Best snapper

Martyy

Thanks everyone, that head skull ornament idea is great, pity I threw the head n frame back in the drink!!! Doubt I'll ever get one that big again. What's the best way to clean the skull ?  Ants ?

8 hours ago, JonD said:

Fantastic fish, that head would make a great scull bone ornemeant.

Jon

071216_GP_9851_zpsjah9upkc.jpg

011116_GP_8825_zpsvcuuhmkj.jpg

011016_GP_7801_1_zpsecvjyqsq.jpg

I have been experimenting with lots of different fish species with some cool results. One tip, if you do bake heads then it leaves the oil in the bones resulting in a yellow finish. Boiling them after baking, then a scrub with washing up liquid gets the oil out which whitens them. 

For some reason I wasn't able to add text to the above reply:huh:

Its good because not only do you get a stunning little jaw set but the meat from the cheaks is even tastier than the fillets ( less waste ).

Another thing to consider is removing the otoliths ( jewels ) from inside the head either for yourself or to give to researchers that study the age of fish. The jewels are better looking than jewfish jewels in my opinion, though you probably don't want to here that now!!

Jon

Another great idea, I did go looking for the jewels once in a Mully, but gave up as I ended up just choppin away at it. ( probably should have googled first ! ) Fishing weather improving so heading out for a fish tonight so fingers crossed ! Thanks again for that info

Most people dont realise there are 6 jewels altogether with two main bigger ones. If you follow the bone just back behind the eyes then dig into the bone you should find the main ones, they sit in goopy brainy mush!!

• 4 months later...