Spool lip

savit

Hi All

Any suggestions how to remove those small scratches/scuffs on the spin reel spool lip to improve the casting distance?

I presume I can use sandpaper, just not sure which size would be safe.

Thanks.

If you really want to attack your reel I'd be using 2000 grade wet/dry, used wet. An alternative would be to use a Dremel and polishing paste.

Your spool will usually be aluminium and wont take to harsh abrasives. You could also try wet steel wool.

What ever you use will remove any anodising on the spool.

If the nics and scratches are bad enough to have a serious effect on casting casting distance you may be better off to get a new spool.

Edited by Crossfire63

3 minutes ago, Crossfire63 said:

If you really want to attack your reel I'd be using 2000 grade wet/dry, used wet. An alternative would be to use a Dremel and polishing paste.

Your spool will usually be aluminium and wont take to harsh abrasives. You could also try wet steel wool.

What ever you use will remove any anodising on the spool.

If the nics and scratches are bad enough to have a serious effect on casting casting distance you may be better off to get a new spool.

Thanks Crossfire63.

Yes, the spools are aluminium or some alloys.

Those nics/scratches do impact casting distance, particularly for braids and light weight lures or baits. 

I fish usually at night, so scratches on a new spool/reels is just a matter of time.

Would it be possible to fill those spool lip scratches with something instead ?

I used wet & dry on one of my aluminium spools after it had a fight with a breakwall and it worked fine. Doesnt look new but is smooth and functional. Casts fine and no damage to braid. 

That was on an 8000 spool so 30lb and 50lb line will be less effected than what 4lb or 6lb may be. It would also depend how deep your scratches are obviously.

Just had a proper look at spool again. It's 2500 size spool and 12 or 15lb braid.The reel obviously landed somewhere on rocks. The spool is actually covered with thick paint and those scratches are down through paint and metal. I do not have a dremel and manual work to remove the paint and properly polish the metal may take a while. So, at the moment I just pressed down that bumps and holes  area with stiffer metal. Now it feels smoother, however something still can be felt under the finger. Will check how it casts on the weekend. 

1 hour ago, rickmarlin62 said:

what type of reel is it make..model..i have heaps of spools I may have one that fits..rick

Thank you, Rick. As a typical fisho, I have a few spare reels up my sleeve. I will remind you about your offer when I am ran out of them :D

I just do not like to throw the things away while they still work or can be fixed, and enjoy DIY in fishing.

Just for information -  it is $12 2500 5+1 bearing JW clearance reel from Kmart which helped me to land from whitings and flatheads to rays and even a small shark in my land-based fishing adventures and still going strong :1punk:since 2012 with regular cleaning and oiling. So, if someone says you have to spend hundreds to catch a fish from the shore or to enjoy fishing..... :1onono: