Jindabyne

hamerz84

Gday guys been awhile since I've been on here glad to be back, question I have is, I'm going down to jindabyne next for work and will have he Thursday off to myself, I want take a rod but have never fished for trout. What gear would i need and what other species can I target ? 

Thanks in advance, hamerz. 

I'm far from an expert when it comes to targeting trout in a lake, but in general I target trout with a 7ft 2-4kg rod, 2500 sienna and 6lb braid with 8lb fluro leader

I personally use minnow style hardbodies  and celtas, you will also catch trout on worms

as far as I know there are brown, rainbow and brook trout in jindabyne

4 hours ago, savit said:

Consider also nearby Thredbo river (artificial bait only). There is a small tackle shop at petrol station just before the park which might help with local advice on lures, spots and bait.

Just to clarify, the Thredbo river is fly & lure only. No bait or artificial baits such as powerbait allowed. 

15 minutes ago, foolforjesus said:

Just to clarify, the Thredbo river is fly & lure only. No bait or artificial baits such as powerbait allowed. 

Mate, I agree with you re Powerbait for Thredbo river, however lures and fly are actually artificial baits.

On 09/02/2017 at 3:29 PM, savit said:

Mate, I agree with you re Powerbait for Thredbo river, however lures and fly are actually artificial baits.

Mate, I don't want to split hairs with you, but I disagree.

Lures are lures, flies are flies, soft plastics are soft plastics, hard bodies are hard bodies, and bait is bait.

For the youngsters or older generation on here just getting into fishing, this could be confusing.

Edited by foolforjesus

Just to add to the confusion can you tell me whether powerbait is "natural bait or artificial baiit" lol.

i have a feeling thats what ffj is getting at!

to me its an artificial bait as much as i hate saying it and thats where people may think its ok to fish powerbait in a blue ribbon stream lol.

peace!

If fishing the lake fish just before sun up into the dawn for margin feeders at spots such as curiosity rocks waste point poo bay and near the dam wall, kalkite another good area also do this into dusk and last light. Use rapala in xrap, j series and cd series in trout patterns and gold fish patterns. Another great spot is Island bend amd the snowy but if you fish the snowy stay on the left hand side of the river going upstream in case the let water go for hydro electric generation. Thredbo river is very productive work the banks and deep pools as well as the faster water. Lot of smaller fish at this time of year but there can be some big ones taken. 

13 minutes ago, luderick -angler said:

If fishing the lake fish just before sun up into the dawn for margin feeders at spots such as curiosity rocks waste point poo bay and near the dam wall, kalkite another good area also do this into dusk and last light. Use rapala in xrap, j series and cd series in trout patterns and gold fish patterns. Another great spot is Island bend amd the snowy but if you fish the snowy stay on the left hand side of the river going upstream in case the let water go for hydro electric generation. Thredbo river is very productive work the banks and deep pools as well as the faster water. Lot of smaller fish at this time of year but there can be some big ones taken. 

Thank you very much for sharing LA. I had a chance to fish Thredbo river last Xmas with various SP and Tassie Devils and saw about 6 50-60 cm trouts in the holes (and 2 platypuses) within 2 hours or so, however none of fish wanted to bite the lure. Do you have any suggestions for SP/Tassie devils for the river?

4 minutes ago, luderick -angler said:

Not an SP man I fish the fly. Sorry! Try celtas in black and gold red amd black and green and black deadly lure

NP at all. What would be  your suggestion for the flies for the river?

Try going old school and give spoons a go. Tiger/mountain minnows are classics same with tobys. Trout like most fish love shiny things. Versatile lures they cast a mile, flutter when they sink, suited to almost any type of retrieve plus you can jig them and they catch everything. Give em a go! I love em

Matt

2 hours ago, savit said:

NP at all. What would be  your suggestion for the flies for the river?

Flies where to start! My basics box would include bead head nymphs varying weights patterns hare and copper hares ear prince nymph and pheasant tails have these in unweighted as well in sizes 12 to 16. Wets/streamers you can't go past bead head woolly buggers in black and olive. A few mrs Simpsons as well. Dries I would have parachute Adams's royal wullfs (standard, black and white variants) elk hair caddis and klinkhammers (emerger style dry) have these in sizes 12 to 18 to match the insect sizes also have a few hopper patterns and stimulators in case grass hoppers are about! 

Hope that helps

48 minutes ago, luderick -angler said:

Flies where to start! My basics box would include bead head nymphs varying weights patterns hare and copper hares ear prince nymph and pheasant tails have these in unweighted as well in sizes 12 to 16. Wets/streamers you can't go past bead head woolly buggers in black and olive. A few mrs Simpsons as well. Dries I would have parachute Adams's royal wullfs (standard, black and white variants) elk hair caddis and klinkhammers (emerger style dry) have these in sizes 12 to 18 to match the insect sizes also have a few hopper patterns and stimulators in case grass hoppers are about! 

Hope that helps

Fly fishing is too complex for me. Gotta mend the line all the time.

53 minutes ago, luderick -angler said:

Hope that helps

Thanks LA.

8 minutes ago, Wellzy94 said:

Fly fishing is too complex for me. Gotta mend the line all the time.

Have a look at sbirolino rig (clear float for casting flies with usual spin rod) in internet.