Lake lyell

daniel944

Spent the night of the 1st at Lake lyell with the wife and two kids. What an awesome, family friendly place!  Fishing was a bit slow but we still managed to pickup a fat bow and a redfin the first day and a brown on the second day.

I've been doing some reading about nsw fish stocking and I can only find reference to bass been stocked into lyell, not trout. Has trout stocking stopped due to the redfin incursion?  Would be a great shame as it's nice to go after trout so close to home. 

IMG_20170101_164617.jpg

IMG_20170101_202024.jpg

On 04/01/2017 at 8:44 AM, Wellzy94 said:

Nice fish mate!

As far as I know, fisheries stopped stocking the lakes with trout (TCD, Wallace, Lyell). It's pretty unfortunate.

Mate the local acclimatisation society still receive allocations of trout and still do stock the rivers and lakes in the Lithgow/Central west region. If you check the DPI site you will see they have Ben recently stocked. TCD has no spawning stream entering it, even though they attempt to spawn how successful they are is up for a lot of speculation! Hence it's stocked and classed a trophy dam due to the phenomenal growth rate and size of the fish. 

15 hours ago, luderick -angler said:

Mate the local acclimatisation society still receive allocations of trout and still do stock the rivers and lakes in the Lithgow/Central west region. If you check the DPI site you will see they have Ben recently stocked. TCD has no spawning stream entering it, even though they attempt to spawn how successful they are is up for a lot of speculation! Hence it's stocked and classed a trophy dam due to the phenomenal growth rate and size of the fish. 

Well I stand corrected! Great to know they keep the area stocked.