Hawkesbury Mud Crabbing

samos

Wow, your first post Stan and your ripping shreds already? Nice people here talking civilly and with respect. Heaps of other Forums out there that would almost welcome you talking like that, but you won't get far here.

Go have a fish/crab calm down tell us all your decent crab spots (oops forgot..u got none). I like the passion you've got for your crabs though.....I'm sure we'd all like to see a photo with you with a good crab and a smile!!

and for those that have crab traps - I was talking to an old timer a few months back and many years ago he said a good spot was off Portugese beach in Pittwater, go out 30ish metres and line up the northern point of Portugeuse with the western side of Lion Island. I'm only telling you this because I don't crab so someone else may be able to use the info. (and if you catch any I get the biggest one from your first haul)

Edited by Kingy

I will have to say that I think that it is a little unfair that some of you guys here doubt the integrity of someone that they have never met,let alone someone who has put up a post showing us all ,what in anyones language is one hell of a catch.

There is no doubt that ,that in the Hawkesbury river there would be ideal places that would provide crabs in these numbers,I guess the real question is where!

,I think it unlikely that "crabbin" will enlighten us to any great degree of where he caught them ,and rightly so-imagine what would happen if he was to tell us .....how many crabs would be there in six months time?.

Stop the bullshit and start fishing is what I reckon.

- my tip is mangroves = mudcrabs ,go look.

Simon

Thank You Simon for your concern.

If Stan wants pics of mud crabs with my boat on the Hawkesbury I will give them to him just to show him that i'm not lying.

Youre spot on about mangroves for the mud crabs.

I will have to say that I think that it is a little unfair that some of you guys here doubt the integrity of someone that they have never met,let alone someone who has put up a post showing us all ,what in anyones language is one hell of a catch.

There is no doubt that ,that in the Hawkesbury river there would be ideal places that would provide crabs in these numbers,I guess the real question is where!

,I think it unlikely that "crabbin" will enlighten us to any great degree of where he caught them ,and rightly so-imagine what would happen if he was to tell us .....how many crabs would be there in six months time?.

Stop the bullshit and start fishing is what I reckon.

- my tip is mangroves = mudcrabs ,go look.

Simon

Oh and by the way another tip on catching these mud crabs is

Most of the Mud crabs are caught pretty close to dense mangroves and mouths of creeks in the later part of the afternoon and throughout the night. :thumbup:

14 Muddies in 1 day!

Mate, you must be kidding, I have targeted mud crabs in this area for a long time, they do exist but in the number you mention seem unrealistic.

Its a shame your picture doesn't show the Hawkesbury, just a crate of well ties crabs.

We all have great days out but for a haul like that the Sydney Fish Markets would be my call.

Negative first post, but I don't like peolpe getting others hopes up for nothing, petrol is too expensive.

I'd love to see you prove me wrong, maybe a few photos of the crabs with your boat on the Hawkesbury.

1st post - nice one :thumbdown:

Like most of the other blokes already told you must be fishin in the wrong place, and with negativity like that - rightly so - :thumbup:

14 Muddies in 1 day!

Mate, you must be kidding, I have targeted mud crabs in this area for a long time, they do exist but in the number you mention seem unrealistic.

Its a shame your picture doesn't show the Hawkesbury, just a crate of well ties crabs.

We all have great days out but for a haul like that the Sydney Fish Markets would be my call.

Negative first post, but I don't like peolpe getting others hopes up for nothing, petrol is too expensive.

I'd love to see you prove me wrong, maybe a few photos of the crabs with your boat on the Hawkesbury.

OOOOOhhhhh did it get real cold in here.. or am i sencing someone doesn't catch many mud crabs???? :074:

Mud crabbin: Congradulations on the great feed..

I know absolutly nothing about crabbing but you have inspired me to give it a go!!!

In relation to certain "other" posts :thumbdown:

I guess a little "Wine" makes the crabs that much sweeter!!!! :yahoo:

ENJOY!!! :thumbup:

OOOOOhhhhh did it get real cold in here.. or am i sencing someone doesn't catch many mud crabs???? :074:

Mud crabbin: Congradulations on the great feed..

I know absolutly nothing about crabbing but you have inspired me to give it a go!!!

In relation to certain "other" posts :thumbdown:

I guess a little "Wine" makes the crabs that much sweeter!!!! :yahoo:

ENJOY!!! :thumbup:

Thanks mate, the mud crabs went down beautifully.

By the way most of the crabs were full of meat. :biggrin2:

Cheers mate. :beersmile:

OK I admit it, that was a pathetic post of mine.

The fact that I'm not catching them doesn't mean the're not there & I don't see what mud crabbin has to gain but not tellling the truth.

So, sorry Mud Crabbing and I hope your success continues.

I think I had too many beers after the Melbourne Cup yesterday.

I'll try to be a bit more positive in the future.

Stan.

Seeing as we are on the topic, just wondering what kind of traps you guys recomend. Been meaning to give it a go and i just love eating them. If any nice raider wants to give me some tips that would be greatly apprieciated. :biggrin2: (gee i cant spell!)

Well done mudcrabin on your haul great effort.

I generally use witches hats as you are allowed 5 per person but you have to make sure you have plenty of spare nets as they get ripped to shreds when you get the big crabs tangled in their.:1yikes: :1yikes:

For pots you are only allowed one per person.

Best bait for muddies is fresh mullet. :thumbup:

I generally use witches hats as you are allowed 5 per person but you have to make sure you have plenty of spare nets as they get ripped to shreds when you get the big crabs tangled in their.:1yikes: :1yikes:

For pots you are only allowed one per person.

Best bait for muddies is fresh mullet. :thumbup:

Hi mud_crabbin

Are the traps you buy about $20 each?

Guest bluecod

When I was a kid we used to snare the odd muddy [and some were huge] underneath the road bridge over Terrigal lagoon. We just used to tie a string to a stocking, throw in a mullet head and rock and throw it out, haul it back in a few hours later and occasionally you had dinner.

I take it that its now illegal to go crabbing with a stocking - the "traps" have to be of an approved description???

Geez mate look at the views of the post 2,338... is that a record.

Funny if 2,338 ppl where out crabbing this week end thats alot of chilli.

I know it just keeps on getting higher and higher.

I know it just keeps on getting higher and higher.

soon there will be no mud crabs left.

Stan - it takes a big man to apologise - good on you and welcome to the site. :1welcomeani:

As you can see we're a good bunch who keep it reel (sorry) and stick up for eachother.

Good on you for the mudcrab success (lucky bastard) and keep the posts coming.

Spanker