boat license

allen_f

So... Dad went out with a few mates and bought a boat, nothing special. Its an aluminium runabout with 75 horses on the back. I have a few questions:

1. Where is the best place for me and my dad to get a boat license? Fair price, good course and preferably can be done in a day.

2. What are the limits to the boat? I would like my dad to get out and have fun but be safe most importantly, I have faster reactions than him, I understand the ocean better than he does but I can't be out with him all the time. I told him to keep it in the bay because it was a runabout but if anyone can give some more pointers that would be great :)

Other than that I'm excited to get out in it but deep at heart I'm still a kayaker ;P

hi mate

whereabouts do you live?

i got mine from penrith.

cost me $245 for the license inc practical and theory. takes about 3hrs for the course.

i used to hire a 6m boat with 150hp. best thing to do is know the boat 1st inside the bay or harbour before you take it outside the heads. the weather outside can change from good to bad in minutes. always check the forecast the night before and before u take the boat out on the day. i use willyweather for swell and wind. never take the boat outside the heads if the swell is over 2m and wind over 20knots. always check your safety gear and always your your pfd. goodluck with the new boat. 

G'day Allen, well done Dad on getting a boat which you can both have fun in. Do as fisholb suggests and do the proper boat license course. Think of it like a car. Sure your reactions are probably quicker than your Dads but he is older, wiser, has more life experiences. As with a car, you will both have a different approach to using the boat...but neither of you are going to be reckless. Like a car it takes lots of practice to become experienced so get out on the water and enjoy each others company, while you can. Remember. No fish is worth risking your life for. Keep safe and enjoy any time out on the water, with your Dad. BN

7 hours ago, big Neil said:

G'day Allen, well done Dad on getting a boat which you can both have fun in. Do as fisholb suggests and do the proper boat license course. Think of it like a car. Sure your reactions are probably quicker than your Dads but he is older, wiser, has more life experiences. As with a car, you will both have a different approach to using the boat...but neither of you are going to be reckless. Like a car it takes lots of practice to become experienced so get out on the water and enjoy each others company, while you can. Remember. No fish is worth risking your life for. Keep safe and enjoy any time out on the water, with your Dad. BN

Thank neil, I agree completely with no fish is worth risking your life for especially after the rescue the other day. I will defs be getting a proper boat license so I'm looking at a few places to do it. I was looking for any previous raider experience with license providers :)

12 hours ago, fisholb said:

hi mate

whereabouts do you live?

i got mine from penrith.

cost me $245 for the license inc practical and theory. takes about 3hrs for the course.

i used to hire a 6m boat with 150hp. best thing to do is know the boat 1st inside the bay or harbour before you take it outside the heads. the weather outside can change from good to bad in minutes. always check the forecast the night before and before u take the boat out on the day. i use willyweather for swell and wind. never take the boat outside the heads if the swell is over 2m and wind over 20knots. always check your safety gear and always your your pfd. goodluck with the new boat. 

Thanks fisholb, I'm in the bexley area so I get access to the georges and the hacking to practise. I'll need to get used to the boat first as I did with my yak. I probably wont be taking it out to the heads anytime soon and just practise inside the bay and deeper channels in the hacking :) Do you mind pm'ing which place you got your license please?

53 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Allen there are many ways to do the test.

Have a look here at Marine Rescue NSW - some units conduct courses in boat licence, radio etc

http://www.marinerescuensw.com.au/boating-education/boat-a-pwc-licences  look at their calendar

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/maritime/licence/boat-pwc/ RMS rules

Thanks Donna!!

Guest Guest123456789
12 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Allen there are many ways to do the test.

Have a look here at Marine Rescue NSW - some units conduct courses in boat licence, radio etc

http://www.marinerescuensw.com.au/boating-education/boat-a-pwc-licences  look at their calendar

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/maritime/licence/boat-pwc/ RMS rules

+1 for marine rescue. Gosford stopped doing it, Terrigal doesn't do it so I went to Lake Macquarie and did it there (the theory part). Probably a bit far for you Allen but hopefully one is closer by.

i had one of the older guys doing the theory and we got a lot of anecdotes about how people had gotten into trouble that he had rescued, absolutely priceless. 

the weather-wind and swell-dictates how /how fast or slow/the boat is driven.Feel nervous=slow down.A guy used to to fish the Peak in a kayak, he is still around.His extra skill was weather predicting.Always submit to the conditions,don't push your luck on the ocean.The limits of any boats is commonsense on the day.Most days no need to worry at all.Cheers..

I did mine yesterday with a company with mostly letters as its name, think alphabet. It was actually an excellent 1 day course. Theory in the morning, the written multi choice test and then an afternoon in the boat. Very practical common sense approach. I've been boating for 25 years or so without a license and thought it was about time I got one :)

Matt

15 hours ago, wizza said:

the weather-wind and swell-dictates how /how fast or slow/the boat is driven.Feel nervous=slow down.A guy used to to fish the Peak in a kayak, he is still around.His extra skill was weather predicting.Always submit to the conditions,don't push your luck on the ocean.The limits of any boats is commonsense on the day.Most days no need to worry at all.Cheers..

Thanks wizza! Being in the kayak has helped me judge swell and weather now as its a one man gig! Super excited to get out and see how the boat goes! Thanks for the advice :)

1 hour ago, macman said:

I did mine yesterday with a company with mostly letters as its name, think alphabet. It was actually an excellent 1 day course. Theory in the morning, the written multi choice test and then an afternoon in the boat. Very practical common sense approach. I've been boating for 25 years or so without a license and thought it was about time I got one :)

Matt

Thanks matt! I was actually looking at their course too! I'll have to book one in this week :)

1 hour ago, macman said:

Matt

That company has been around for years and is reputable. Wish they would advertise here with us.

I always wanted to get a fishraider group going but could not find a company to partner with.

Go try them out Allen

Thanks so much guys, another question is my dad is okay with english probs a 6/10 LMAO not sure how he survived 20+ years in aus with it but just curious if the theory can be done in chinese? if anyone has any sort of insight there, I'll be booking one down hopefully this week :)

4 hours ago, allen_f said:

Thanks so much guys, another question is my dad is okay with english probs a 6/10 LMAO not sure how he survived 20+ years in aus with it but just curious if the theory can be done in chinese? if anyone has any sort of insight there, I'll be booking one down hopefully this week :)

Most likely Allen, though I've no personal experience. Most Government organisations try to assist our multi cultural residents in this way. Just ask them mate. BN

3 minutes ago, macman said:

there were two chinese guys in my course. one of them had next to no english and they both passed :) They were doing different tests by the way.

awesome thank you! I'll be booking with them this arvo then :) You're the best!! 

Edited by allen_f