Dubbo Monday 16th Jan

Rainstick

Dubbo hasn't fished this well in a long time, a lot of fish in the 45cm-55cm bracket with a few bigger ones tossed in, bait is the go atm 

i caught that one walking distance from the zoo also, lol

Edited by Rainstick

Great fish Rainstick. Do you think the floods of last year have helped making it a good season? The fish are certainly in good condition everywhere and haven't been starving for a long time. How much does the flow of the water change on the Macquarie on a day to day basis and are there any weirs? Or does the river just carry its precious liquid load out to the farmlands further west? 

The Murrumbidgee where I live has numerous weirs and the water can vary from a mere trickle to a raging torrent in a short space of time...making it a bit hard to pick an ideal time when the fish may be active. Keep the reports coming, always interesting reading the exploits of others chasing the Cod. Cheers, BN

Neil I think the flood last year has done wonders for the Macquarie river, we were in flood for about three months, I heard that we would of had the best breeding season for cod and yellas in years but we have a problem atm. They were releasing water out of burrendong for the spillway all spring which is great with ideal water temperature, but about the first week of December they have starting releasing water from the bottom of the dam till now and it has dropped the temp of the water by maybe 10degrees or more, some people are saying that it will kill most of the baby cod and yellas the cold water pollution, I pray they are wrong.

the river is still up by about a couple of foot and has been for months now, our flow is pretty consistent,it may change just a little week by week

Gee hope not, especially after the ideal breeding conditions which the floods brought about. It's a nightmare for State Water trying to get the balance right to suit every circumstance, I'm sure they utilise their vast information bank when managing the movement of the water from one place to another. Trying to balance farming demand with environmental considerations... and these often working against each other, can't work every time, that's for sure. Do you do any lure and spinner bait fishing in your area? BN