Bass Lures

Wellzy94

Hey Raiders!

Being pretty new to freshwater fishing, I've just been going off tips from my local small tackle shop in Penrith. On his advice, I bought a few 38mm cranks (shallow and deep divers) and I've had a small amount of success. However, I'm planning on expanding my lure collection and learning a few different methods of retrieving different types of lures.

Any recommendations on what types of lures would be good for bass? I'll be fishing almost exclusively in the Nepean river, landbased (but soon with a yak!)

Cheers,

Wellzy

38mm cranks are a must have. The other must haves are some sort of cicada. Soft Shells are about 25 bucks each. The Kokoda bat is about 8 bucks and there are plenty in between. The Soft Shells are brilliant and catch more fish, but the bats still catch plenty. My other go to lure is the jig spin/betts spin with a soft plastic tail on a light jighead with a number 1 hook. Tail colours are important, purple being the best IMHO. Spinner baits are similar but more expensive and bigger. If you wanted another option, buzz baits are worth having and a bit of fun.

So in order of preference for me and the types of water.

1. Jig Spins, with a purple soft plastic (particularly good when the fish get hammered)

2. Tiemco soft shell cicada or other cicada style.

3. 38mm deep or shallow diver, chubby is the best, atomic hardz good compromise.

4. buzz baits or other surface wobblers, tiny torpedoes etc. (best around low light or at night)

Whatever lure you use, the most important thing in the nepean is to get really good at casting, your lures need to be tight into whatever structure you are fishing and you don't want to put your first cast into the timber on a snag or overhanging branches that you just spent 5 minutes getting in the right position on :) 

Matt

Edited by macman

17 minutes ago, macman said:

38mm cranks are a must have. The other must haves are some sort of cicada. Soft Shells are about 25 bucks each. The Kokoda bat is about 8 bucks and there are plenty in between. The Soft Shells are brilliant and catch more fish, but the bats still catch plenty. My other go to lure is the jig spin/betts spin with a soft plastic tail on a light jighead with a number 1 hook. Tail colours are important, purple being the best IMHO. Spinner baits are similar but more expensive and bigger. If you wanted another option, buzz baits are worth having and a bit of fun.

So in order of preference for me and the types of water.

1. Jig Spins, with a purple soft plastic (particularly good when the fish get hammered)

2. Tiemco soft shell cicada or other cicada style.

3. 38mm deep or shallow diver, chubby is the best, atomic hardz good compromise.

4. buzz baits or other surface wobblers, tiny torpedoes etc. (best around low light or at night)

Whatever lure you use, the most important thing in the nepean is to get really good at casting, your lures need to be tight into whatever structure you are fishing and you don't want to put your first cast into the timber on a snag or overhanging branches that you just spent 5 minutes getting in the right position on :) 

Matt

Awesome, thanks mate!

Would you happen to have pictures of the buzz baits and jig spins you're talking about? I've never heard of them.

For reference, these are the cranks I have, in a few colours (some bright, some dark and more natural)

285883-zoom.jpg

Cheers,

Wellzy

The taylor made Basscada is my go to for dawn bassing in the orange/gold or black/gold colours.

My cousin rates the jitterbug in black up near the hastings and has been smashing them up there this season.

Like macman said you need that lure right in the snag. Much easier to get a wayward lure back once your in the yak though.

Cheers

Tara

1 minute ago, Rah said:

The taylor made Basscada is my go to for dawn bassing in the orange/gold or black/gold colours.

My cousin rates the jitterbug in black up near the hastings and has been smashing them up there this season.

Like macman said you need that lure right in the snag. Much easier to get a wayward lure back once your in the yak though.

Cheers

Tara

I was looking at those Basscadas the other day!

How slow do I want the retrieve to be on the surface lures? Do I play around with retrieve speeds and see what works on the day?

Cheers,

Wellzy

4 minutes ago, Wellzy94 said:

Awesome, thanks mate!

Would you happen to have pictures of the buzz baits and jig spins you're talking about? I've never heard of them.

Cheers,

Wellzy

Google will help you, most of my links would be from tackle stores which this site don't like

3 minutes ago, Wellzy94 said:

How slow do I want the retrieve to be on the surface lures? Do I play around with retrieve speeds and see what works on the day?

Cheers,

Wellzy

1 minute ago, Wellzy94 said:

rs.php?path=SLLFB-BLK-1.jpg&nw=302Buzz bait?

jig%20spins%20polished%20brass%20medium-Jig spin?

Perfect

3 minutes ago, Wellzy94 said:

Cheers,

Wellzy

If i cast into a spot that i think will hold fish i'll let it sit for a good 10 seconds or until the ripples have pretty much gone and if no hit i'll give a little twitch a couple of time just taking up the slack a bit and let sit again, if nothing a slow retrieve just enough to get the lure working, which isn't very fast. I find it usually gets hit before i start a retrive though, but have had a bass hit the lure literally 60cm from the yak.

I have found that the soft shell cicadas "skin" doesn't last long, a couple of time through a snag and it starts to peel off. 

1 hour ago, Rah said:

I have found that the soft shell cicadas "skin" doesn't last long, a couple of time through a snag and it starts to peel off. 

I've caught around 30 fish on the one I'm currently using and it hasn't lost any paint yet. One of the other blokes I know uses one with all of the skin peeled off and still catches the same amount of fish and another bloke has just repainted his when the skin wears off :) 

Matt

Just now, macman said:

I've caught around 30 fish on the one I'm currently using and it hasn't lost any paint yet. One of the other blokes I know uses one with all of the skin peeled off and still catches the same amount of fish and another bloke has just repainted his when the skin wears off :) 

Matt

Thats a good idea with the repainting. When iv used them i found i was dropping a lot of fish. do you upgrade the trebles?

Cheers

Tara

I've actually found that the trebles are pretty good on these, mind you I haven't caught any really big fish on them, biggest probably around 350. Hook up rates aren't great but I think that's mainly because there are a lot of tiny fish that take a liking to them. 

My all time fave surface lure for bass is the bubble pop 35 in black. I've had some very memorable surface sessions with these. They have a white, silver feather off the back treble.

Tara made some very good points about surface luring. Letting the lure sit until the ripples disappear is spot on. Also just a wiggle of the rod tip instead of a pop works well & keeps it in the zone for longer.

The golden rule when surface fishing is not to strike. Wait until you feel the weight of the fish. Doing this, if they miss it once or twice, they usually come back for another go.

9 hours ago, dirvin21 said:

my go to lures are cultiva mirashad and taylor made "nippy nymph" and strikepro "bass x" anything with a wide wobble action in the 40-60mm range should get you bass

Seems to be the go, the cranks with wider wobble action have had much more success than the ones with a bit less movement.

@Jewhunter I'm currently eyeing off a few surface lures for next payday, gonna add the Bubble Pop to the list!

• 2 weeks later...

Bass will demolish any crank bait in natural colours!

Ive also had success with 'made' spinnerbaits with jig heads no heavier than 1/8th and grub style plastics in colours ranging from green to purple.

They also love expensive lures as close to the trees as possible haha!

Cheers,

Paul.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2017 at 9:23 AM, Swampgecko said:

I recently had success with  this sugapen yellow and clear bodied with red strips.

Came back to look at this post to see if anybody mentioned Sugapens for bass, as I got a couple yesterday. 95mm seems a very big lure for bass!

I've got four in different colours in 70mm. Should be good for fishing saltwater flats too!

Cheers,

Wellzy

In small creeks I like to use little clear poppers and stick baits about 35/45mm . 35mm scorpions and little strike pro suspending  divers in a sort of  mosquito fish colour. In the bigger water I always seem to go back to  the old heddon teeny torpedo. I have also been using bigger lures (pompadours/dying flutters) with a bit of success.It's all about the pause! Down deeper I like 60-70mm jointed minnows. Rapala/Sebile make good ones in various depths. If all else fails tie on a no.2 or 3 celta, we call them cheating around here. Hope this helps a bit mate.

11 hours ago, Mr Mullit said:

In small creeks I like to use little clear poppers and stick baits about 35/45mm . 35mm scorpions and little strike pro suspending  divers in a sort of  mosquito fish colour. In the bigger water I always seem to go back to  the old heddon teeny torpedo. I have also been using bigger lures (pompadours/dying flutters) with a bit of success.It's all about the pause! Down deeper I like 60-70mm jointed minnows. Rapala/Sebile make good ones in various depths. If all else fails tie on a no.2 or 3 celta, we call them cheating around here. Hope this helps a bit mate.

I was looking at getting some spinners, those celtas look pretty good. Might pick a few up and give them a crack this weekend!

Cheers,

Wellzy

Great idea mate. Spinners are my go to lures when the fishing is tough. I just chuck them up rapids and hang on when they hit the bottom. They are mainly smaller fish but great for your confidence. Catch a couple and put the surface lure back on!  Celtas are the best quality but they all work . 1 more thing about bass. When they are on they will eat ANYTHING! I've seen them caught on an army man with a hook tied to it!

An army man, really? Haha!

Hoping to get the softshell cicada out this weekend too, went on a bit of a splurge and got a Fish Arrow softshell with a weedless hook. See how we go!

Was on the Nepean Belle (paddleboat/restaurant) and sussed out some nice, snaggy structure to cast at.

Cheers,

Wellzy