Purchases And GST Quoting

Nolongeramember

I make purchases over the phone quite often and the store will tell me their price of a product but mention nothing about GST. So I say yeah I'm happy with that and make the purchase. Then when my credit card statement arrives they have added 10% to the price they quoted me. They even sometimes add 10% to the shipping cost which they quote.

Another example is I'll go to a parts store and ask the guy how much something is on the shelf. Then I'll take it to the counter to pay and he asks me to pay another 10% on top. 

Are businesses allowed to do this and what can be done if they are not?

I need to learn to ask every time.

If the store is usual retail business then I would email that store explaining that I was overcharged as the amount was diffetent from quoted and demand the difference or item return. If no (positive) response then I would contact credit card provider without delay  and dispute the payment. Its not your money paid, it's credit card company money.

It is quite easy to avoid such situations if  you ask how much in total you will be charged before providing credit card details and require emailed confirmation of payment e.g electronic invoice before any shipment is done.

6 hours ago, Roylo said:

But what about if you call a store and ask how much is the Daiwa Certate 2500 and all the person says is $400. So you buy it with a credit card and then 3 days later you realise they have charged you $440. Is this allowed?

They are ripping you off Roylo. Ring for the quote, ask for the TOTAL price and get the persons name that provided the quote. I write down who provided the TOTAL quote and the time /date. If there is a problem, I get straight back on to them. Probably best to assume that retailers are going to be underhanded and be surprised if they're not. BN

It's just that they sometimes just say a price. No mention of if it's with or without GST and I forget to ask if it is or not. Then they charge extra later. 

I guess I just need to remember to ask what is the total price to be charged, then go from there if I get charged extra. 

Is there any way of getting your postage cost back if a retailer wrongly (possibly deliberately) describes a product over the phone? 

For example, you say I need the line that is 400m long and the retailer says yes it is, but when you receive it, it's only 300m. So you send it back for a refund of the purchase price but it's also costed you $20 in postage fees which the seller won't refund. Or should they be made to?

19 minutes ago, Roylo said:

Is there any way of getting your postage cost back if a retailer wrongly (possibly deliberately) describes a product over the phone? 

For example, you say I need the line that is 400m long and the retailer says yes it is, but when you receive it, it's only 300m. So you send it back for a refund of the purchase price but it's also costed you $20 in postage fees which the seller won't refund. Or should they be made to?

I open online purchases carefully and if it's not right seal it back up contact the sender and write return to sender on it. 

Australia post does not work for free. If you don't want the parcel - then do not sign for it and it will be sent back to sender in a few weeks time. If the parcel was left at your door - then check with Australia Post yourself - high chance it is  the same procedure as with RTS post mail.

Express post means only fast method of delivery I.e. it has nothing to do with handling, processing etc time of the seller. If the seller sent you the item by regular mail and you paid for Express post or courier then dispute the charges.

If you do not trust each other with postage costs refund  for item return then tell seller to send you prepaid plastic postage bag or to organize courier for pick up.