Installing new LED lights on trailer

Mutt

Happy New Year!

So with a friend I totally revamped my trailer just before Christmas (repairs/rewelding/replace) - very happy with the work except we are both novices at anything electrical. I'd like to replace the lights with LED lights and to be honest am totally confused with what to buy / do /  etc.

We did position the lights higher as the number plate kept scraping.

I have attached a photo of the old lights and wiring and looking on eBay etc have seen lights range from about $20 to $200+. I have also attached a picture of one of the 'thousands' of lights I thought would be ok from eBay.

Went to a local trailer factor today who quoted $250 to install and supply new lights.

My questions are:

1. What lights do I buy??? What are the main differences?? Do I get 12v etc?

2. Are they easy for a novice to replace?

3. Is it easier to just pay and get it done???

Any thoughts/advice greatly appreciated!

Mutt

IMG_7447.JPG

IMG_7448.JPG

IMG_7450.PNG

33 minutes ago, Mutt said:

Happy New Year!

So with a friend I totally revamped my trailer just before Christmas (repairs/rewelding/replace) - very happy with the work except we are both novices at anything electrical. I'd like to replace the lights with LED lights and to be honest am totally confused with what to buy / do /  etc.

We did position the lights higher as the number plate kept scraping.

I have attached a photo of the old lights and wiring and looking on eBay etc have seen lights range from about $20 to $200+. I have also attached a picture of one of the 'thousands' of lights I thought would be ok from eBay.

Went to a local trailer factor today who quoted $250 to install and supply new lights.

My questions are:

1. What lights do I buy??? What are the main differences?? Do I get 12v etc?

2. Are they easy for a novice to replace?

3. Is it easier to just pay and get it done???

Any thoughts/advice greatly appreciated!

Mutt

IMG_7447.JPG

IMG_7448.JPG

IMG_7450.PNG

What's wrong with your current lights?

If your worried about the cost etc,it's a heck of a lot easier and cheaper to replace an incandescent bulb than replace a whole led light assembly.

As for your questions,yes you need to ensure they're 12v.

How easy they are to fit will depend on your skill set but basically it's unscrew the old,feed some wiring etc.

And if you have money to burn it's always easier to get someone else to do it.

But in my opinion I would recommended you give it a go both to learn a new skill and to save a heap of coin.

What you decide to buy is entirely up to you.

I have the same lights as your old ones pictured and I have sikaflexed the rear plug and I solder the bulbs to the bulb holders and been on my trailer for nearly six years and the only failure I had was one of the end caps on a bulb needed replacing.

Like I said it's up to you and if you need advice on installation just ask on here.

Cheers.

I did this a few weeks ago (replaced a led set).

You can get led lights with a short bit of wire, that you need to join to the cable and then plug, or some come with 8 metres of cable as part of the sealed unit. I recommend the later, as you don't have to do any joining and it's totally sealed/water proof all the way from the lights to the plug. You simple join the two cables at the plug.

narva sells these for $100ish, there's cheaper brands on eBay but I don't know the brands well enough to recommend a cheaper one.

I agree with raging. If you are a bit handy and can work with wires by following simple instructions in the packet, the prewired ones are the way to go.

You can buy these larger units

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TRAILER-LED-TAIL-STOP-LIGHTS-LAMPS-INDICATORS-SUBMERSABLE-WIRING-KIT-150BTK8F-/301952833054?hash=item464dca961e:g:tTMAAOSwo4pYanFw

Or these smaller units....depending if you have a larger or smaller trailer/boat.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LED-Trailer-Tail-Lights-Kit-Stop-Tail-Indicator-12V-ADR-Approved-Submersible-/181565777347?hash=item2a4629e5c3:g:4rQAAOSwibJTyJss

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dave 

Thank you so much for your advice - looks like the pre wired lights are the way to go and a cheaper option than getting it done by an auto Electrican.

Fab1 one of the lights is not working (have replaced bulb etc) and feel there may be corrosion or wiring issues - which is why I was looking at putting in LED lights. I really appreciate your comments and advice!

Dave and Raging- thanks, looks like that will be the best option and sounds like a novice like me can do it!

Cheers and tight lines!

Mutt. Send me your address and contact number and I may be able to come and assist you with the fitting up of lights once you have purchased them. Also to prevent the number plate from scraping and wearing out put it on a hinged plate and when it contacts the ground or speed bumps etc it will swing up and not cause any damage to the plate.

Frank

1 hour ago, Mutt said:

Fab1 one of the lights is not working (have replaced bulb etc) and feel there may be corrosion or wiring issues - which is why I was looking at putting in LED lights. I really appreciate your comments and advice!

The weak point on the lights you have is the contact plate on the back of them allows water ingress inside and you'll find the contacts covered in green corrosion.

The easy fix is remove that Central Phillips screw and pull the contact plate off then clean up the contacts with solvent,wire brush and sandpaper etc.

screw plate back on and cover the outside in sikaflex  and mount the lights back on.

With the bulbs I solder mine on to the contacts and they don't move.

In the event of a blown bulb on the road I carry a propane cigarette lighter to unsolder and solder a new bulb which is yet to occur.

The problem with Leds is when and if a failure occurs (They can and do fail)you can kiss the light assembly good buy and need to replace with a new light assembly but usually they do last a long time.

Good luck with your installation and enjoy your new lights if you go that route.

Cheers.

I fitted mine a few months ago

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/371051-TROJAN-SUBMERSIBLE-LED-LIGHTS-9M-CABLE-BOAT-TRAILER-PREWIRED-REAR-TAIL-/171478915649?hash=item27ecf09a41:g:2K8AAOSw7NNUKI7N

$100 so cheap.

When slotting the new light cable in, tie or duct tape the new cable to the old cable, and pull it through.

The only part you need to figure out is the wiring of the socket. Mine is a 7 pin socket, pretty easy to wire up.

I didn't use all the sockets, from memory I think I left 1 or 2 unused.

Trailer Wiring1.jpg

Thanks so much for your advice, this is simply the best website and I really appreciate everyone's advice and comments. As I'm going away soon I wanted to get them done asap, took the advice and called in a favour with a mate and all done! 

Tight lines!

IMG_7458.JPG