Hawkesbury Mud Crabbing

samos

Gday all!

Decided to try the Hawkesbury River for a few Mud Crabs, as told by a mate that they are on in numbers up there. Fixed up all the crab pots which hadn't been used for a year and took them up.

After the pots were in the water for 1.5 hours our first check proved to be a success. 4 Mud crabs came up. :1yikes:

At the end of the night we ended up with 14 Mud crabs! :biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

Our mate sure was telling the truth that the crabs were on in numbers. Cheers. We also gave him a few mud crabs.

post-1212-1130217717_thumb.jpg

I don't know what to say other than I paid $160 for 4 live muddies at $40 a kilo last week at the fish markets to get ONE feed. For $160 I could drive the Black Pig from the Harbour to the Hawkesbury and do a bit of fishing as well!

I haven't fished there since I was a kid 30 years ago. How far up the river do you find those bewdies? I remember Dad getting a blue swimmer at Spencer but never knew there were Muddies up there.

Well Done

Peter

Guest bluecod

Now THAT is one hell of an introduction to a fishy site :thumbup:

Having dined on muddy last night, the only thing left to say is - can I come over for a feed ? :074::074:

:1welcomeani: to the site and hopefully, one day one of your backrounds will give it away!

Nice feed there Takes me back to growing up in Gladstone QLD which is claimed to be the mudcrab capital of the world Made a lot of money selling muddies in pubs when I was a kid

A hint on finding muddies for you guys is place your traps at the mouths of drains on mudflats that have mangroves at low tide when the tide is starting to rise check them every hour and move them further up as the tide comes in :thumbup:

I don't know what to say other than I paid $160 for 4 live muddies at $40 a kilo last week at the fish markets to get ONE feed. For $160 I could drive the Black Pig from the Harbour to the Hawkesbury and do a bit of fishing as well!

I haven't fished there since I was a kid 30 years ago. How far up the river do you find those bewdies? I remember Dad getting a blue swimmer at Spencer but never knew there were Muddies up there.

Well Done

Peter

All of the mud crabs were caught upstream from Bar Point.

Hopefully this info will help you all to get into a few mud crabs as there are plenty out and about at the moment. GOOD LUCK :thumbup:

great catch mud_crabbing :thumbup: you deserve many beers for that effort :beersmile::beersmile:

its good to see these mud crabs returning to the hawkesbury. They've been scarse to say the least over the last couple of seasons. This is "appparently" due to 2 clowns, who many years ago laid hundreds of traps between Bar point and wisemens ferry and continuously worked the are for about 6 weeks and nearly killed off the whold population.........

Anyway, top catch.......... :biggrin2:

WOW :1yikes:

I think I may have had muddies destroy my witches hat nets from time to time in berowra creek.

The bait is gone or close to it and the nylon net is shredded.

Does anybody this is the case?

Do I need to use some kind of chicken wire box like cage contraption to catch them?

Cheers

Thats sh#thouse gav, especially the one pot per person and only 5 pp, i cant believe some people are taking more than that. The thing about your post that pissed me off is that you told fisheries and they still did nothing, whats the go with that, thats a joke. I would be tempted to cut the pots loose, and keep doing it until they stop.

it still happens way too often,i live there and see 1 person in 1 boat (randon people) drop 20 pots in a row but with different names on each of them,i have told fisheries about it in the passed but have done nothing.a couple of weeks ago i counted 83 pots just where i live and you could imagine how i felt about that.i just hope every one is following the legal limits of 1 POT per person and only 5 CRABS.i catch a few crabs myself but never take too many and ALWAYS let the jennys (females) go which everyone should do to keep the stocks up.

Thats a joke gav.......... :ranting2: i feel for u especially when its practically in your backyard......

83 ??? and fisheries did nothing when u called it in ?? thats an even bigger joke. just like knapers i would serously consider cutting them loose too, especially since fisheries seem to be doing bugger all.......... :thumbdown:

14 Muddies in 1 day!

Mate, you must be kidding, I have targeted mud crabs in this area for a long time, they do exist but in the number you mention seem unrealistic.

Its a shame your picture doesn't show the Hawkesbury, just a crate of well ties crabs.

We all have great days out but for a haul like that the Sydney Fish Markets would be my call.

Negative first post, but I don't like peolpe getting others hopes up for nothing, petrol is too expensive.

I'd love to see you prove me wrong, maybe a few photos of the crabs with your boat on the Hawkesbury.

Nice one Stan,

tell us what you really think!

I hope that poor bugger who posted the mud crab story doesn't jump off the Hawkesbury Rover Road Bridge.

Guilty till proven innocent?

:wacko:

I'll make sure I get solid proof for any of my future reports! :thumbup:

Cheers

Pete

Pugwash (great name) this "story" seems to unreal for me, if he jumped from a bridge I'm sure there would be plently of mud crabs to catch him.

I will have to say that I think that it is a little unfair that some of you guys here doubt the integrity of someone that they have never met,let alone someone who has put up a post showing us all ,what in anyones language is one hell of a catch.

There is no doubt that ,that in the Hawkesbury river there would be ideal places that would provide crabs in these numbers,I guess the real question is where!

,I think it unlikely that "crabbin" will enlighten us to any great degree of where he caught them ,and rightly so-imagine what would happen if he was to tell us .....how many crabs would be there in six months time?.

Stop the bullshit and start fishing is what I reckon.

- my tip is mangroves = mudcrabs ,go look.

Simon

I will have to say that I think that it is a little unfair that some of you guys here doubt the integrity of someone that they have never met,let alone someone who has put up a post showing us all ,what in anyones language is one hell of a catch.

There is no doubt that ,that in the Hawkesbury river there would be ideal places that would provide crabs in these numbers,I guess the real question is where!

,I think it unlikely that "crabbin" will enlighten us to any great degree of where he caught them ,and rightly so-imagine what would happen if he was to tell us .....how many crabs would be there in six months time?.

Stop the bullshit and start fishing is what I reckon.

- my tip is mangroves = mudcrabs ,go look.

Simon

well said Simon...besides, theres not much to gain posting bulls*%t stories anyway.

14 Muddies in 1 day!

Mate, you must be kidding, I have targeted mud crabs in this area for a long time, they do exist but in the number you mention seem unrealistic.

Its a shame your picture doesn't show the Hawkesbury, just a crate of well ties crabs.

We all have great days out but for a haul like that the Sydney Fish Markets would be my call.

Negative first post, but I don't like peolpe getting others hopes up for nothing, petrol is too expensive.

I'd love to see you prove me wrong, maybe a few photos of the crabs with your boat on the Hawkesbury.

Stan that is a pathetic post. Someone has caught more crabs than you & instantly you call them a liar. So no one can catch more than you eh ?

If that is the best you can do for your first post you won't be welcome here for long.

Pathetic !