Sydney East FAD 18/02

gwoods

I finally got a day out with my 2 eldest (21 and 19), with the forecast not too good decided not to go too wide and went to the Sydney East FAD. Day started really well with collecting yakkas in the bay. In no time at all we had 15 good size yakkas in the bait tank and out we headed. My kids have only fished inside before this.

Got out to the FAD about 6:30 and basically had it to ourselves for the next 4 hours. Lots and lots of small dollies, we must have caught 30 between 50 and 60 cm. The kids had a ball trying to keep the Mutton Birds away from their bait and multiple hookups every drift. The other thing they enjoyed was watching the dollies stalk the live bait out the back.

We managed one decent dolly at 74cm for dinner. After checking the DPI website it turns out that we through a heap of legal ones back as I was measuring to the fork in the tail not the end of the tail. Never mind because the bigger one fed 5 for dinner and I don't like taking too many home. Apart from the Yakkas we were using Small frozen local squid and pillies.

Headed back in as the wind picked up about 1100, gave up trying to fish in the bay as it was really blowing inside as well and had the boat back on the trailer at a bit after 1200. The kids had a ball and are already at me to take them back out.

IMG_1293[1].JPG

Not sure about the "Best" way but so far I have just filleted them, coated them in olive oil and put them straight on the BBQ. Skin side down, turn them remove skin and serve with fresh garden salad, curly fries and tartare sauce. They are one of the best tasting fish I have eaten and all of the kids 9 (fussy eater), 12, 19 and 21 come back for seconds. Given we have had a few recently I will be looking for other ways to cook them but for now plain and simple is a favourite. 

Definately one of the tastiest fish, just don't over cook or it goes dry. BBQ is great. Try pan frying some skinless fillets dusted in polenta. Cook same as bread crumbs, golden brown. Nice and crispy and good flavour . Works well on the big ones as the skin can be quite thick on metre + fish 

20 hours ago, gwoods said:

Not sure about the "Best" way but so far I have just filleted them, coated them in olive oil and put them straight on the BBQ. Skin side down, turn them remove skin and serve with fresh garden salad, curly fries and tartare sauce. They are one of the best tasting fish I have eaten and all of the kids 9 (fussy eater), 12, 19 and 21 come back for seconds. Given we have had a few recently I will be looking for other ways to cook them but for now plain and simple is a favourite. 

Agree with you there - they are a top eating fish. Pan fried, crumbed or battered and deep fried - good enough to eat just as they are or if you prefer, with your favorite sauce or garnish.

Another Fishraider introduced my to Rice Bran Oil some time ago and its a great alternative to olive oil as it has little flavour and a higher smoke point so you can crank up the cooking temperature which is especially good for deep frying. It has other health benefits too apparently

I remove the skin when I fillet them - I think most find the skin unpalatable.

Check this video out on how to do that.

Great job on the Dollie by the way. Its good to get runs on the board on their frist trip outside and a real bonus that the kids liked eating  the fish.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister