Shark Fishing By Surfboard

appoooh

Rob and Haraka, did you read the whole article? The said allot of the reason for them doing this was to help fisheries learn more about the GWS, the sharks are taking half a salmon not surfers, when was the last attack your heard of up newy way? They tag the sharks, the sharks move on in the warmer months as well. The sharks were there before these fellas started fishing for them, hardly rednecks wouldnt you say???

Thats a good excuse I suppose, I know the sharks were there mate but I still reckon floating hald a salmon out beyond the breakers is still going to encourage them in closer, Can't remember the last time I heard of an attack up there but then how long have blokes been flaoting half sambos of the beach. :1yikes:

Just glad my kids don't swim on those beaches

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's funny how long it takes for things to filter through.

I remember about two months ago (maybe less, give or take) on Hi-Tide, "Duffy" was talking about it and reporting on it whilst doing his weekly fishing report for the Salamander Bay area.

I wonder why it took so long to get picked up on by the mainstream media. :1prop:

cheers

Hooky

It's funny how long it takes for things to filter through.

I remember about two months ago (maybe less, give or take) on Hi-Tide, "Duffy" was talking about it and reporting on it whilst doing his weekly fishing report for the Salamander Bay area.

I wonder why it took so long to get picked up on by the mainstream media. :1prop:

cheers

Hooky

Yeah I heard that too

Guest bluecod

anyone catch the show.

Did you see the size of the school of fish that the shark was cruising through

Yep, saw most of the show - wherever you get that much feed around you will have top-order food chain guys hanging around as well - this time its the men in the grey overcoats.

There's a number of issues associated with what these guys are doing, but as remote as it may seem, its a worry that at the end of the day, these blokes might be training these sharks to associate surfboards with an easy feed.

How shallow was the water they were hooking them in :1yikes:

Landed and tagged 11 Great Whites, but not the same one twice ... along with 22 pulled hooks or bitten through the stainless trace :1yikes:

What about how this bloke discribed dropping the bait from his surfboard and hooking up ... "We have had some quick takes" :wacko::wacko::wacko:

"but we've never seen a shark while paddling out"

I would need a glass bottomed surfboard, an armour plated wetsuit and a supersize nappy ... just to watch from the beach :blush:

The salmon schools are along Stockton beach every year at around the same time following the salmon schools. Hence the shark presence. It's not the first time I've seen pictures or heard reports about it, and it probably wont be the last. For mine, if you go surfing or swimming at Stockton at that time of year then you should keep that in mind.

Having said that, with the amount of schooling fish in the water what do you think the sharks are going to be more keen on eating? When you go to a fine dining restaurant would you rather eat a rump (salmon) or a chuck steak (some bloke encased in rubber on a fibreglass ironing board)?

The area that these guys are fishing in in nowhere near where most people are fishing/surfing anyway so I don't have a problem with it. If I was to receive an invite to go and watch or take part I certainly would do so. It looks like their having a ball, and the sharks swim off in the end, much the same as most of our fish do.

I wonder if the shark nets off our beaches are selective about whether to "target" the whites?

Shane

:1fishing1:

Edited by madsmc

Well put Mads, blue cod the sharks obviously arent interested in the surfers as they havent been attacked, the sharks are there coz of the salmon, what about box head, people surf there in the right conditions, and people also fish there for makos, hammerheads etc.

I thought it was a good watch and not full of the usual ACA crap...

The whites they were catching were only small (for whites) and I really dont think they would see a person on a surfboard as a viable food source, we are just to big.

I think they mentioned it on the show that Whites at that size are still fish eaters and with that many salmon in the water that is what they are concerntrating on...... Still not sure I would go surfing there though.

Nice to see ACA do a story for once without the loaded one sided moronic spin doctoring of Munro and Co. Its a crap show, but last night was a must for fishermen and ocean lovers alike.

exactly, most of their shows are fluffed up garbage. It was great to just get a decent story

Yeah it was a great watch last night.

Good to see that there looks to be an increase in small whites around our coastlines.

After watching the show I can't help but feel that they targeting great whites and are able to get away with it cause they are tagging them. Last night it didn't seem like many details like weight estimate, size etc were being taken about the shark when it was captured so the data could be related to the tag number. This bit may have been omitted for the tv possiblly.

Either way I hope they are getting valuable data that can be used to unwrap the mysterys of the whites.

Cheers

Lee

I thought the show was great I had an interseting thought though and that is: Given the highley transint nature of the great white and the close proximity of Stockton to sydney do people think that the great whites travel with the schools and therfore arrive of Sydney at the same time as the massive schools of Salmon we had just a few Months/ weeks ago?

Good point Phil. Maybe those bust ups werent big kings after all haha, imagine that in your burely trail.

Its a nice thought isnt it? I know you get some real biteys tailing the schools but always think whalers and makos but .....!

Jethro,

Id say there might be some biguns amongst them. Did you see what one of them did to that heavy gauge steel trace?

You could be right.

I did see the steel trace, but based on my limited knowlege on the subject it didn't look that heavy by shark fishing standards. I have seen nylon coated wire shark traces around 15mm thick and it didnt look anywhere near that heavy

I don't recon the larger white sharks would bother chasing the salmon schools. You would need to eat a hell of a lot of salmon to make up even 1 seal.

(This is just my un-informed opinion :biggrin2: )

You could be right.

I did see the steel trace, but based on my limited knowlege on the subject it didn't look that heavy by shark fishing standards. I have seen nylon coated wire shark traces around 15mm thick and it didnt look anywhere near that heavy

I don't recon the larger white sharks would bother chasing the salmon schools. You would need to eat a hell of a lot of salmon to make up even 1 seal.

(This is just my un-informed opinion :biggrin2: )

I to thought the trace was a bit thin. I have a 1000lb wire trace at home and its massive compared to the ones they were using.

Not proclaiming to be an expert by any strech of the imagination but you do find that most of the whites in Australia eat fish, especially snapper and salmon. They do eat seals etc but the aust whites diet is made up more of fish unlike the dyer island whites and californian's who's main diet is seals.

I would hazard a guess ( knowing the area ) but you would find some larger whites off the back and out of sight in the deeper water. Whalers and tigers also follow the salmon schools.

Having said that I do agree with Jethro in saying a large white would rather eat a seal than salmon, but if salmon is all thats around then you just don't know. If its hungry its got to eat.

Cheers

Lee

I havent much of an idea on shark fishing, but wasnt that trace a stainless stell trace or something like that? I would imagine that to be pretty bloody strong.

Yeah it was a reasonable trace I think from the look of it possibly 250-500lb but its hard to remember the size, but then again pulling a white through breakers and he's chomping down on the trace, i would suspect even a heavy trace to be wasted in those conditions as the pressure of the waves and current and shark would enourmous.

Also have a look at this pic. Shows 2 teeth from a megolodon compared to a tooth taken from a 3m white pointer.

Cheers

Lee

post-142-1130307061_thumb.gif

Well, the minister just banned em!! He is concerned about em burleying a public beach popular with swimmers surferd etc etc etc. Gonna outlaw shark fishing from the beach! Will be interesting to see the actual wording of the ban. Wonder if those guys can then just say they are salmon fishing with game rods/reels :biggrin2: cheers Bombie

Bommie, i think the article said something about the class of reel or line, something along those lines. That will shut them out. But i still dont think its burleying the beach for attacks, but i know this is an agree to disagree argument. Anyway like Mads said, 'thats the end of that'.

I wonder if the local member for the Port Stepehens area got in Ronalds ear about how the amount of sharks bought into a well know beach area would upset the tourism indusrty in the area :1yikes:

I distictly remember a certain video been made at Tomaree head showing huge tigers and massive cobia and no one was allowed to mention where it was as it could reduce the numbers of visitors to area if they knew what lurked close by the beaches.

Looks like the boys can just slow troll salmon of the boats behind the breakers now.

Once the make new rules, smart aussies always find a loop hole or way around it :biggrin2:

Cheers

Lee

"Great white sharks are highly territorial and attracting them to that area is a danger not only to people doing the practice, but also other members of the community."

I dont know if they were attracting whites to the area. I think its more just they are catching what is there. I have not seen or read anywhere that these guys are using berley.

I think the sharks are going to be there if these guys are fishing for them or not. Its just keeps them out of the media spotlight........ Out of sight out of mind