UPDATE

big Neil

UPDATE: Went out last Tuesday and got 11 Cod and a Trout Cod, then on Thursday managed a further 11 Cod and 1 Carp. However these were not as big as the ones on Tuesday.

This morning I went out at first light. The sun was rising in the east as the moon was slowly setting in the west. The river was running quite fast with some 11000 megalitres released at the upstream weir. This amount of water can drop the water temp and subsequently the fish can shut down completely.

I launched right on first light and set off slowly trying to find some fish on the sounder. The temp was 23.7 whereas it had been 25 on Thursday. Surprisingly there weren’t any, where I expected them to be. Found a couple in a deep hole next to a log and tied up to the bank. 15 minutes later and they weren’t playing ball so I decided on a move way upstream. It was quite cool as I headed off to another spot where I’ve caught lots of fish before.

I cruised along the edge of the current looking for the fish on the sounder. They were right where I thought they’d be so I tied up to a big tree root which was adjacent to the bank. This was a good spot as the current below the bend had created a backwater and small whirlpools came and went in the blink of an eye. I cast both baits into the current and they settled right on the edge of the fast water. Cod are lazy fish and won’t waste energy swimming in fast water so I knew the baits were in the right place. The moon was gradually lowering in the sky as a Kingfisher whizzed by and landed on some tree roots nearby. I tried to get the camera out but he disappeared before I could get a photo. I settled down to wait and there was a small tap on one of the rods. “come on, take it” I said to myself. A couple more taps and whack, the rod tip bends sharply towards the water. I strike and feel weight. He takes off for the snags and I put the pressure on. After a brief tussle in comes a very healthy 54 cm Cod. He was released to sulk and wonder what had happened when he grabbed the piece of cheese.

I re baited and cast in, a bit further out into the fast flowing water and settled down to await the outcome. The rod tip lunged downwards and took me completely by surprise. Nice bite I thought as I struck and felt weight. “Ooh, better fish this time” I mused as the fish swam hard, first one way, then the other. I brought it up to mid water before it lunged and I held on letting the drag do its thing. “Big Carp” I thought as I gained the upper hand and brought it to the surface. Glad to see a huge mouth and the white flashes of a nice Cod. Got it in the landing net and it was 69cm with a wide beam and deep girth. A quick picture and it was released to grow even bigger.

So 2 bites for 2 fish and I had to head back home as I had things to do. Cheers, BN

The moon going down...

IMG_6239resize.jpg

69cm Murray Cod

IMG_6242resize.jpg

Cockatoos

IMG_6246resize.jpg

Tying up to tree roots

IMG_6241resize.jpg

A nice snag

IMG_6237resize.jpg

Nice! Sounds like your really getting into them now. Good pics, laughed about the Kingfisher,you commented on my wifes photo of one at Kangaroo valley, she must have chased that thing for 2kms down the river.

On 1/16/2017 at 7:33 PM, swano said:

Nice! Sounds like your really getting into them now. Good pics, laughed about the Kingfisher,you commented on my wifes photo of one at Kangaroo valley, she must have chased that thing for 2kms down the river.

Yep they don't keep still for long do they? BN

On 1/16/2017 at 1:10 PM, savit said:

Nice Murray cod, Neil. Should go into the catch of the month post. What rig did you use to catch it?

Very simple rig Savit. 20 lb mono line, size 2 bean sinker (vary as per current), sinker running down to a 3/0 hook. Cube of colby or mozarella cheese...WALLA. BN

On 1/16/2017 at 2:57 PM, rickmarlin62 said:

your makin me jealous neil..I cant get away for a couple of weeks..keep up the good work.rick

Patience is a virtue, seldom found in men...and never found in women. LOL Only kidding everyone, settle down again. Look out fish when you do get there Rick, eh? BN