Dollies Still NO SHOW at the FADS

Aqua Naut

Headed out early and all quiet regarding Dolphins Fish only 1 or 2 strays around of just legal around the 65cm mark. Heap of Rat Kings running around chasing baits.

Looks like a late season this year and warm water only now starting to show up around Sydney. 23.6oC BB wide.

Yep seems to be the way doesn't it. My charter running mates are saying there's a few small dollys getting around but no schools to write home about and like you said loads of rats, few more 10kg+ out around the 30km offshore mark. (Don't shoot the messenger only passing on info!)

The Dollies are there, I  think there a little timid this year. In the past ive noticed when Mr Inconsiderate motors right through a school and pushes them down they were usually back on the bite within a half hour or so. This year I've had Mr Inconsiderate visit a couple of times and the Dollies scatter and don't return. Use a bit of stealth, there around. The biggest I've seen captured  this year are cruising deeper and further out from the FADs.

46 minutes ago, Raymondo said:

The Dollies are there, I  think there a little timid this year. In the past ive noticed when Mr Inconsiderate motors right through a school and pushes them down they were usually back on the bite within a half hour or so. This year I've had Mr Inconsiderate visit a couple of times and the Dollies scatter and don't return. Use a bit of stealth, there around. The biggest I've seen captured  this year are cruising deeper and further out from the FADs.

Thanks for the reply.

That's interesting information. I mostly get out to the FADs mid week when there is no one else around and I must admit,  if I don't find them close to the fads I don't try any further afield.

Cheers

Jim

As ive said elsewhere the closer in FADS are generally a waste of time- the dollies tend to be small and are easily put off the bite by the large amount of traffic they get. Punch out a bit wider and find some of the fishtrap fields on reef or go for an explore and see if you can find someones private FAD. The bigger fish can be anywhere up to a KM away from the FAD

1 hour ago, PaddyT said:

As ive said elsewhere the closer in FADS are generally a waste of time- the dollies tend to be small and are easily put off the bite by the large amount of traffic they get. Punch out a bit wider and find some of the fishtrap fields on reef or go for an explore and see if you can find someones private FAD. The bigger fish can be anywhere up to a KM away from the FAD

Thanks Paddy

I've had a lot of good days on quality dollies around the FADS but I am certainly keen to try anything new.

Cheers

Jim

3 hours ago, Raymondo said:

I think the DPI FADs do a better job attracting boats than fish :P. Unfortunately for the majority the FADs are at the offshore limit and can't venture further afield. If only we lived further north. 

Further North... ditto to that!