Surface Luring Woy Woy

jdanger

Hi all,

Managed to get Tuesday off work to fish Woy Woy with a mate. The plan was to try our recently purchased Sugapens on whiting. Until now I'd had very little luck with my surface luring attempts. I've had follows, misses, hookups and a few dropped fish but I can't recall ever really ticking the box properly.

We hit the flats at the top of the tide. I tied on a shallow Fat Dog and Nick had his trusty Towadi, prospecting the surface. It wasn't long before I'd dropped a solid bream and Nick drew fish blood with a snook of all things. 

We were surprised initially, but the snook proved to be the order of the day. We had a number of bream, flathead, tarwhine and juvenile reddies fall prey to our plastics and hardbodies, but the only players in the surface division were the masses of angry, hungry snook who proved to be very obliging targets. They weren't fussy about the retrieve, sometimes hitting it during a rip and other times on the pause. Once decided they like the look of the lure, there was no stopping them.

The Sugapen thankfully lived up to its hype, with fish taking a swipe on the first cast and hooking up shortly after. All up we would've landed over a dozen snook each, the smallest going 30-35cm. I wouldn't call them hard fighting for their size, but the visual aspect was awesome fun.

Fish of the day was the snook which took us by surprise, falling victim to the Sugapen 7F like his smaller friends. This thing cleared the water on its first swipe, missing the lure twice more before finally nailing it on the pause.

Flattie.pngDSC_0359.JPG

Edited by jdanger
Wrong id

On ‎19‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 4:08 PM, Novicefisherman said:

Never caught a snook before. Look similar to a stinky pike. Are they good for bait as well?

Cool video too. Keep up the good work.

Same Novice, thought it was a pike as well.

Mark.

• 9 months later...