Shark Fishing By Surfboard

appoooh

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Raiders, here are the details of the rule changes.

Note the conditions in Column 1.

* No wire traces? I use wire traces in my tailor rigs so I don't get bitten off, so this should be an interesting argument.

* No baits over 200gm. I don't have much experience with this but wouldn't a live/dead bait for a jew be pushing this weight limit?

Sounds like a poorly thought out knee jerk reaction from the minister. I don't have a problem if they want to stop people from fishing for them en masse, but I can see where the wording of the rule changes could get people into trouble.

Shane

:1fishing1:

Edited by madsmc

Thanks Shane.

Seems you are always there to apss on the relevant info when it comes to hand :thumbup:

Its a shame that the rest of the government can't pass through changes to legislation as quick as they did this :thumbdown:

Cheers

Lee

Disturbing isn't it... they seem to be able to move mountains when it suits them

As Shane said...

There goes my chance of getting a big jew from one of the many holes along Stockton.

I am still trying to figure out he got his bull-bar past rego :074:

On a funny side to that story, the accountant from work comes to me yesterday (used to be a big game fisher, fished aboard Born Free out of PS for a few years) and sais... "they are all my rods and reels"... Turns out that a few months back he sold all of his game gear and those are the guys who bought it all...

LW

......So its only until the end of the year.........Dec 31 2005...thats what it says, I guess they hope it will go away by itself

That's correct Clutch.

My main concern with it is that it is worded as "all species of fish" rather than "Great White" or "any Shark species".

There is quite a bit of room for "interpretation" from fisheries on two of the items in column one.

Someone spinning the Stockton Breakwall for tailor using a wire trace could get fined under point A of the ruling. Another person fishing for jew could get fined under point C because their bait weighs more than 200gms.

My point is, why should the rest of us suffer? Why not just make a ruling to target the people in question rather than beating around the bush by saying "all species".

My comments could just be a storm in a tea cup, and the above scenario's won't be targeted but who wants to cop a fine just because someone else has seemingly done the wrong thing? I think the whole thing has been rushed by the minister and as a consequence it is poorly worded.

Shane

who wants to cop a fine just because someone else has seemingly done the wrong thing? I think the whole thing has been rushed by the minister and as a consequence it is poorly worded.

Shane

Shane , I agree with you 100% however I dont reckon they're actually gonna stop people from doing what they've been doin......I reckon they just wanna stop these "Cowboys"

Shane , I agree with you 100% however I dont reckon they're actually gonna stop people from doing what they've been doin......I reckon they just wanna stop these "Cowboys"

No worries Clutch. I don't think they're going to stop though. They'll just wait out the two months, or leave it until the cycle begins again next season.

EDIT: Sent an email to fisheries to ask for clarification. Should be interesting to see if I get a response, and what that response will be. I will post if I hear back from them.

Shane

Edited by madsmc

Thanks for the head up Shane.

Not much clarification needed if you fish a bait more than 200gm or a hook larger than 8\0 on stocko its a fine up to $22 000 for ya.

Is it stupidity, or some kind of mental depravity? I don't know. Get the lead out fellahs!

The Hon. Ian Macdonald MLC

Phone: (02) 9228 3344

Fax: (02) 9228 3452

Email: macdonald.office@macdonald.minister.nsw.gov.au

The more letters (angry and illegible or thoughtful and well constructed, however you feel) the honourable twit gets the better.

Edited by Hooch

My understanding was that you can not use a bait over 200g, with a wire trace on heavy gear (not sure what they mean by heavy gear???)

Either one by itself is fine (e.g. Bait over 200g with no wire is ok).

Thats just my interpretation :1prop:

My understanding was that you can not use a bait over 200g, with a wire trace on heavy gear (not sure what they mean by heavy gear???)

Either one by itself is fine (e.g. Bait over 200g with no wire is ok).

Thats just my interpretation :1prop:

That's what I'm hoping is the case as well Jethro.

If you look at the items in the first column though, it specifies wire OR hook size OR bait weight. The OR bit is what worries me.

The improper use of OR instead of AND is not something I would care to debate with a judge while facing a massive fine and/or possible jail term.

Shane

Edited by madsmc

• 2 weeks later...

OK, this has taken a bit longer than I would have liked, but I have received a response from DPI regarding the rule changes that were linked to earlier in the thread.

Firstly, my email to Fisheries:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>>> Shane Carroll <******@gmail.com> 10/27/05 02:36pm >>>

I would like to clarify a few points made in the announcement by the

Minister regarding closure of fishing from Stockton to the Big Gibber at

Hawks Nest outlined here:

Can you confirm whether under the change to the ruling I would be in breach

in the following circumstances:

1) Using a small wire trace while lure fishing for pelagic species such as

Tailor, that have sharp teeth.

2) Using a live or dead bait of more than 200gm (ie: large yellowtail or

slab of tailor) when targetting jewfish (Mulloway) from Stockton beach or

Breakwall.

I understand that the changes have been made in response to certain

individuals "targetting" a threatened shark species, but the wording of the

changes

seems to leave a rather large area for "interpretation".

I look forward to your response.

Shane Carroll.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And their belated response:

From: Information-Advisory <Information-Advisory@dpi.nsw.gov.au >

Date: Nov 11, 2005 5:00 PM

Subject: RE: s.8 Notification - Fishing Closure

To: ******@gmail.com

Hi Shane,

Yes in both occasions.

The use of fishing lines (whether used with a fishing rod or otherwise) with:

1) Wire trace or line consisting of wire, or

2) Any single hook larger than size 8/0 attached, or ganged or treble hooks larger than 6/0 attached, or

3) A single bait or combination of baits exceeding 200 grams in total.

For further enquires call the Information Advisory line on 1300 550 474.

Thank you for your enquiry.

As I feared, it looks like it is open to "interpretation", and I would be in breach of the new rules in the two scenarios I have outlined. :thumbdown:

Shane

Edited by madsmc

Not a good result !

My opinion is that if you do as stated at a certain point of year than you could be up for a fine. But i would doubt that any respectable fishing inspector would book you if you where honeslty fishing for Tailor off stockton beach (ie gang hooked pilchard and wire trace with a 12 foot beach rod and an Alvey).

Would i be willing to "test" the laws... maybe not.

Either way it is a joke of a law, and Ronald McDonald should be ashamed of the knee jerk decision.

LW

Guest lbgking

You wont catch me dressing up as a seal and getting in with those bloody things. :1onono:

The only white pointers I am interested are attached to backpackers on Bondi beach. :1naughty: