Trailer Tyres

cameldownunder

I hit the kerb on my way down to the ramp, and sliced the tyre.

I hit the kerb lightly before, with the tyre on the other side, and it took out a nice chunk of plastic.

I did several kerbs before ( yes I am a terrible driver around corners ) with my old tyres and they never sliced or lost any parts.

I NEED some SERIOUSLY GOOD tyres. My mistake for buying from .bay

Area Sydney, Northern Suburbs. Please suggest Tyre and retailer. PM me ( for the retailer part )

14 minutes ago, cameldownunder said:

Thanks @Raging for the PM. It seems everybody else has their boat in the water. Not much help from this community, if it's not about fish.

Hi mate, send a PM to Fab1, he's very good with info about mechanical queries. Good luck, BN

2 hours ago, cameldownunder said:

Thanks @Raging for the PM. It seems everybody else has their boat in the water. Not much help from this community, if it's not about fish.

That's a pretty poor statement. There are lots of raiders willing to help on various issues! But yes, it is a fishing website first and foremost. As you can see, if you give people time they will respond. 

Imo, not that you've mentioned your type of vechile if, it is an SUV or 4wd I'd suggest "cooper tyres".  Should be available at any good retailer! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

On 2/9/2017 at 4:13 PM, cameldownunder said:

I apologize for not stating the ( to me and others ) obvious: I did hit the tyre with the trailer on my way to the ramp

On 2/13/2017 at 6:16 PM, The Incredible Hull said:

You should have posted in the Boating section

I would have risked getting an answer: Boats don't have tyres.

Now seriously, where do you guys get your trailer tyres fitted? 

It seems that wherever tyre fitting place I call they want to throw some no-names tyres at me?

Maybe it's the 165/65 R13 size the problem?

On 9 February 2017 at 4:13 PM, cameldownunder said:

I hit the kerb lightly before, with the tyre on the other side, and it took out a nice chunk of plastic.

I did several kerbs before ( yes I am a terrible driver around corners ) with my old tyres and they never sliced or lost any parts.

I NEED some SERIOUSLY GOOD tyres. My mistake for buying from .bay

Area Sydney, Northern Suburbs. Please suggest Tyre and retailer. PM me ( for the retailer part )

Hitting tyres on curbs,driving up gutters etc can and will damage tyres internally if done often enough even though there's no obvious damage externally with the naked eye.

People don't realise how complex tyres are internally and the abuse they have to sustain day in and day out under everyday driving conditions on our cars let alone trailers of any description.

Like some one else said the 13" and even the 14" tyres are slowly going by the wayside as there is an ever decreasing demand for them but it will be a while yet.

If you go the 14" route ensure you have enough clearance inbetween your guard and top of your tyre so they don't scrub out.(The extra 1" will decrease that gap by 1/2".)

Having said all that I would do my best to stop hitting kerbs,keep the tyres inflated correctly,Minimise there sun exposure by covering them if in the sun,if your rig is parked up for some time raise the wheels of the ground on stands or move the boat slightly to a new contact patch on the tyre(This is good for both tyres and bearings) of you could take it for a short drive every few weeks and replace the tyres every 5 years regardless of condition.

This is what I've done my whole driving life and hasn't failed me yet other than the unavoidable odd puncture.

In summary by the best you can afford,look after them and they will give you the longest service life.

Cheers.