First tailor and longtom (edited)

smc2010

After some suggestions and advice from some raiders I gave pier 2 a shot Friday night, not much happening most of the evening, striking to early on what seemed to be a strong take I lost it. A couple of hours later the only take after I landed my first tailor. He fell to salted pilchard. Saturday being of work at late noticed I made my way up central coast way with a mate. I think it was lake maquarie and spent all evening into the early hours getting the odd small bream, snapper and leather jackets. the  livies were untouched. Up early this morning in central coast and we missed a few fish but we're hounded with small fish stripping hooks. In the last hour I guess I landed my first garfish and probably be my pb for a while it measured out at 76cm. I assume this would be the higher side of the average size??20170226_151605.jpeg

Snapchat-572038186.jpg

received_10158225526700247.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Mike89 said:

Nice catch! Great to see you really getting into your fishing.

Where do you find long tom? Anywhere around the harbour I could target them?

I got it up lake macquarie area, not sure of exact area mate, a buddy brought me up 

23 hours ago, smc2010 said:

I got it up lake macquarie area, not sure of exact area mate, a buddy brought me up 

It's Mannering Park mate, the power station outlet is across the water from you. Just off Rutleys road. I used to chase longtom and bream on surface lures across on the other side of the bank where the outlet is. Always a good spot for some unusual encounters, I have seen a bloke pull up a good 4ft hammerhead in a boat maybe 50m from where you were fishing! 

Used to catch a lot of longtom in Darwin while fishing for Queenies. Last week a guy caught one in Burrill Lake, South Coast NSW. Didn't know they occurred this far south.

Edited by Holls

22 hours ago, Holls said:

Used to catch a lot of longtom in Darwin while fishing for Queenies. Last week a guy caught one in Burrill Lake, South Coast NSW. Didn't know they occurred this far south.

A queenie or long tom? There's loads of long toms down this way....i  wish there  were queenies ?

On ‎9‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 8:52 AM, Holls said:

Saw a dead one in Lake Illawarra when I was a kid. Measuring it against me it was about 4 feet long and about 5 inches wide, and had some of the most dangerous teeth ever seen on a fish.

Quite a few in Port Hacking at times, though smaller sizes.