• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest fishrunner

Yeah,

read about that in the herald when I was up there last weekend,

Pretty full-on :1fishing1: , Apparently half the time the baits go off before their even back on shore :tease: .

I imagine the sharks swimming behind their boards patiently waiting for the bait to be dropped :074: .

they sound organised though. Stubbie holder in the chair - that's fishin, Wonder if they'll top 9ft .

cheers

Typical red neck stuff, I only hope a shark doesn't see all idiot boardies as bait, this technique can "teach" pointers to hit surfers.

And I guess it was in the name of good fun? :thumbdown:

I was thinking the same thing Haraka, I know the sharks are there but it's encouraging them into the surfing/swimming areas and that can't be a good thing for the swimmers or the sharks.

Rob and Haraka, did you read the whole article? The said allot of the reason for them doing this was to help fisheries learn more about the GWS, the sharks are taking half a salmon not surfers, when was the last attack your heard of up newy way? They tag the sharks, the sharks move on in the warmer months as well. The sharks were there before these fellas started fishing for them, hardly rednecks wouldnt you say???

I heard about this throught the grapevine 3-4 weeks ago. I thought they must be asking for trouble and I typically assumed that it would have been the "redneck" element playing a very dangerous game with a very intelligant animal :1badmood:

As long as they have the approval of the fisheries then its ok to target them for research matters :thumbup:

Stockton at this time of year has always been a white haven due to the long extensive nature of the beach, when at this time of year holds heaps of salmon, tailor, jew and mullet. Many of the whites follow the salmon schools up from down south and i believe other whites join in the pack along the migration route.

Would you be suprised if I said some of the biggest tiger sharks you will ever see patrol this beach on a regular basis :1yikes: cause they do.

This is why i stay on the beach or in a boat most of the time :biggrin2:

Cheers

Lee

Edited by leelee

You can catch em but not keep em.

White pointers are a protected species. The law mandates heavy fines, boat confiscation, and jail sentences for anyone caught catching, killing, specifically targeting or injuring white sharks, or dealing in white shark products.

It is against the law to catch a white, no matter how its caught.

Cheers

Lee

But you can't police that. They are targetting sharks. Its not their fault if great whites happen to take the bait. Its like fishing the rivers for yellas while the cod season is on. You can't help it if you catch a cod - you were fishing for yellas - you just release it.

I agree totally Pedro 100%, but there are ways to specifically target only whites. If the fisheries caught you with a white hooked beside your boat they could easily make an example of you if they wanted to.

No doubt there will some clowns targeting them now after reading and hearing about the numbers off stockton.

Cheers

Lee

Sorry guys this is what I was trying to post up before and i beleive it to be the current ruling on great whites -

"It is illegal to catch and keep, buy, sell, possess or harm great white sharks (or any other threatened species in NSW) without a specific permit, licence or other appropriate approval, and significant penalties apply. For vulnerable species these penalties can include fines of up to $55,000 and up to 1 year in prison.

There can also be significant penalties for causing damage to the habitat of a threatened species without approval"

Cheers

Lee

They're fishing for fun, not research, I couldn't care less the sharks are already there and feeding anyway, and there'll be a cold day in hell before I paddle out on a surfboard with a bleeding half-salmon in my hand.

Edited by Hooch

They're fishing for fun, not research, I couldn't care less the sharks are already there and feeding anyway, and there'll be a cold day in hell before I paddle out on a surfboard with a bleeding half-salmon in my hand.

I bet if one of them gets taken then they will be up in arms, yelling and screaming about how all sharks close to beaches should be killed.

Cheers

Lee

I think we are missing the real point here people!!!!

Did anyone notice that there was only ONE Stubby holder fitted on that chair!!!! :074:

Personally speaking, I would have to be drunking around 4-5 beers at a time...for a considerable number of hours/days, before I decided to go for a swim with half a salmon for company!!! :wacko:

Just await the next round of "Darwin Awards" that come out, these guys gotta get a mention!!!

Sorry leelee, but thats bullst, i dont reckon there dumb asses, i reckon they know one hundred percent what they are doing, i personally surf, and i have seen sharks when out on reefs. There is no way they would be up in arms if one was taken, they know what there doing.

Hooch did you read the full article, yeah there fishing for fun, but they are helping a sh$t load towards understanging the great white by taging everyfish caught.

Sorry leelee, but thats bullst, i dont reckon there dumb asses, i reckon they know one hundred percent what they are doing, i personally surf, and i have seen sharks when out on reefs. There is no way they would be up in arms if one was taken, they know what there doing.

Hooch did you read the full article, yeah there fishing for fun, but they are helping a sh$t load towards understanging the great white by taging everyfish caught.

What I meant was the way they are going about it dangerous. They can tag them if they want but the maner in which they are going about makes them pretty stupid. If they get attacked then who's going to have to deal with the actions. not them thats for sure. There will be a shark hunt on and the media will be all over it. Surfer attacked by great white shark is what will be on the front pages of all the newspapers over the country.

Like I said if they have got approval by the fisheries to do it then fine. Now if they haven't well they are breaking the law. Plain and simple.

Cheers

Lee

Hey all, noticed that Ray Martin is running a story on A Current Affair tomorrow (Tuesday) night after the news on Nine. Looks like they have some pretty good footage too.

Should be able to judge whether they're red necks or not after the first few words :074:

Yeah mate I did, but I rekcon you've hooked yourself a red herring with this research thing, it's sportfishing and its not good for a fishes health, we all know it, we all do it, but no ones doing a protected species a great favour by skulldragging it in with a hook in its guts and whacking a tag in it. There has gotta be better ways of tagging a protected species. But of course this isn't about tagging whites.

I bet experienced fishos like these blokes don't think it is either, the journo just threw it in as a nice little feelgood. You'll also notice fisheries didn't have anything in particular to say about this, there's no study accompanying this, it's just a couple of blokes with BRASS BALLS catching some sharks some of which are great whites, well you can't help that can you, and they're associated so they do the right thing and stick a tag in em.

Sorry if I seem like I'm trying to rev you up mate, I'm not really, I just think if you take a close look at it research is a peripheral issue at best.

Guest bluecod

What with the NZ White being caught up in a net and now Dean Martin's brother Ray going to have a go with this crowd at Stockton, I reckon somewhere in next week's TV guide will be re-runs of JAWS - appropriate too with summer just around the corner :074:

What with the NZ White being caught up in a net and now Dean Martin's brother Ray going to have a go with this crowd at Stockton, I reckon somewhere in next week's TV guide will be re-runs of JAWS - appropriate too with summer just around the corner :074:

I have to agree, it seems the timing of these stories is a little dubious as well. Nothing like a little scare mongering to unsettle the summer swimmers