Waterproof walkie talkies

allen_f

Hey Kayak krew, at our last mini kayak meet, I brought out some cheap Aldi walkie talkies in a ziplock bag LOL, they worked well but obviously water gets in after a while which should theoretically fry them. So far they have survived but I'm thinking of getting some water proof ones. Not only will they be good for safety when out as a crew, its good for calling the rest of the squad onto fish as we found out last week. Does anyone own any waterproof walkies? I'm about to get some cheap waterproof walkies from baofeng from ebay. If the link is allowed for the sake of sharing important safety equipment. It is down below. Anyone got any feedback?

Ill post a pic of what I'm planning to get. Will be purchasing soon as it takes 3-4 weeks to arrive from overseas haha.

PM me if you want the link

walkie.PNG

I would be careful of that Baofang as the features does not match with the description ?. 16 channels so I'm assuming no CB, says water resistant and then waterproof. Wattage drops from 8 to 7, wattage shouldn't be a deciding factor for yakkers as we usually have uninterrupted line of sight thus radio waves should be sweet. A 1w unit would perform just as well.

If we are going to make this a regular Yakking Crew I'd probably pick up a Uniden MHS155UV. Has 2.5w of UHF for when I am 4wding, 5w of VHF for when I am on the water and need marine assistance and CB for when the Yakkers meet up. Oh and it floats ?

Edited by Lungfai76
Spelling

37 minutes ago, Lungfai76 said:

I would be careful of that Baofang as the features does not match with the description ?. 16 channels so I'm assuming no CB, says water resistant and then waterproof. Wattage drops from 8 to 7, wattage shouldn't be a deciding factor for yakkers as we usually have uninterrupted line of sight thus radio waves should be sweet. A 1w unit would perform just as well.

If we are going to make this a regular Yakking Crew I'd probably pick up a Uniden MHS155UV. Has 2.5w of UHF for when I am 4wding, 5w of VHF for when I am on the water and need marine assistance and CB for when the Yakkers meet up. Oh and it floats ?

That's more expensive than my Fishfinder! <_<

Has anyone used the GME GX800W handheld? Advertised as floating, IPX7 and also flashes when overboard.