Sea Anchors

cos

I'm looking at buying a sea anchor and trying to choose between the funnel shape or parachute type. I'm leaning towards the funnel shape (approx. $200 cheaper). Does anyone use them and do they work or does the old adage ring true 'You get what you pay for'

There a great tool to have on the boat. Useless if not used properly. Some are used to slow you down, others to help you steer the vessel and some are designed to do both. Heaps of info, reviews etc on the web. In my experience get the next size up that is recommended for your vessel, this is one instance where size matters. As for price, I think design is more important. 

I have two a large parachute type one that's probably over 30 years old and a smaller funnel shaped one made out of tarp material or similar.

I much prefer the parachute material it rolls up into something around the size of your fist and really slows the drift.  

I am considering getting a smaller parachute one to replace the funnel one. 

You are welcome to borrow mine if you like to try them. 

2 minutes ago, Welster said:

I have two a large parachute type one that's probably over 30 years old and a smaller funnel shaped one made out of tarp material or similar.

I much prefer the parachute material it rolls up into something around the size of your fist and really slows the drift.  

I am considering getting a smaller parachute one to replace the funnel one. 

You are welcome to borrow mine if you like to try them. 

Thanks for the offer it's really kind. I've seen the funnel ones for sale around the $30 mark so they're not very expensive. 

I guess my question is do the funnel ones actually make a difference to your drift speed or should I just bite the bullet and by a parachute 

9 hours ago, cos said:

Thanks for the offer it's really kind. I've seen the funnel ones for sale around the $30 mark so they're not very expensive. 

I guess my question is do the funnel ones actually make a difference to your drift speed or should I just bite the bullet and by a parachute 

I have one of those $30 ones.

It only slows my drift about 1km/h .

(I have a 6m fibreglass boat)

I think you are talking about a drogue, not an anchor

If you want to be stopped then a sea anchor is what you use, if it is to slow down your

drift then use a drogue. If you want to go slower, use two drogues ;-)

I bought one of the $30 and its ok. I use it when I'm outside bottom bashing for flathead

if i'm drifting too fast. Reasonably easy to retrieve and store too.

You need a bit of line out and its length changes, depending on the wave/swell period

5 metre FG boat for me.

39 minutes ago, Ric001 said:

The size recommended for you boat and placement plays a large factor in effectiveness. If not used correctly you can easily get into strife. 

When I used a mates I had it placed directly behind the motor. Is that correct. Is there anything else I should be aware of?

I had no idea the parachute material ones were expensive.   It has been in our boat since I was a kid and I'm 45 now. 

It would be over 1m when opened up.   The other funnel type one maybe 40cm.  It   will help if I was you I'd probably just get a bigger size.

1 hour ago, cos said:

When I used a mates I had it placed directly behind the motor. Is that correct. Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Hi cos. 

There is no set formula as to where to secure it to you boat. Wind, waves and current all play a factor as well as how your boat is set up. If you have Bimini at the back you may want the drogue up front in some situations but down the back once the wind changes in afternoon. The important part is that it can be an important piece of kit to prevent drift if motor has issues. 

Best advice is to try it In different locations on your boat one day to learn the effects it can have on handling and drift.

its like lifejacket, jump overboard one day with it on to see how you get back on board (calm conditions with a mate in the boat).

Cheers 

Ric  

we use a funnel shape drogue for flattie spinning when it gets too windy..attached to the bow it slows our drift and lets us fish out the back of the boat towards the direction we are drifting..if hanging off the transom you are trying to fish in front of the boat...same for snapper on sps..our drogue opens up to about 1.5 mtr and slows a 6mtr Bahia mar very well..rick

Just watch tying it off the back when you are in big swell, 

Its designed to slow you down and if a big wave comes up, your 

boat might not be able to lift up to get out of the wavy and you can get swamped

from behind.. Its safest, to go off the front. Just something to be aware of I guess.

good luck!

Thanks for all the advice guys..I'mglad I asked.

Final question. When tying off the bow how much rope do you let out and os the aim to have the boat at 45 degrees to the drift or do you have the drogue under the boat?

I recently upgraded to a Parachute called THE HANDBRAKE. Excellent. Made of light weight material, has a float and a draw rope to collapse easily. Was expensive but well worth it. 

I often tie it off from the side of the boat as depending on the current and wind direction this helps slow us down even more as provides more resistance. Otherwise I tie it off the Transom. I have a high Transom so don't worry about getting swamped. 

These Hand Brakes are excellent. 

The low cost funnel style ones are no where near as good as a proper parachute drogue. 

I have a cheaper funnel shaped one. We fish in a 4.7m (about 15 foot) FG half cab and I bought one for a 23 foot boat. It slows me down much more than my old one that was the recommended size for my boat. I use it for any type of drifting where i am wind affected. I have about 1.5 to 2m of rope from the drogue attachment point to a stainless steel swivel. To the top side of the swivel i have the middle of a doubled over rope looped on. Sliding on this between the swivel and a choke (stainless steel ring that has the double rope fed through twice like a cats paw) i have a foam ball of the size you would have on a crab trap (grapefruit size). The float stops the drogue/swivel sinking to the bottom when the wind stops or if the drift goes funny and rope goes slack. From the choke the two ends of the rope run about 10m long and each have a loop to put over the cleat.

The double rope allows for a bridle setup, which gives more control over stability and drift angle/steering etc. The length of each rope can be changed by either sliding the choke or by tying each end of the rope a different length to each corner cleat or to a different part of the boat to modify drift angle. One or both ropes can also be tied of the front anchor bollard if that direction is preferred. 

I haven't used a parachute style one but have been interested. My stiching has stared to fray a bit where the webbing is attached to the funnel/tarp material, It is about 2-3 years old.

I use the funnel style on a 5.5m glass boat for drift fishing. The amount they slow you is definitely worth their $30'odd dollar cost in my opinion.

I usually deploy it from one corner of the transom.You can try different positions to best suit your fishing style, rod holder position,  drift, tide and wind conditions. If they are opposing it can be trial and error. In a centre console in fine conditions deploying out the side is also an option.

Some comments :

Get at least one size bigger than recommend.

The $30 ones aren't really strong enough for emergency rough weather or storm use. But great for fishing.

Some suggest running a second recovery rope to the smaller end, so you can more easily pull them in backwards. I find this is more trouble than it's worth and just pull it in slowly with the main single rope. 

Suggets starting off with a 8-10m rope. In calm to moderate conditions I'll often only deploy 3-4m of rope which seems sufficient to slow my drift whilst not getting in the way of my fishing lines. Technically a longer rope is more effective.

Personally I recommend the Burke Easy Stow Sea Anchors. They come with their own fabric carry bag that is attached to the narrow end of the funnel. I've found that in the $30'odd dollar range this model works best as the small carry bag fills with water it helps hold the main funnel under water. In light wind or current conditions the small bag offers a little bit of extra drag that helps keep the main funnel aligned in the right direction and prevents it sitting on the surface, which may cause the funnel mouth to close. This style Burke unit is available from the main chandlers.

That's my 10 cents.

cheers

Rod.

Once again thanks for the info.

I'm going to give the funnel one a go. Sounds like all things fishing trial and error  (hopefully not too much error) is the way to go. 

Thanks

Costa