Mascot area

Brynnnooo

Hey guys,

1st post on this forum as I'm new to fishing in Australia, Welshman here looking for tips on where the best spots to do a bit of rock fishing, spinning/lures preferably. I've got myself a half decent setup and ready to go just need to find a good spot near me to get started and what best lures etc to use as I don't have a clue. Used to to a bit of beach casting sea fishing back home but haven't really done much fishing since being in australia last 4 years. Looking for the bigger fish of course but happy to catch anything that will take my bait at the moment haha 

Any tips would be much appreciated! 

Thanks

Hey mate,

In my opinion, lures in the style of the spanyid raider or halco twistys (make doesnt matter too much) are integral for spinning off the rocks. Get a 15g or two, a 40g and a 65g. Salmon, tailor and bonito, all love those lures. If you see a school of bait or any chases cast it straight through and you are good to go!

All the best mate,

Tag

Yer man I sometimes toss a 40 grammer Pilchard coloured lure or Crome,off the rocks,30g ,40g anything else is too light for me and over 40g too heavy but that gives you an idea.

Just beware ,where you go, Sydney Coastal Rocks are the most dangerous in Australia with regards to fisho's getting washed off the rocks and drowning.

Edited by DMG

Not sure because I havent fished them but I've been eyeing off the Cooks river break walls and the creeks that run into the bay near the Botany Bay boat ramp (between the airport and the container port). 

Or there is always La Perouse for squidding and san souci for bream/flathead.

Hi Brynnoo - 

Haven't been on here in a while sorry for the late response! :/

I'm living in Mascot myself and usually head out to Sans Souci/Kyeemagh but with light tackle going for Bream and Flatties on the soft plastics!

I've got a spare rod (kmart spinning rod 2-4kg but a mate outfished me on it the other day... It's actually really good!)

So yeah, if you want to head out with me/us (I've got a couple of fishing buddies) and get to know some of the 'local' haunts, let me know!

I'm starting to get better at this soft plastics fishing with light tackle, can't help you for fishing off the rocks though, I'm waiting to find a friendly fisho to show me the ropes for that... :)