Port Kembla Tinny fishing ?

Kaneo

Hey Raiders,

Has anyone been out fishing in a tinny anywhere in this photo below inside of the break walls not outside as it would be to rough for a small boat and dangerous ? If so where abouts would be a good spot & how deep is the water there , too deep to anchor or will be fine within the break walls. 

Cheers kaneo 

IMG_0541.PNG

6 minutes ago, Kaneo said:

Hey Raiders,

Has anyone been out fishing in a tinny anywhere in this photo below inside of the break walls not outside as it would be to rough for a small boat and dangerous ? If so where abouts would be a good spot & how deep is the water there , too deep to anchor or will be fine within the break walls. 

Cheers kaneo 

IMG_0541.PNG

How big is the tinny mate?

1 minute ago, Kaneo said:

Only a small 310 dart with an 8Hp, I think 10ft. Not sure if the boats even suitable to take there thought I'd get some info before even thinking about taking it out :)  

@Big Yella

IMG_0417.PNG

That's perfect for lake illawarra and the minamurra river.

Just now, Kaneo said:

Only a small 310 dart with an 8Hp, I think 10ft. Not sure if the boats even suitable to take there thought I'd get some info before even thinking about taking it out :)  

@Big Yella

IMG_0417.PNG

Mate, if you got a really nice flat calm day, you could take it out of the break walls no problems at all. I fished out of a 13ft 35 year old Quintrex about 3km out from those break walls and cleaned up. Inside the harbour is very calm. Along the eastern break wall it averages about 12m deep and can hold some decent fish 

2 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

That's perfect for lake illawarra and the minamurra river.

I went to minamurra on Saturday morning was in the water about 7:30am we had 4 types of bait and no luck. Few small nibbles and a couple hits nothing landed... 

so we then decided to take the boat to launch at Berkeley and head to lake Illawarra & fished there with two undersized flatties and an undersized brim or tarwhine. Water got really choppy heading back and was quiet scary, made my voice change when I spoke of how nervous I was HAHAHAHA ! Got back safe :) 

4 minutes ago, Big Yella said:

Mate, if you got a really nice flat calm day, you could take it out of the break walls no problems at all. I fished out of a 13ft 35 year old Quintrex about 3km out from those break walls and cleaned up. Inside the harbour is very calm. Along the eastern break wall it averages about 12m deep and can hold some decent fish 

Yeah I see a lot of people fishing off the break walls at the end where the opening is for salmon and king fish , I've had no luck there myself but only been there few times. So I thought I might take the boat out there on a nice day and see how I go !

2 minutes ago, Kaneo said:

Yeah I see a lot of people fishing off the break walls at the end where the opening is for salmon and king fish , I've had no luck there myself but only been there few times. So I thought I might take the boat out there on a nice day and see how I go !

Good luck mate, let me know how you go

4 minutes ago, Big Yella said:

Good luck mate, let me know how you go

Hi Kaneo,fish just outside the boat ramp break wall opening about 200mts up along the main wall should get you bream,trevally,flathead and tailor although fishes best afternoon into night or early morning.It produces 3 out off 5 times for me. 

^^ as above, you're biggest issue in the port will be the authorities and pilot boat wake. I kayak fish there no issues, but i don't know how a tinnie would take the wake. If you go out of just be wary of the pilot boat and their requests as they'll get short with you, especially if you're running 8hp. You can fish the inside of the south wall for kings and hide from the ocean swell. Stay safe and learn the boats capabilities elsewhere first maybe? I'd think your biggest issue would be you're 8hp, but im no boatie :)

Thanks everyone for the help and information on my post ! Yeah I might just learn a bit more with my boat and fish other areas before heading out that way just when I get more boat knowledge and water knowledge I might give it a go then :) cheers kaneo

Also @krause I have a fishing kayak just the normal one and I haven't caught anything big on it yet & I would like to if you have any tips or areas you go or in need of some company , inbox me mate cheers !

7 minutes ago, krause said:

Im always heading down to kembla for a fish, ill send you a pm before my next one, maybe thursday. 

Okay awesome , I work during the week but depends if I'm busy in afternoons if I'll come or not but let me know anyway :)