shops as it will end quickly in the disappointment.

As Scratchie suggested - pay a visit to big camping, fishing store or big orange snake store when it is not too busy as they might have  good rod&reel deals at the moment.

Usually Sienna 2500 reel and Shimano Sonic or Pflueger Trion rods 2-4 kg are suggested as entry level combos.

Hi Mike,

I agree with the above raiders. Those cheap combos are nothing but headaches....they usually turn into a birds nest after a few casts. Try a shop like a shop Outdoors, BCF or any tackle store. Buy something that your going to spend valuable time fishing with your son, not fixing and hating it after the first outing.

Edited by Sigma

Guest Guest123456789

Low light is best (around dawn or dusk). Focus your tackle buying and tactics on just catching bass, when you try to catch anything and everything you can quickly waste a lot of time and money. It's like scouts, master one discipline before moving onto the next one. When buying your lure try to match the insects and bait in the area. If lots of cicadas around match a cicada etc. Also good to just use one or two lures and one bait. So maybe a cicada looking surface crank bait and a 2 inch pumpkinseed soft plastic grub on a 1/24 jig head, then for bait just bring some garden worms and use a size 0 ball sinker (or lighter if you can). That way you can try a spot, use three different techniques then move to the next spot until you catch one. Maybe go by yourself a couple of times before taking your son.

hope this helps, best of luck!

Guest Guest123456789

Oh and here is the site for learning to tie knots:

www.netknots.com

you only need to learn the uni knot. To start with I would avoid braid just get a rod with 6lbs mono for bass. It's a lot less hassle.

Sent you a PM, I'm also close to the Nepean!

@Scratchie Are you talking Log Cabin side, or opposite? I'm guessing opposite, as on the Log Cabin side there are a lot of trees and stuff in the way, which would make it near impossible to cast.

Edited by Wellzy94

• 2 weeks later...

Stick to the KMART rods their cheap and do the job.

I spoke with a NSW Fishery Officer out West about the Nepean River some years ago now and he said to me that the Nepean River was full of Bass,they stock it every year with young bass,since the NSW fishing Licence started.