RNP - Garie Beach / Collaery Gully Day Out

Speedmaster30

Hi all...

Recently joined the forum...

I am keen on heading out VERY soon into the RNP to do some beach fishing - probably along the Garie Beach/little Garie section (starting here and will work my way down the coast).

I'm guessing that the area is full of life so i am looking for some advice... i've seen a few post about the North head -not heading there as i prefer beach to rock (simply because i've only really done the beach fishing a few times).

I can generally read the surf to pick out channels etc, but i'm not too sure what sort of bait to use as i've never really been out and about in OZ...any tips?

I'm keen on taking 2 rods as i would like to try some plastics (never tried before) that i'll get at a store - will ask for some advice before purchasing..

Not looking to target anything specific but i will if there are any good tips on where/what?

Generally prefer catch and release but will keep some for the BBQ if i managed to land a few.

Apologies if this was/is already posted in a thread - if so, please direct me?..

You'll generally be able to pick up Salmon and Tailer off the beach. Pilchards on ganged hooks or half pilchards on single hooks work well. You could also try bigger baits like yakka (whole or filleted) on a 2-hook snell rig or ganged hooks for Jewfish (and probably small sharks). Some beaches also have whiting and bream which you'd pick up on surface lures or other baits (squid, worms, chicken breast/gut), and flathead and bream on soft plastics too. Best bet is to try different setups and always take a mix of baits, and find out what works for you. Good luck!

Cheers,

Wellzy

59 minutes ago, Wellzy94 said:

You'll generally be able to pick up Salmon and Tailer off the beach. Pilchards on ganged hooks or half pilchards on single hooks work well. You could also try bigger baits like yakka (whole or filleted) on a 2-hook snell rig or ganged hooks for Jewfish (and probably small sharks)

Thanks for the response Wellzy94!- i've read up a bit on this and i'm planning on trying these for sure as i plan on having a variety of baits to test the waters!

1 hour ago, Wellzy94 said:

and flathead and bream on soft plastics too

Do you have any recommendations for plastics? i've never fished with plastics before but always willing to try it out.

I generally have 2 rods with me when i head out so im keen on experimenting with this.

For bream usually around the 2-3inch plastics, had success with zman grubs in motor oil, very light jighead though or even hidden weight. Pretty slow retrieve, little hops

Storm twitching nipper are also pretty solid.

Cast near structure or under boats/pontoons.

Flathead usual 3-4inch but some people use bigger 

Zman paddletails in opening night, motor oil, gold rush etc there not very fussy to be honest.

Just hop it along the bottom.

If ur heading to a tackle store im sure they can give u some tips, this is just what i use :)

33 minutes ago, Anthonystrati said:

For bream usually around the 2-3inch plastics, had success with zman grubs in motor oil, very light jighead though or even hidden weight. Pretty slow retrieve, little hops

Storm twitching nipper are also pretty solid.

Cast near structure or under boats/pontoons.

Flathead usual 3-4inch but some people use bigger 

Zman paddletails in opening night, motor oil, gold rush etc there not very fussy to be honest.

Just hop it along the bottom.

If ur heading to a tackle store im sure they can give u some tips, this is just what i use

Will try this out and let you guys know how it goes...

Cheers Wellzy& Anthonystrati