Double Bay 22/01/17

Noldty

Hey All,

managed to get out for a fish on Sunday and decided to go down to double bay for the morning. I arrived around 5:30 and quickly rigged up my rods. I had two rods one with a squid jig and one set up to throw the squid out of I could catch one. One hour passes and nothing at all. I was about to give up on the squid and throw some surface lures around and some plastics. Thankfully I have it a little bit more time and I finally caught a squid. I quickly rigged the squid up and threw it out. 

While the squid was out I continued to fish for squid. Half an hour passed by and I caught five more squid. That would be enough for the morning so stopped there. I went over to check the squid. I wound it in and found that my hooks were gone. A nice clean bite through the trace. I'm guessing it was a tailor. I rigged up and threw out another squid. 

This squid was in the water for about 10 minutes when I heard my drag make a little sound. I went over and sat in front of the rod and then all of a sudden the line took off and the drag was sreaming. I lifted the rod up and straight away I could feel the power of the fish and he was going straight for the boat morings. I tightened the drag and gavehine everything. I everntually turned him and was getting him in close. He took a few more runs but eventually I got him to the wharf. I grabbed my net and was about to net him and he took one more run under the wharf and bing the line snapped. I was not happy. So I still a few squid left so I quickly rigged up and threw out another squid. 

A little bit of time went by and not much more action was happening. I was throwing sum plastics around next thing you know the squid rods goes off again. I run over and again I hook the fish and the fish runs straight for the morings. Once again I managed to turn the fish and slowly work his way to the wharf. Once again I got the fish to the wharf. This time I left the fishes head out of the water and but the net behind the fish and netted him. 

IMG_1758.JPG

I wish I could of weighed him because he was really thick across the back. After the photo I placed him back in the water and he took off. 

I went threw the other squid but they were all picked off over time. When I had no more squid left I packed up and went home happy with my effort for the morning. 

Noldty 

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Wellzy94 said:

Nice catch mate! What sort of gear did you fight those kingfish on?

Cheers,

Wellzy

Hey mate,

i don't use to heavy gear. I had a 12ft rod rated at 6-9kg with a 4000 reel spooled with 15lb braid main line. I run that down to my trace which is 30lb fluorocarbon leader joined together with a double uni knot. I snell two hooks at the end. 

Noldty

59 minutes ago, REELCRAZY said:

Nice king mate and congrats on the release. Good to see some size to the harbour kings 

The harbour kings that I have hooked have been a good size and some of the fish that I have seen swimming around have looked good. The one I lost might have been a little bigger but it's hard to tell. 

Noldty

On ‎23‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 2:49 PM, Noldty said:

Hey mate,

i don't use to heavy gear. I had a 12ft rod rated at 6-9kg with a 4000 reel spooled with 15lb braid main line. I run that down to my trace which is 30lb fluorocarbon leader joined together with a double uni knot. I snell two hooks at the end. 

Noldty

Nice catch there mate. Id better up my gear as I fish lighter then @Noldty

Mark.

• 3 years later...
On 1/23/2017 at 2:02 PM, Noldty said:

Hey All,

managed to get out for a fish on Sunday and decided to go down to double bay for the morning. I arrived around 5:30 and quickly rigged up my rods. I had two rods one with a squid jig and one set up to throw the squid out of I could catch one. One hour passes and nothing at all. I was about to give up on the squid and throw some surface lures around and some plastics. Thankfully I have it a little bit more time and I finally caught a squid. I quickly rigged the squid up and threw it out. 

While the squid was out I continued to fish for squid. Half an hour passed by and I caught five more squid. That would be enough for the morning so stopped there. I went over to check the squid. I wound it in and found that my hooks were gone. A nice clean bite through the trace. I'm guessing it was a tailor. I rigged up and threw out another squid. 

This squid was in the water for about 10 minutes when I heard my drag make a little sound. I went over and sat in front of the rod and then all of a sudden the line took off and the drag was sreaming. I lifted the rod up and straight away I could feel the power of the fish and he was going straight for the boat morings. I tightened the drag and gavehine everything. I everntually turned him and was getting him in close. He took a few more runs but eventually I got him to the wharf. I grabbed my net and was about to net him and he took one more run under the wharf and bing the line snapped. I was not happy. So I still a few squid left so I quickly rigged up and threw out another squid. 

A little bit of time went by and not much more action was happening. I was throwing sum plastics around next thing you know the squid rods goes off again. I run over and again I hook the fish and the fish runs straight for the morings. Once again I managed to turn the fish and slowly work his way to the wharf. Once again I got the fish to the wharf. This time I left the fishes head out of the water and but the net behind the fish and netted him. 

IMG_1758.JPG

I wish I could of weighed him because he was really thick across the back. After the photo I placed him back in the water and he took off. 

I went threw the other squid but they were all picked off over time. When I had no more squid left I packed up and went home happy with my effort for the morning. 

Noldty 

Hi Mate,

Great report. New to the fish raider chat & Double Bay Area. I've tried fishing here couple times but bit weedy at bottom. How do you setup your rig and what size line. i.e Slide bait or float or free line or running sinker.

Cheers Much Appreciated