quick harbour sesh 6-02-17

Krispy !

Headed to the harbour early yesterday morning as conditions looked good with the wind due to pick up by mid morning. Arrived on location at 0500 and began squidding, it was tough work but eventually managed 3 small calamari in total which had me hopeful of some kings, I had pillys as backup but I mainly wanted to use them for burley. Was a slow start but eventually there was some baitfish that started showing up and some birds looking very active. Began burleying hard with pilchards and immediately some big trevally showed up as well as some bream but no kings yet. Decided it was probably time to send out a live squid so quickly rigged it up and lobbed it out. I kept the bail open and put the rod against the railing, turned around to chop up more burley and turned around to see line peeling off the reel steadily, then stopping, then again coming off even faster. I grabbed the rod, gave it 5-10 seconds then loaded up to some good weight then it went slack. Whatever it was must've been grabbing the squid around the head :ranting2: . Quickly rigged up another squid and sent it out but this time I kept my eye on it. About 1 minute later same thing, line began peeling off steadily, gave it a good 30 seconds this time then grabbed the rod and loaded up. This time the weight loaded up properly and after a few headshakes the fish realised it had been hooked and took off on a screamer of a run and on its way tangled 2 other peoples lines, after a few tense moments managed to free the lines and the fight resumed. The fish took another good run then came in and tried to slug it out around the pylons, it got me under on its first attempt but thankfully the line didn't touch and it came out, a few seconds later it was in the net:1clap:.Put it on the brag mat and it went 78cm and pretty fat as well.  Sent out the last squid which got picked, and the wind started picking up a lot so decided to call it a day and head home at 0830. Not a bad little session.

king78cms.jpg

Edited by Krispy !

1 hour ago, Basseeker said:

Congrats on the beautiful fish mate! 

Was a good way to start the day ?

Thanks mate, it sure was ?

48 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Nice Krispy! You certainly have a productive spot on the kings. You have obviously done your research on what it takes to get them! Well done :) 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks Scratchie, makes all the hard work at the beginning worth it ?

40 minutes ago, mitchie18092 said:

Yum. Nice catch there Krispy!

Consistent as ever... 

M.

Thanks mitchie?

3 hours ago, The Incredible Hull said:

Nice job !

Thanks mate

28 minutes ago, Archillies said:

Really nice work Krispy! If you dont mind me asking what sought of rig do you use for your live squid?

Thanks

Hey Archilles no problem i just use a single hook in the tip of the hood and cast them out unweighted. The more natural the better if youre after kings consistently

A very nice fish there Krispy.

You think you have won the battle, then the bastard runs under the pylons, and you think that it's all over. :angry:

Kingies, big trevally, big bream, all dirty fighters around pylons and rocks.

5 hours ago, Mike89 said:

Mate you are getting pretty consistent with these kingies!

Good stuff, 78cm is a fish worth smiling about!

Thanks Mike yeh 78cm is a nice size was around the 5-6kg mark

5 hours ago, cossie said:

Nice kingie mate.

Well done. I am jealous

Thanks cossie

3 hours ago, Yowie said:

A very nice fish there Krispy.

You think you have won the battle, then the bastard runs under the pylons, and you think that it's all over. :angry:

Kingies, big trevally, big bream, all dirty fighters around pylons and rocks.

Thanks yowie, thats why i love them and hate them. Always get the blood pumping

2 hours ago, recurve said:

Good fish mate and good write up. 

Thanks recurve

13 hours ago, big Neil said:

Well done Krispy, great report. I've never caught a Kingfish but from what I read and see in videos, they are terrific fighters. Keep up the good work mate. BN

Thanks big Neil they sure do go hard

6 hours ago, night_rider said:

Definitely a Georges River Spot X King looking at that colouring :P 

hahahaha shhhhhh

Hey Krispy,

Just saw your report for kingie, great catch!

Ive got my own boat but since I can only go in the weekdays leaves me with no options to go with a decent like minded fisho like yourself.

Mate if you are interested then we can go togeather on my boat. Let me know

Cheers

Saad.

3 hours ago, night_rider said:

Definitely Georges River. It's going off ATM...

Even after all the rain from the past 2 days?  Georges river gets pretty brown and skanky quite quickly from my experience...

Bloody nice King Krispy!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2017 at 4:38 PM, Krispy ! said:

Thanks mate

Hey Archilles no problem i just use a single hook in the tip of the hood and cast them out unweighted. The more natural the better if youre after kings consistently

Hi Krispy do you fish livies unweighted also.If you fish in free spool how do you stop the line peeling off when there is wind about just curious.

Steve